Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I'm criticizing anyone or anything. But I just find it strange that it seems whoever wins Wimbledon will become a lot more famous than those who win the other 3's. (Justine vs Maria). Conchita seems to be remembered a lot more for her single Wimbledon crown than for the others. Also the Williams sisters no need to say more, even my friends think Venus is still #1 in the world (they just think the older one is ranked a bit higher). And no one, and I mean no one knows about Iva Majoli or Nastya Myskina. And Mary Pierce with 2 slams dont seem to get the recognition she needs to get like to be picked as a favourite to win slams etc. And finally Martina Hingis was a relatively no one until the headline came out she won Wimbledon Do you guys find that?

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not so much for US Open though, Justine was still nowhere to be found for that. Maybe to the Americans it does, but to the rest of the world, it's Wimbledon.

·
Banned
23,113 Posts
Helen Lawson said:
Wimbledon is like the Best Actress Oscar, once you're in, YOU'RE IN LIKE FLYNN BABY!! Instant and permanent stardom.
You know your stuff.. :worship:

Of course, Wimbledon is one and only. Everything else is second Tier. Unless, of course, your name is Conchita Martinez.

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
ys said:
You know your stuff.. :worship:

Of course, Wimbledon is one and only. Everything else is second Tier. Unless, of course, your name is Conchita Martinez.
....Or Karen Susman.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
Not as famous as beating a Williams sister.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
To the non-tennis fans (general public), Wimbledon is like the Super-Bowl of tennis. It's larger than life. It's the biggest tournament EVER. So yes, winning Wimbledon makes you famous.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Does winning Wimbledon make you famous!?
No. Marrying George Lazenby does though.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sharapova will be famous for "ever". Sho won Wimbledon at a young age by beating a Williams (AND the worlds best player) on the world's grandest stage.....And she not bad looking either.......and YES...she is white. For her, all the planets were in the proper alignment.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I suppose Maria Sharapova is the perfect girl to win the Wimbledon then:).

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
It is ironic that Wimbledon remains the most famous tennis tournament in the world when the surface it is played on, grass, is used today in relatively few tournaments. In fact, Wimbly is the only important tournament still played on grass.

But it certainly does get more recognition in the general media than any other tennis event, the US Open included.

But I would not particularly put any stock in the idea of Americans who are not tennis fans know nothing about tennis except Wimbledon. Americans in general are net very well informed people. Sports stars like Michael Schumacher and David Beckham remain almost unknowns in America, even though their accomplishments, especially Schumacher's, drawf the accomplishments of most American athletes.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe it is because Wimbledon IS played on grass as opposed to usual hardcourt.
And there are just so many things that are special. And some Europeans dont like:p US Open and some adore Roland Garros more than Wimbledon. Everyone has their choice, but all know the grass slam trophy is the highest honour in tennis. I do hope Justine will touch it one day.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Does winning Wimbledon make you famous!?
It at least gets u your 15 minutes of fame!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Famous amongst tennis fans but I have feeling if you were to go on the street and ask the general public who Maria Sharapova was they would still not know, but if you asked them who Martina N, Steffi G or who the williams sisters are they could tell you, so I think Maria has to do more than win wimbledon to be really famous.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jaygee said:
Famous amongst tennis fans but I have feeling if you were to go on the street and ask the general public who Maria Sharapova was they would still not know, but if you asked them who Martina N, Steffi G or who the williams sisters are they could tell you, so I think Maria has to do more than win wimbledon to be really famous.
I do think Maria Sharapova is more popular than you think.
She was named one of the most influential teen by some magazine even before she won anything. Carrying a Russian nationality does not bode as well against those who carry US nationality. But I do think at least 1 out of 5 people can tell who she is.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
CJK said:
I do think Maria Sharapova is more popular than you think.
She was named one of the most influential teen by some magazine even before she won anything. Carrying a Russian nationality does not bode as well against those who carry US nationality. But I do think at least 1 out of 5 people can tell who she is.
1 out of 5 from where?

·
Banned
5,053 Posts
Jana Novotna, Conchita Martinez and Lindsay Davenport are not "famous".

I don't think winning Wimbledon makes you that much more famous than winning the French Open or the US Open. If the Williams would have win the French Open instead of winning Wimbledon titles, they would be as famous as they currently are.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts