Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They never seem to make it through the whole year without pulling out of tournaments with one injury or another and rarely play more than a dozen tournaments in a season.

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Serena is a hypochondriac!:eek:;)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
We can't really answer that question until we see them play an entire year.

Personally, I think Venus is naturally prone to injury and that Serena has been a little unlucky with injuries.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Does VENUS and SERENA have the stamina? Yes.
Are they so injury prone that they will probably have shortened seasons? Yes.
I am rather pessimistic about either of them playing in 25 or more events, but I do see them still able to win titles, Grand Slams and stay in the top ten.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Yes and No. Actually it depends on how one defines a YEAR..
Do you mean 23 tourneys or a entire year? Imho alot of ladies on the tour can't play 23 tourneys and stay injury free at all. We all know who they are.. lol

Don't worry Fingon we won't bite you.. lol

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
RowR!:p

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the last I checked a year starts in January and ends in December, or at least that's what my Anna calendar says.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
jrj - Last I checked, a tennis season does not encompass an entire 12 month calendar. The ANNA calendar must also include personal appearances, as well.:rolleyes: :wavey:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Well if your using that as your guideline then ALOT of players with Venus and Serena included can't play the entire year. So this is not about ONLY Venus and Serena.

Last year.. players who didn't play the entire year due to injury

Pierce
Anna(calender girl)Kornikova
Martina Hingis
Lindsay
Seles
Serena
Venus
Petrova-(I think)
Rubin

This is just a short list of players who couldn't make it thru the whole year. last year.

I kinda forgot about the year before last but I know it was quite a few as well.:)

Now this year we have..

Serena
Lindsay
Clijsters(she is off due to injury for 3 weeks)
Rubin
Pierce

Just to name a few.. the season/year is still quite young.:)

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
186,300 Posts
Hello!

I have a better question: Does Dawn Marie have the stamina to go all night? :kiss: :kiss:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Stamina is really not the problem concerning these two.. V&R. ..(that is) They both played alot of matches and points. Won some huge tourneys and Venus won two slams. Serena made it to a final. Believe it or not.. some players can play 23 tourneys but still not play as much tennis as players who make it to finals and such. Venus just has a delicate body build and her game is hard on her bones and muscles... but as far as Stamina .. that she has.:)

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Barri, I don't go to bed until 6 in the morning.. now what do you think?? LOL:kiss:

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Venus and Serena have the stamina to play an entire year, and they usually do. They simply play fewer tournaments, and that's because they play well enough to be able to afford to.

The Williams have wonderful stamina when you consider the number of matches they play. For other players, the number of tournaments played sometimes almost equals the number of matches played. In other words, those players make very early exits from tourmanents. On the other hand, the Williams often play nearly through the entire draw, if not win. So whereas Venus only played 13 tournaments, she has 6 titles and almost, if not 30 matches to show for it. Those 30 or so matches are for her wins, she has even more matches under her belt for the tourneys she didn't win.

So yes, the Williams do have the stamina to continue playing an entire year. And they have the titles to prove it.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
BR - Damn good analysis! :)
That is quite true. Many players play more events, but they may get knocked out in the first or second rounds.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I guess I scared Barri off:kiss:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Rexx n Effect! Marie bringing you to your knees! Red messin' with your head!

Well... looks like Rexx, Marie, and Red have this area in TOTAL CONTROL. :wavey:

Red is something else, eh Rexx!:)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Thanks Tee-Rexx and GrandSlammed. We'll show 'em.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
LOL:)

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
There have been some good points made.

I would agree that both Venus and Serena have exhibited much stamina during tournaments. Venus beating 3 top 10 players in 48 hours was a great example of this. (I'm sure some Williams fan can come up with the details of that, as I can't quite remember!)

And, frankly, I'm not sure that the question of whether or not either could make it through the year is really relevant. Success in tennis is about working out what kind of schedule suits your body type. Venus seems to have got her schedule sorted - she's able to peak at the right times. Serena should maybe try playing a little more, but I'm sure she's working these things out for herself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some players need to play more often than others to keep sharp, others benefit from time off to train. Each to their own.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.