Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Once again Seles has dropped a match to Hingis after playing a tough three setter prior to the final. Monica took out ANNA in a tough match, but dropped the final to Hingis just as she did in Oz after playing a tough three setter against VENUS.

Monica's stamina seems to be suspect in that she does not seem to be able to take out two to three consecutive top five/ten players in a row, which is what must happen in order to win a GS title these days.

Seles does seem to be dominated by Hingis, but just seems to run out of gas after having played a previous tough match.

·
Registered
501 Posts
It does seem that Monica has a hard time beating top ten-ish players consecutively. The same is said about Martina, too.

Last summer though, didn't Monica beat Serena, Martina and Jennifer all in one tournament? If fitness is a problem, she can (and probably will) work on it!

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kart - If Monica is able to perform this task, she has failed to do it so far this year.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
well monica managed alex 7-6 7-6 then anna 6-3 3-6 6-3

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I think the answer is obvious, but since the question was posed...

Monica played a tough match against a Alex (who appears to be coming of age) 7-6(9) 7-6(9) and then went on to beat a resurgent Anna in three. Then she took Martina to three, and there were only 2 breaks of serve in the entire match (far as anyone can tell) - and they each had one in sets 2 & 3 respectively. The difference in this match boiled down to who won the tiebreak in the first set...a couple of points.

So, I'd say Monica has the *stamina* to play *3* tough matches in a row... just barely missing the trophy at the end of a squeaker.

Perhaps that was a rhetorical question, eh?

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I think Monica still has it.I dont mean to sound mean,but,I can play a match in the morning and win it 7-6 5-7 6-4,and then go back there later that night,and win another match 6-2 6-3.Im saying this from experience.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Monica's loss to Hingis seems to show lack of stamina rather than the luck of a tiebreaker. Her match against VENUS at Oz was of a very high level with precision shots and playing the way she did in that match, she would have certainly defeated Hingis.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
It's always difficult for all players to maintain a high level of game throughout a tournament.:angel:

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
that's exactly the question i have in my mind... and I'm really concerned whether she can string 2-3 consecutive wins over top 16 players (or even good non-top 16 players like Bedanova, stevenson)? she needs to do that in Grand slams and popular tournaments...
oh boy another concern I have is whether she will get burnt out playing so many intensive tournaments this few weeks... when will she win another big one... I'm tired of seeing her lose so closely to Hingis, Davenport...
Come on Monica! You can do it! :bounce:

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Hmmm, for the first couple weeks I wasn't sure Tee Rexx was still an idiot. Glad we got that cleared up.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only an idiot would not have seen that Monica could have taken out Hingis if she hadn;t tired.

DH - I never doubted your idiocy.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Idiocy is blaming this on fatigue because you still can't let your Williams/Hingis thing go.

Monica broke Martina LATE in the second set. Obviously, she was not tired.

Martina broke Monica the first time Monica served in the 3rd set, only a few minutes later. If Monica had suddenly become so tired at this juncture, how come they stayed on serve for the last 7 games?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The problem is... HINGIS.

... Hingis appears to not be troubled with the Seles game.

Hingis leads 15-4...

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
I wouldn't go that far, GrandSlammed. The last 4 have been a straight setter for Monica, a 3 setter for Monica, a 3 setter for Martina, and a 3 setter for Martina.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it is not stamina, then it is something worse .. Hingis now owns Seles.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another thread states that Monica's problem is not stamina, but loss of her mental toughness.
Then this would seem to show that she is losing her desire.
A very tough element in one's game to lose.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts