Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neck issue for Kasatkina.
Bellis was more solid overall and deserved the win but sad to see a retirement.

·
Registered
114,484 Posts
Kasatkina took a spill late in set 1. Anyway, next 2 opponents are Keys & Pliskova, so better to stop and get healthy
Kasatkina looked bad the whole match. She needs the week off

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
:eek: How bad was the neck issue and what did she have done to it treatment wise?? Neck issues can be very serious sometimes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Congrats to Cici !! Saw her at Cincy Open last year at a practice session. Not too much crowd yet and she stuck around to sign autographs and take selfies for everyone.

To me, she looks like the next superstar. She's got the look, charm and skills (okay, the skills part needs a little work but she is so young).

·
Registered
15,425 Posts
Congrats to Cici !! Saw her at Cincy Open last year at a practice session. Not too much crowd yet and she stuck around to sign autographs and take selfies for everyone.

To me, she looks like the next superstar. She's got the look, charm and skills (okay, the skills part needs a little work but she is so young).
Bellis gets so little love here for some strange reason, for me she’s in the top tier in terms of talented youngsters

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
:eek: How bad was the neck issue and what did she have done to it treatment wise?? Neck issues can be very serious sometimes.
just your normal contracture. She took a pill and recieved neck massages . Some days of rest, massages and rehab with ultrasound or electrostimulation and she should be fine.

Reactions: SoulDeath

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
And Kasatkina, retired while down 5-7 1-4 15-40?
You mean she would have retired had she been leading 4-1 40-15 in that second set? I don't think so.
Just stand up like a woman and take the beating. You are only 1 game away. Won't make much a difference. I hate when girls retire at something like 6-2 5-1. Just play that last game. Don't deny your opponent a straight victory.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
You mean she would have retired had she been leading 4-1 40-15 in that second set? I don't think so.
Just stand up like a woman and take the beating. You are only 1 game away. Won't make much a difference. I hate when girls retire at something like 6-2 5-1. Just play that last game. Don't deny your opponent a straight victory.
Bellis was going to win anyway. Why bother to make an injury worse? Next week there's another tournament :smash:

·
Registered
5,371 Posts

I like Bellis and agree that she's got a lot of tools to be a very big name in the sport. Age and nationality in addition to the other things you mention, but her height and slight build is a massive disadvantage. I know she has had wins over bigger, stronger players, but if you compare her with other young players bursting on to the scene like Sabalenka (who admittedly is a one off with her build at that age) then she is going to get overpowered in a lot of matches. But that's a good win and with a decent showing in Sydney, it's a fairly encouraging start to the year after a very disappointing last few months of 2017.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You mean she would have retired had she been leading 4-1 40-15 in that second set?
If she had been leading like that, there likely would not have been a neck-issue in the first place ;-)

It is a hypothetical question, starting with the assumption that someone with that kind of neck issue would be able to lead 4-1 40-15....

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
I like Bellis and agree that she's got a lot of tools to be a very big name in the sport. Age and nationality in addition to the other things you mention, but her height and slight build is a massive disadvantage. I know she has had wins over bigger, stronger players, but if you compare her with other young players bursting on to the scene like Sabalenka (who admittedly is a one off with her build at that age) then she is going to get overpowered in a lot of matches. But that's a good win and with a decent showing in Sydney, it's a fairly encouraging start to the year after a very disappointing last few months of 2017.
On one hand I agree that CiCi's disadvantages are her relative physical weakness and short frame (1.70 m). But she's still so young (< 19), so at least she has the time to pick up some muscles, and become a much better player. I can see her in the Top 10 in a couple of years. (Now she's around No.45.)

The height disadvantage is harder to overcome, but in my view she can be the last short girl (< 1.70 m) having a chance for the top spot.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
On one hand I agree that CiCi's disadvantages are her relative physical weakness and short frame (1.70 m). But she's still so young (< 19), so at least she has the time to pick up some muscles, and become a much better player. I can see her in the Top 10 in a couple of years. (Now she's around No.45.)

The height disadvantage is harder to overcome, but in my view she can be the last short girl (< 1.70 m) having a chance for the top spot.
Hmm, I hope you're right as she is definitely someone I would want to see do well, but I honestly think she will do well to peak inside the top 15. Still, very young though so time definitely on her side.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts

Yes, she is the next superstar. :worship:

·
Registered
8,223 Posts

Bellis gets so little love here for some strange reason, for me she’s in the top tier in terms of talented youngsters
You had annika beck as fave,no wonder you think so high of chichi bratis and as new replacement ,suits perfectly ,one of biggest basic pushers :lol: +she is overhyped.Nothing strange about it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts