Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they based on chair umpires' input? Or is it an old babushka (a club player) watches a match and submits them (periodically falling asleep and missing half of them)?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
umpire dont have time to decide whether it was an UE or not
he just does scores.

they have a statisician (some level of player) doing error/winners.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
he just does scores.

Never knew that, I thought it was the umpire - Thanks!! :wavey:

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheBoiledEgg said:
he just does scores.

so I guess it is babushka if you look at some of the stats for Miami qualies

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
tenn_ace said:
so I guess it is babushka if you look at some of the stats for Miami qualies
Miami stats ( dont think they have anyone there doing proper stats for qualies or outer courts)
they are only counting aces for winners
and UE's for DF's

when the maincourt comes into play, they will have proper stats for 1 court i think.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheBoiledEgg said:
Miami stats ( dont think they have anyone there doing proper stats for qualies or outer courts)
they are only counting aces for winners
and UE's for DF's

when the maincourt comes into play, they will have proper stats for 1 court i think.

yeah, but that's what prompted my question... some of the matches have 0 winners and 0 ue's :p

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
tenn_ace said:
Are they based on chair umpires' input? Or is it an old babushka (a club player) watches a match and submits them (periodically falling asleep and missing half of them)?

:confused:

The second one. The babushka flips a coin - heads it's a winner and tails it's a UE. If the babushka doesn't show up, they pull one of the ball kids off the court and have him do it.

"Match statistics" are a fucking joke. The entire system of tennis stat-keeping needs to be overhauled.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
i didn't know that either, but it makes sense. thanks:)

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
vogus said:
The second one. The babushka flips a coin - heads it's a winner and tails it's a UE. If the babushka doesn't show up, they pull one of the ball kids off the court and have him do it.

"Match statistics" are a fucking joke. The entire system of tennis stat-keeping needs to be overhauled.
It certainly needs to be uniform. For instance, all errors are unforced errors at Roland Garros. What's up with that? :confused: :scratch: :shrug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts