Tennis Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second set was the messiest set of tennis I've seen all year. Just UE after UE, no consistency from both off the serve and off the ground.

First and third sets were very good from Petra though, used the wind really well to her advantage. That final set in particular was some glorious ballstriking.

I felt though that both Jelena and Petra didn't hit their groundstrokes at full pace today, particularly Petra. More like 3/4 pace for Petra, using more angles and letting the wind do the job. 8 match win-streak in Doha for Petra now dating back to 2018 where she won the title (didn't play last year).

Petra gets Pliskova or Jabeur in the next round. I feel like she has a chance against both, but she needs to improve because with the way she served today it's going to be really difficult for her if she doesn't raise the potency of her serve.

The Doha CC crowd is absolutely horrific though, don't even think there's more than 100 people watching. Plus the conditions aren't exactly suitable for good tennis to be played either.

·
Registered
8,542 Posts
First time Petra defeats Jelena in 3 sets, both times it went to 3, Jelena won.
Surprised to see such a one-way traffic in set 3, glad Petra regrouped.
2nd serve points won by both are horrific in that set 2, so many DFs too.

4 tournament of the year for Petra, 4th QF, consistant results this year so far.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I thought this would be big ball striking - and there was some of that - but the wind was horrendous! Didn’t make for the expected shoot out. Petra played a smarter match and really should have won in 2 but I like Ostapenko too so I was happy to see her play well. Her DTL forehand caught Petra quite a few times. Jelena can match Petra for power but her control wasn’t there.
Very happy to see Petra get the win. Ons Jabeur next who will be tricky with a home crowd yelling her on. She can mix it up and mess with Petra like she sis to Pliskova, but Petra is a more adaptable player. great chance for her to make a SF

·
Registered
797 Posts
...Very happy to see Petra get the win. Ons Jabeur next who will be tricky with a home crowd yelling her on.
How can you call this a "home crowd?" Just because they're all Muslims? She lives in Tunisia - a whole continent away from Doha. That's like saying Wimbledon is a home venue for Madison Keys or any of the Muscovites, where they all get rapturous support at different times!

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
How can you call this a "home crowd?" Just because they're all Muslims? She lives in Tunisia - a whole continent away from Doha. That's like saying Wimbledon is a home venue for Madison Keys or any of the Muscovites, where they all get rapturous support at different times!
But it is the closest to a home crowd that Jabeur will get, and for this tournament as well. And if you tuned into any of Ons matches this week in Doha the difference in atmospheres and crowd size is obvious.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Well, I can't go wrong with two of my faves playing. Aljona probably needed this one more but I never have a problem with Petra winning. I think she can go all the way now!

·
Registered
797 Posts
But it is the closest to a home crowd that Jabeur will get, and for this tournament as well. And if you tuned into any of Ons matches this week in Doha the difference in atmospheres and crowd size is obvious.
I know it's the "closest" that she'll get to a home crowd, unless she plays ITF in Monastir, but it's not a "home" crowd. Julia Goerges gets far more support in Auckland than she ever does in Germany, but you still wouldn't call Stanley Street her "home" crowd. A "home away from home" maybe. Perhaps Jabeur can look at Doha in the same way.

·
Registered
53,425 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts