1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jelena Dokic and Sam Stosur lead Australia past Korea in Fed Cup

UPDATE: Courtney Walsh | February 04, 2009

Article from: The Australian
A STRAIGHT sets victory by Samantha Stosur has given Australia an unbeatable 2-0 lead in its first Federation Cup tie against Korea in Perth today.

Stosur, Australia's top-ranked player, was dominant early in the match against Ra-Ye Lee, but like Jelena Dokic in the opening rubber, was errant in the second set before winning 6-2 6-4.

In the doubles match Casey Dellacqua and Rennae Stubbs face Lee Jin-A and Chang Mi Kyung in a rubber that, while it will not affect the match, could have an impact later in the week.

Australia needs to win the Asia/Oceania zone of the Federation Cup to return to the top tier of competition but despite being heavily favoured in the same event in Thailand last year, missed qualifying for the final by a set after dropping a match against Indonesia.

Earlier, Dokic proved far superior against Jin-A, winning 6-0 6-3 in less than an hour.

In her first Federation Cup match since 2000, Dokic cruised through against an opponent ranked 305 with a minimum of difficulty.

Dokic, whose ranking is now 91 following her effort to reach the quarter-finals of the Australian Open last week, did struggle on serve late in the first set and through the second set as she struggled to adapt to blustery conditions.

The right-hander, whose power from the baseline overwhelmed her 22-year-old opponent, faced break points in four successive service games but had rectified the problem by match's end.

The biggest problem facing Dokic was her lack of knowledge about her opponent, with the Australian revealing she did not know until the warm-up that Jin-A was left-handed.

"I did enough, I did my job ... I'm happy with the win today," Dokic said.

"This week is not about me, this week is about us and Australia and the Fed Cup team.

"We expect to do well and we expect to win."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts