Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Petra plays Buyukakcay in Doha on Tuesday. Potentially Radwanska then Svitolina. Let's see if she carries her form from St Petersburg and Fed Cup to Doha.

Don't really expect much from her in Doha, but I am happy she'll play Dubai since the courts are nice and quick

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Re: Doha, Dubai, Indian Wells & Miami

Among those 4 tournaments, i'm sure Petra will crash out early in 2 of them and reach QF or SF in the other 2 as is her typical MO :lol:

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Among those 4 tournaments, i'm sure Petra will crash out early in 2 of them and reach QF or SF in the other 2 as is her typical MO :lol:
Haha yeah probably, she never went beyond the quarterfinals in Doha, Indian Wells and Miami. Of course she won Dubai back in 2013

·
Registered
4,685 Posts

i'm just wondering how her body will adjust to the change in weather again...

i would like to see her pick up the IW trophy...the air is dry there...it's an okay paced HC...there's no reason why she can't win

·
Registered
11,305 Posts

Did u guys watch her fed cup matches ? She wasn't really looking fresh !!! :lol:

Such a shame that Doha is P5 this year. Who the fuck does this scheduling of tournaments. Why the second big tournament of the year is right after Fed Cup ?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts

Did u guys watch her fed cup matches ? She wasn't really looking fresh !!! :lol:

Such a shame that Doha is P5 this year. Who the fuck does this scheduling of tournaments. Why the second big tournament of the year is right after Fed Cup ?
i only watched the highlights of her 1st match and it was not very good :SNE:

she prob put a lot mentally into that st. petersburg title win and felt drained for FC

i guess the good thing is that the confidence seems to be alright again and she managed to win even w/o playing her best...if she can carry w/ that into the rest of the season and know that she can win ugly, that will help a lot

·
Registered
11,305 Posts

i only watched the highlights of her 1st match and it was not very good :SNE:

she prob put a lot mentally into that st. petersburg title win and felt drained for FC

i guess the good thing is that the confidence seems to be alright again and she managed to win even w/o playing her best...if she can carry w/ that into the rest of the season and know that she can win ugly, that will help a lot
I don't think we should read too much into this. She had almost everything in her favor last two weeks. Surface, weather, motivation, Indoors etc. Also, by bombing out early at AO, didn't burn herself out.

She will have her usual ups and downs in regular wta tournaments,I reckon. Actually Doha/Dubai are her last chances before Madrid to improve her ranking. She will definitely bomb out of all the other tournaments in first three rounds.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts

I don't think we should read too much into this. She had almost everything in her favor last two weeks. Surface, weather, motivation, Indoors etc. Also, by bombing out early at AO, didn't burn herself out.

She will have her usual ups and downs in regular wta tournaments,I reckon. Actually Doha/Dubai are her last chances before Madrid to improve her ranking. She will definitely bomb out of all the other tournaments in first three rounds.
true...she also faced opponents that matched up well against her also

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Doha R1: Petra Kvitova d. Cagla Buyukakcay 6-0 6-3

A very good first set from Petra, Cagla played *slightly* better in the second and Petra started to miss more.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts

Petra played "adequate". Nothing spectacular. Just didn't hit herself out of the court although some of those errors were hilariously bad. This level is enough for her to avoid losing to journeywomen on WTA.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts

saw some of the highlights...I like that Petra is not going full throttle in her shots...I noticed in the 1st set of this match and the final in St. Petersburg that she's making more of a concerted effort to play within herself and not go for so much when she doesn't need to - when her opponent isn't that good or playing well

·
Registered
3,677 Posts

At 9-2 for the season so far, Petra is on track to have a good year. That's well above her career average winning %. It's a shame, of course, that the seven consecutive wins were at St. Petersburg and Fed Cup instead of in Melbourne, but then again, Petkovic has always been an inexplicably difficult matchup for Petra.

Reactions: RU90

·
Registered
14,619 Posts

She beat Agnieszka 67 63 64.
Served for the first set at 65, lost serve, lost the tiebreak, but came back to win in the end.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts

9th win in a row. Meets her punching bag Svitolina next. Watched Svitolina's match and she didn't play good. So even a tired Petra should win unless Svitolina miraculously improves.

But whatever happens in the next match, it's such a good win for more reasons than one.

1) Needed to win a match against Aga. Radwanska is in the lowest ebb of her career and if Petra cannot beat her now, then it'd be tough beating her at any time.

2) By her own admission she was tired as fuck. But she didn't let it go even though there isn't much riding on this match. Looks like she wanted to beat Aga as much as we wanted her to. Also the coach motivated her pretty well. She played well after every time he came to talk to her.

3) The conditions weren't great. It was quite windy which doesn't suit big hitters. The surface was very low bouncing and it made Radwanska's flat shots even more difficult to handle. Kvitova had to bend a lot and was caught off guard many a time.

4) So many leads came and gone. But she didn't let those affect her game in a big way. Failed to serve for set1, failed to serve for set2 ( at 5-1) , and looked like she was going to get broken when she was serving for the match in the third but then she somehow righted the ship.

5) The win streak is going to a huge confidence booster. Its been some years she had multiple wins in three tournaments in a row in three weeks. YEARS.

Reactions: RU90

·
Registered
14,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Petra was exhausted after that insane match against Kerber at Wuhan. We all thought she'd lose easily to Konta, but easily beat her instead. Let's hope for a similar scenario tomorrow. It's good that she's grinding out these wins. Good test for her physically. She's fighting as well - at the moment we could ask for anymore. Well done Petra!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts

So PROUD of Petra for weathering the storm of Aga's junk and pulling out the win - TBH, I didn't think she had it in her after losing the 1st set

this is the most fit I've seen her and I think she can get to the latter stages if she stays calm and doesn't get anxious

·
Registered
11,305 Posts

With this win, Petra also enters top 20 for the 1st time since she came back. Reaching top 10 within one year of her comeback would be remarkable.

Reactions: SoulDeath
1 - 20 of 141 Posts