Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never used Ebay before last night. And I put in a bid on something at a fairly low price. Tha item only had one other bidder. Then just now I got an email telling me that I have been outbid. Naturally I put in a higher bid. But each time I entered my new bid, I got an instant message saying that I had been outbid. What? :confused: How did that happen? The other person couldn't have had enough time to see my new bid each time. I don't get it. And i don't like it! :mad: Is something fishy going on? Or is this general Ebay operation?

I don't want to go too high on the bid because I can't afford to. But I am annoued at this stage for Ebay instantly telling me I have been outbid one second after I entered my new bid.

Any opinions from experienced Ebay users would be appreciated.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,018 Posts
There is a feature that would automatically increase your bid up to some limit if you got outbid. Those guys obviously use it..

I try to avoid Ebay.. Very little protection against cheaters.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well I dont use it personally but my parents do and they have had no problems. I depends on what you are bidding for, ifs its something that would warrent constant interest like a Cult TV memerobilia, or a new video game then it might. I dont know how it works exactly, but the person who is selling it could be doing it themselves.

also make sure you are not on www.EBAY.com with capitals as that is a false web page, but I thought it had been shut down.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
The other bidder probably had a "proxy bid" - you enter the maximum amount you're willing to pay, and ebay autmatically bids for you up to that point.

Say someone's selling the world's last bar of toblerone. First bid is $1. I enter a proxy bid of $100,000. Ebay enters my current bid as $1.50. You bid $2, ebay enters my next bid as $2.50, and so on until I've either won, or someone bids more than $100,000.

·
Registered
15,719 Posts
The person put in a large amount, and they will add the person bid in the bid increments until their money runs out and you are the higher bidder. Say the person put 20 dollars and the bid increment is a dollar you would have to put 21 dollars to be the highest bidder.

do you understand or did i confuse you more.

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
What happened to you was someone placed a bid on the item you wanted based on the maximum they would pay for the item. The E-Bay system does not automatically bid that other person's highest/maximum bid. It bids just enough to outbid other bidders, i.e. you. If you place another bid that falls below the secret maximum that other bidder has bid, the system automatically outbids you after you have bid. It will keep doing this until you have outbid the other bidder's secret maximum. The secret maximum thing makes it so that you do not have to sit there and monitor the item for potentially days. Simply place the absolute maximum you are willing to pay, and that is all you have to do.

My autographs, old wigs, and other collectibles go for more than Neely's, by the way. The only exception was, once Neely autographed an empty bottle of red ones, with the inscription, "I took them with booze because they work faster that way." It went for thousands.

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,285 Posts
And I have a proxy bid in to bid 1 dollar more on everything Cat bids on! Bwah-ha-ha-ha! :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
lol, those other bidders are prolly using automatic bids and shit

but the company itself isn't rigged, it's fucking overvalued on it's share price and will prolly crash within the next few months, and the same applies to Amazon.com and Yahoo.com

but in spite of all that, Ebay is a well run company and there isn't any 'fixing' going on, at least not at operational level, probably in it's projected earnings and shit..

- Car Key Boi

·
Registered
19,296 Posts
I think the proxy thing is abused, but not by E-Bay. I think sometimes sellers create fake bidders, or get friends, to bid on an item to make a proxy bidder's bid keep going up and up when really, no one wants the item.

There was once this beautiful rust, green, and copper Yves St. Laurent 1960's pantsuit, vintage, never worn on E-Bay. I placed my maximum bid, it sat for days at the reserve. Then someone bid like mad, and my bid jumped to almost $3K. But the greedy bastard (maybe it was Neely playing a joke) accidentally outbid my maximum. I got an e-mail from the seller a few days later claiming that the other person bailed and did I want to buy it at my last bid. I declined.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your thoughts! I really appreciate it! :D I think what Griffin said about a proxy bid is what has happened to me.

dava_russianrule, I was bidding on a magazine. And I didn't think I would have a problem getting it. But someone must have out in a high bid and that's why every new bid I make I get the automatic response that I have been outbid. They are really pulling my strings and I need to avoid falling for such a ploy.

Thanks again for your thoughts! You have helped me alot.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I am now the current high bidder! And I dare Barrie_Dude to try to match my bid! ;)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I use half.com which is MUCH better. I use both, but half.com has fixed shipping costs, which translate to savings of like $5! Plus, no "bidding" and worrying about all of that. I hardly use ebay these days, but I've bought/sold over 100 items on ebay and have had very little problems. I even bought a 47" brand new tv from ebay and everything was fine there... the only probs I had was once the product (a dvd) never arrived...and Im 99% sure it was lost somewhere in the mail...I got a refund a few months later, but never a real problem.

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I dont see how Amazon.com will fall in the next few months. I love Amazon.com and so does everyone I know that uses it.

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
Ebay is a monopoly. They own half.com(which they will close pretty soon) and they own paypal(#1 online payment service). I sell on ebay because their traffic is amazing, but their fees are exoribitant. Some sellers do have a schill to hike the prices up.

And don't depend on ebay to help you out if someone cheats you. Just look in the ebay cafe and you will find many cases of buyers getting ripped off for large amounts of money. I have never been ripped off, but someone tried to cheat me out of $65 saying that the post office lost my item. After I sent him a nasty email letting him know I will come and find him, I got a refund really quick.

the cat, just a few things to know before you buy.

-Always pay using a credit card by paypal or citibank. I find that this is the easiest way to avoid possible fraud. If you don't recieve your item then you can request a chargeback.

-Always get insurance and delivery confirmation. This is in case the seller claims your item got lost. If so then you can get your money back through the post office. And delivery confirmation for you to track it. Now I know it may cost extra, but you want to save yourself from any drama. Trust me I have been through it before with a few sellers on ebay.

-Don't bid on items you see has no shipping estimation, but has a note that they will give you the total shipping after sale. Make sure you are fine with the shipping and Handling fees because you agree to except that price, handling and all.

Yes, nothing can go wrong but just in case it does you want to be prepared and don't want to be cheated. Again, ebay is all about profit. They do not care if buyers are cheated or not, because it's all about the bottom line to them.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Keith and harloo! :D I'll try to pay attention to the details so i won't get taken advantage of.

·
SMUstang,
8,482 Posts
speaking of ebay if you want any tennis matches lset me know...im dwight824 there and ive been selling some hingis, seles, williams, zvereva, testud, zvonareva, davenport, etc

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Dwight! :wavey: I'll let you know if I need any tennis tapes. I have accumulated alot myself over the years.

And my first Ebay experience was a fruitful one. I surprisingly won the item I was bdiing on! :D

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
dava_russianrule said:
Well I dont use it personally but my parents do and they have had no problems. I depends on what you are bidding for, ifs its something that would warrent constant interest like a Cult TV memerobilia, or a new video game then it might. I dont know how it works exactly, but the person who is selling it could be doing it themselves.

also make sure you are not on www.EBAY.com with capitals as that is a false web page, but I thought it had been shut down.
huh? Capitals have no importance in URL's....

so EBAY.com or ebay.com is exactly the same :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts