Tennis Forum banner

Wimbledon

• I like Wimbledon's traditions, they are what make it special. The starting times and rest day shoul

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • Wimbledon needs to come into the 21st century, placing the player's needs above tradition.

Votes: 18 45.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Wimbledon has bad weather, that is something that cannot be changed.

However, by the same token Wimbledon does not, in my opinion, do enough to minimise the effects of their bad weather.

I mean, NO first round matches starting until 12 PM, and the centre court not starting until 1 PM?

And the rest day? Please :rolleyes:

At the other slams, where there is invariably far less rain, the schedules are far more sensible. At the Melbourne Park, outside courts in the first week begin at 10 AM, with the centre court at 11 AM. At Roland Garros and Flushing Meadows all matches start at 11. In addition to this, Australia has a roof, and both Australia and the US play night matches.

Now i understand that grass has special needs. Is it very slippery early in the morning and at night? I'm sure however that by ten or eleven o'clock the courts are playable and there is NO excuse for the centre court starting so late, especially in the first week. I have a sneaking suspicion that the major reason for keeping the late starting times is tradition and fogeyism, which would be OK if it was not effecting the players, but it is. Every year there is a backlog of matches and one or more players are placed at a disadvantage (not tim henman of course ;) ). Playing for an extra two or three hours in the morning during the first week, and on the rest day, will of course not supply all the solutions to London's inclement weather, but I have no doubt that it will help. Wimbledon can't afford to have such restricted times of play, being limited by both the weather and the going down of the sun.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i think they should start the matches earlier at least when matches get delayed the day before and the schedule starts getting really tight. and the rest day, well im not sure about that, i'd like there not to be one but thats coz i want to see tennis everyday i can. i guess maybe they should keep some tradition.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
Let them do whatever they want. I like the rest day, and I'm sure the players do too. It's nice for the event. It's only the obsessive fans that get hurt, and we are expendable.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I like it the way they got it. If it works for my fave, it works for me.....and from the looks of it they are not about to relinquish their grip on that silver platter.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
A curious bump.

Wimbledon have, of course, moved start of play to 11.00 am on the outside courts. If you're not in the queue by 6am you won't get in to see the start of play so that's not a plus.

The rest day is traditional rather than practical though it does give the officials, ballkids and most workers around the grounds a day's rest. And I like Wimbledon giving the women centre stage for the quarters & semis when other slams feel they have to feature men's matches on every day.

·
Registered
115,257 Posts
IDK. They have a major, so they can mess around any way they want
I remember on a sunny day in Melbourne they stopped Serena/Kuznetsova after Sveta won set 1 to close the roof. TA said they had a formula. So players all day were in the heat, and suddenly it was one degree too hot and they stopped mid match to make it comfortable
Of course these ITF bodies are filled with old white men who want to show they are in control
So its life. Thats how politics work also

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Only the queues peeved me to the core.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
London is so far to the north that they have daylight till about 10 PM or 20:00 in the summer. So, they probably have plenty of time to get all the matches in.
Also, none of us know who much time in the morning that is needed to get the grass courts prepared. Concrete courts take no time and clay courts take very little time, but grass is a living breathing (CO2) creature.

·
Premium Member
43,731 Posts
Without tradition the grass courts wouldn't even exist anymore. Long live traditions.

·
Registered
850 Posts
They've been doing this tournament for 150 years, I'm pretty sure they got it down to a science by now.

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
I saw some of those old posters from here were banned and went to take a look at their profiles

Not all white people are racists you know:) Not all white people like Sharapova. Not all white people are happy that Serena and Venus are not at their best :mad:

You asked when does a white person pass a chance to bring blacks down? If there were that many mean white people, wouldn't blacks still be living in slavery?! White people brought slavery down in america, not black people by themselves, so at least you could acknowledge that some whites are actually GOOD PEOPLE
yet, I've never met any. It must be my demographics.
CORRECTION! Blacks brought down slavery and to be honest we are still fighting some form of slavery, but it was nice that you tried to give us a little credit for not continuing to be inprison by your people besides if it were not from white people there would have not been any slavery, but than again I will acknowledge the fact you are trying to give us some credit. :rolleyes:

I guess some things never change. Plus it's interesting, Renatards were already pressed about Sharapova in 2004, more than 15 years ago.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Wasn't the rest day supposed to give the grass a breather so it can grow a little? Is there a TF resident gardener?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.