Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that when players are about to be bageled and I am not talking about down 0-3 cos there is a possibility of a comeback but why do opponents not just finish the last game when they are down 0-5? I think that it's disrespectful to the other player no matter if the loser was hurt or not. I mean if they were injured and made it to 0-5 why couldn't they make it one more game....

I'm talking bout E. likhovtseva retiring after being down 0-5....

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
i know, same here. i mean what's the point? if u were hurting bad, why did u wait for 0-5 instead of pulling out before? maybe she thought she ha da chance but i mean if ur injured, how can you win? she should have just sucked it up and have been bageled in the second set or she should have retired before it got to 0-5

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Who cares about disrespect when your in pain and you dont feel like going on. The oppent wont be there if they have to nurse an injury so why care what they may find disrespectful.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
depends when the injury started and what the injury is!

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
You retire because you have a life, and hopefully a career after that match, why take the chance of further injurring yourself?

·
Registered
843 Posts
maccardel said:
I've noticed that when players are about to be bageled and I am not talking about down 0-3 cos there is a possibility of a comeback but why do opponents not just finish the last game when they are down 0-5? I think that it's disrespectful to the other player no matter if the loser was hurt or not. I mean if they were injured and made it to 0-5 why couldn't they make it one more game....

I'm talking bout E. likhovtseva retiring after being down 0-5....
*cough* Venus *cough*

no seriously, i don't have any problem with that: when youre down 0-3, you can still come back, when youre down 0-4, just as well, but once your one game away from losing, doesn't it make sense to retire and not risk aggravating your injury?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Yeah why continue playing when the French is in a week?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Well - I personally feel that when I am playing someone and they retire right before I win - sometimes I am relieved! But then sometimes I am a little irked because I felt like they didnt want me to have the satisfaction of finishing, and them losing - they feel as if they get some consolation by saying "Well, I had to retire because I was hurt - they didnt actually finish the match and beat me."
It just depends on the match - I would like to win, no matter if I destroy them and finish - or if they cant hack it anymore and retire. But I have been on the other side of it to - I have had to retire in 1 of my matches cause of leg cramps. He was 2 games away from beating me - and I just couldnt even walk anymore. My calf was all distorted looking and the muscle was all pushed up - really hurt. I had just won a 3 set marathon 1st rd that morning, and wasnt hydrated enough for my 2nd rd (learned my lesson).

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Been there done that...And my buddy still had to get me to retire from the match. I was sent to the emergency room and had three bags of IV pumped into me to rehydrate.

If you retire from a match you have lost, because you were unable to compete.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David de pingwin said:
*cough* Venus *cough*

no seriously, i don't have any problem with that: when youre down 0-3, you can still come back, when youre down 0-4, just as well, but once your one game away from losing, doesn't it make sense to retire and not risk aggravating your injury?

venus at least won a set and therefore the injury was more evident. Against Justine at Amelia Island even thought she was down 0-4, she still played and yes she did win the match.

I find it kinda tacky that the injured player could have at least allowed her opponent the win...0-5 , oh I'm gonna retire now so the bitch won't bagel me....come on...that is a cop out!!!!!!!!

If a player forfeits at 0-5 then the rule should be an automatic 0-6 scoreline....

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
maccardel said:
venus at least won a set and therefore the injury was more evident. Against Justine at Amelia Island even thought she was down 0-4, she still played and yes she did win the match.

I find it kinda tacky that the injured player could have at least allowed her opponent the win...0-5 , oh I'm gonna retire now so the bitch won't bagel me....come on...that is a cop out!!!!!!!!

If a player forfeits at 0-5 then the rule should be an automatic 0-6 scoreline....
::nods::

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
What diff. does it make? 0-5 or 0-6....u still get a win.

If the injurred player just stands there for a game and lets balls wizz by them, they'd be booed and vilified(nobody likes a quitter). Remeber when Carl Lewis didnt take his last jump at the Olympics? And if they retire we get a thread like this...so...????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts