Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
26,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think so. The natural reaction is to ask "Are they in pain" or "Are they insane". I'm not sure that this is what the WTA is looking for.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Definitely does. I've watched some Halep matches in public this year and people asked to have "the screamer" turned off.

Many people I know say they don't watch WTA because of the screaming (usually referring to Sharapova and Azarenka).

Even players who don't get complained about like Garcia, Kerber, Pavlyuchenkova, Wozniacki and Radwanska etc DO actually grunt. It's just that we've become so accustomed to the even bigger screamers that we tend to ignore them.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Yes, I believe so. Although men grunt too in various ways, most of them accompany it with noticeably bigger strikes and effort. With the girls unfortunately grunting happens even with puff balls, and is more inconsistent, which overall makes general fans not take women's tennis as seriously. Which is fair enough when most of the grunting is tactical and completely affected behaviour.

Reactions: M.A.S.L.

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
Definitely.

When some of my friends (who are not tennis addicts like myself) come over when I'm watching and they hear the ridiculous shrieking that goes on, especially in the women's game, they almost invariably ask if I can turn down the volume... which I gladly do... or turn to something else (which I will not :eek:h: ).

:ras:

Reactions: ce and Matmagix

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I don't know if it makes people turn OFF but it does make people stop taking women's tennis seriously.

There's obviously a massive element of ingrained misogyny there (ie, the men who grunt don't get anywhere near the stick that the women do). But at the same time fake, convoluted shrieks ARE dumb and indefensible.

I've grown used to them, and enough players I like grunt that as a fan I just have to get used to it. But it's just a stupid, try-hard intimidation tactic, and it's impossible to take a lot of these players seriously because of it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Honestly I think if something as irrelevant as grunting stops someone from watching the WTA it's because that person wouldn't watch that much anyway. So pretty irrelevant. I personally kind of like some grunting.

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
Honestly I think if something as irrelevant as grunting stops someone from watching the WTA it's because that person wouldn't watch that much anyway. So pretty irrelevant. I personally kind of like some grunting.
So, you like hearing girls scream?

Now where did I put that number for the authorities?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nah, I doubt it. I don't think people are that shallow that they are going to be put off by scantily clad girls making a loud noise like they are having an orgasm on a tennis court, lol. Besides its nothing new. Monica Seles was doing it back in the early nineties, so its not like its some new phenomenon.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I think it's factor. When I watch tennis and my friends (or certain family) are around, and they start mocking or even simply commenting on the grunting, I get incredibly defensive, even though I agree with them. :lol:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
My brain tends to filter out grunting after a while since it's rhythmic and predictable.
I suppose if someone doesn't usually watch tennis then the initial aversion to grunting could turn them off.

It's not just the women either. Nadal has a pretty consistent grunt too.
But there might be fundamental phychoacoustic reasons that we find higher pitched grunts more annoying.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-is-the-most-annoying-sound-in-the-world-75317235/

As part of their research, published last week in the Journal of Neuroscience, they put 16 participants in an MRI machine, played them a range of 74 different sounds and asked them to rate which were most annoying. Their top ten most irritating sounds, with links to audio files for the worst five (although we can’t imagine why you’d want to listen):

1. A knife on a bottle
2. A fork on a glass
3. Chalk on a blackboard
4. A ruler on a bottle
5. Nails on a blackboard
6. A female scream
7. An anglegrinder (a power tool)
8. Squealing brakes on a bicycle
9. A baby crying
10. An electric drill

They also played the participants a number of more pleasant noises. Here were the four they rated as the least irritating:

1. Applause
2. A baby laughing
3. Thunder
4. Water flowing

Even more interesting than the rankings were the parts of the brain that lit up with activity when the research participants heard the irritating noises. The MRI scans revealed that along with the auditory cortex (which processes sounds), activity in the amygdala—the region of the brain responsible for producing emotions—increased in direct proportion to the perceived unpleasantness of the sound. The researchers found that the amygdala interacted with signals coming from the auditory cortex, increasing the amount of unpleasantness conveyed by sounds at the top of the list, which all happen to occur in the frequency range between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz.
So it could be that the higher pitched grunts of, say, Azarenka or Sharapova (higher than their speaking voices I think) just lands in a sweet spot that irritates us while lower pitched ones like Nadal's don't.
On the other hand, grunting probably helps the players to hit harder and it's not just something they do to irritate viewers and opponents.

https://whyy.org/segments/the-science-of-grunting-while-weightlifting/

So Rodolico and Sinclair came up with a simple experiment to find out. They took 30 people and had them squeeze a handgrip as hard as they could, and the handgrip would record the force. There were three different ways subjects could squeeze the handgrip. First, they just squeezed. Second, they squeezed and exhaled at the same time. Lastly, and most importantly, they squeezed and made some type of vocalization. The noise that the subjects made was up to them.

“They basically grunted,” chuckles Rodolico, “although some grunted and some scared some people down the hall with how loud they were screaming.”

The researchers had the 30 participants do this over and over. They randomized the order each time and allowed for recovery breaks. Finally, they sat down with the data to figure out which method of squeezing created the most force on average.

They found that more force was created when exhaling than just squeezing alone. But the discovery came when comparing the amount of force generated when the subjects yelled (or grunted) and squeezed simultaneously. “[What] we found was that there was actually an additional 10 percent increase in force when yelling, which was really cool for us,” says Rodolico. “So, comparatively speaking, the exhalation was more than the passive, and the screaming was more than both. And I’m speaking significantly more.

But why?

Sinclairs takes a stab at an explanation: “We’ve actually thought a lot about that, and one of our hypotheses is that yelling may activate the autonomic nervous system, which is the nervous system that controls the fight or flight response — that feeling you get when you become startled or scared, that adrenaline rush that a lot of people speak of. And that may help the muscle contractions be more complete and more forceful.”

·
Art & Futures
20,618 Posts
I think for many, grunting is a reminder to hit hard

Yes, some don't need to grunt when they play, but a lot of people are motivated by it as well... something people don't understand as much until they play

Now of course, does anyone need to grunt super loudly after each ball? Probably not.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
I don't know if it makes people turn OFF but it does make people stop taking women's tennis seriously.

There's obviously a massive element of ingrained misogyny there (ie, the men who grunt don't get anywhere near the stick that the women do)
. But at the same time fake, convoluted shrieks ARE dumb and indefensible.

I've grown used to them, and enough players I like grunt that as a fan I just have to get used to it. But it's just a stupid, try-hard intimidation tactic, and it's impossible to take a lot of these players seriously because of it.
I agree. I've rarely if ever heard commentators talk about the awful noise some of the male players make. Some of them sound as though they're in the middle of a difficult bowel movement but it's never commented on.

I'm sure it does bother some people enough to turn off but I don't mind it in general. I actually find some of it quite relaxing :lol:

·
🔴27-04-19 ⚫
13,541 Posts
There's obviously a massive element of ingrained misogyny there (ie, the men who grunt don't get anywhere near the stick that the women do). But at the same time fake, convoluted shrieks ARE dumb and indefensible.
I remember when I was watching RG, some french commentators said "Halep is really grunting, it's really not feminine" and then I cliked on mute, not because of Simona but because of that old dude (because obviously, that's an old one) misogyny.

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,266 Posts
i have a Co-worker who don´t like Tennis, but he likes the grunting ......
so there is a market for everything :eek:h:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Not this sexist bullshit again.

Players grunt get over it.

Men grunt as much as women.

Nadal was loud af the other night.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I actually enjoyed the Halep - Kerber gruntfight, and it was well suited to the occasion (a hardfought battle).

So girls grunts are a good addition and others are just annoying (Azarenka) even for some tennis fans, and others are just ridiculous and unecessary (like grunting on the slice).

·
Registered
27,027 Posts
It might.

I personally enjoy watching players who grunt (duh). I think that grunting tends to add a certain layer drama and intensity to the said match. I'd rather watch matches where one or both of the players involved grunt compared to matches where none of the players involved does so.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
I do like when during a really important point, the grunting gets like louder or more high pitched because it kind of adds to the drama. But I do think some of the grunting going on in routine rallies, particularly from Azarenka and Sharapova, is a bit unnecessary. Their grunts do not sound like a natural exertion of effort, they sound like they are attempting to imitate birds of prey. Also the fact that Sharapova doesn't grunt at all during exhibitions is just weird.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts