Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never thought about this til now but it seems RG is the only slam where being vertically challenged is a good thing. We always talk about big babe tennis and what it takes to win a slam so short players tend to get the short end of the stick in this sport. But looking at the past history, RG seems to favor short players.

Henin 5'6 - dominated RG
Errani 5'5 - her only slam final being RG
Francesca Schiavone 5'5 - her only slam being RG
Halep's 5'6 - first and last slam is at RG
Ash Barty 5'5 - reigning champ

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,248 Posts
Clay has been a weak server's best surface for ages. Being shorter usually means less oomph on the serve. Top spin servers have wrecked havoc instead.

·
Art & Futures
21,168 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I guess it might favor them slightly since shorter players generally move better. However, it doesn't stop tall players like Sharapova and Ivanovic from being able to win there

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I've never thought about this til now but it seems RG is the only slam where being vertically challenged is a good thing. We always talk about big babe tennis and what it takes to win a slam so short players tend to get the short end of the stick in this sport. But looking at the past history, RG seems to favor short players.

Henin 5'6 - dominated RG
I like how this is considered a pc term but sounds actually worse than midget or dwarf. Vertically challenged. :lol:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts

Henin 5'6 - dominated RG
The above mentioned women are not short or vertically challenged, but are averaged size adult women.
The average size of an adult women worldwide is 5'-5.
The giants, 5'-9 to 6'-3, that dominate WTA tennis, only represent 1% of the women in the world.
How many times do you see a 6'-0 woman walking around in the everyday world? Almost never.
From 2012 thru 2017 giants like Pova, S Williams and Penko won every French Open.
Only the last two years have normal sized women won the FO.
-
On clay the ball digs into the dirt, which slows it down giving the normal sized women a slight chance to win.
At Wimbledon from 1998 thru 2018 only 2 winners have been under 5'-9. Kerber and Bartoli.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts