Tennis Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
182,448 Posts
Vera's had a pretty disappointing year and hasn't made progress up the WTA ( maybe this is cos her rank was boosted quite a lot by one win over Elena Bovina in Moscow)

She can redeem herself if she helps Russia to success in the Connelly Continental Cup , that tourn is held in much higher esteem than any individual event.

Vera is a bit lightweight when it comes to the crunch , pretty effective but when it comes to the mixer .... she finds it hard.

as for the juniors ...... just see my signature , I've had my eyes on Vera Douchevina for the last 2 years or so.<br /> she still hasn't played on WTA (well no pts anyway)

look out for Vera's partner in crime , Dasha Chemarda ( 9 months older) but no less a talent.

There are quite alot of others on the way too , we might lose Eugenia Linetskaya to Belgium but we wont miss her. She will probably be the next Belgian in top 100.

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: TheBoiledEgg ]</p>

·
Premium Member
182,448 Posts
We got pretty good strength and the talent keeps coming thru.

We're not the only country that's got very good juniors.

3 countries spring to mind , Russia , Czech Rep and Slovakia.

The three have dominated junior team events for last 5-6 years.

·
Premium Member
182,448 Posts
We didn't qualify last year simple as that , only Galina Voskoboeva was available , others due to injuries and being a year younger were caught a bit short.<br />It's a pretty hard comp without your best.

Tennis is seen as a way out by lots of parents , see the world , to give their kids a better life. Sure Anna has had her influence but Yevgeny also got the ball rolling.

There are new clubs opening and not only in Moscow so the # of girls coming thru will be more and more quality.<br /> Its fierce competition in clubs , all trying to beat each other and only best succeed.

·
Premium Member
182,448 Posts
give her time , she's only just turned 15.

Svetlana Kuznetsova & Dinara Safina hadn't played one until this year.

Vera will be right up there with the others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts