Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jelena Dokic has taken a turning point in her career?

I remember one of the posters (TeeRex I think) stated during the Jelena vs Monica match that he believed it could set the tone for Jelena's season.

It was an impressive win by Jelena no doubt, over definitely one of the top 5 players on tour, and definitely top 5 in history.

So many times in the past, we've seen Jelena fall apart against top players in 3rd sets, or lost leads in sets and then let herself be walkd over. For Example: vs Davenport at Wimby 02 (Jelena lead 4-2 in the first set), or Capriati in Berlin (Jelena had a break in 3rd set), any match against Seles last year or against Lindsay at end of the year.

Jelena spent the break in Florida, where she concentrated on her serve. After the loss to Kremer last week, many posters were calling her bluff, saying she didn't seem to have done anything. Well, a week went by where Jelena remained adamant the loss was just due to rustiness.

Come Paris, a tough first match against Torrens Valero, where Jelena managed to hold serve throughout the whole entire match, something that is pretty unusual for her. The the match against Dementieva, Dementieva played a great first set, breaking Jelena twice, however, as Jelena found her rhythm she was only broken once more in the match.

Then the semi final against Seles. Against one of the best returnes in the history of the womens game, Jelena was only broken twice, and didn't let Seles break in the 1st and 3rd sets. Jelena, in the past has the tendency to let her seve break down and with a 2nd serve like hers, Seles would normally be hitting winner after winner on her serve.

However, I think it was at this point that Jelena came to a turning point in her career. 1 break in a set is never enough for Jelena to win a set, she is broken at least once in almost every set she plays. So to break Monica and then manage to hold serve throughout the entire set is an amazing feat. In the 3rd set again, Jelena would normally start cracking at 3-3, or 4-4 but she never did. There was a sense of reliability in her serve, like we expected her to hold serve and to manage to outlast Seles mentally is an amazing feat.

The first player out of Clijsters/Henin and the rest of the pack to beat Seles. This is an amazing feat. I, for one, am very excited by the way Jelena seems to be serving, the biggest weakness in her game.

Does anyone think Jelena has come to a turning point in her career? Will she finally be able to push the top 4-5 players? Her opponents did comment on her serve:

Dementieva:

"She always plays very well but today she was serving unbelievable, so she didn't give me any chances on her serve,"

Seles:

``She was much more aggressive,'' Seles said. ``I had a really difficult time breaking her.''

I for one definitely think Jelena can only move ahead of where she is.

World no 6 now Jelena, let's keep going girl.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think beating Monica might be a turning point, I realy have a feeling that all young players have a block against Monica because she was the great player when they grew up, maybe now Jelena broke that she might get a lot of confidence, sad for her that she couldn`t continue it today :sad:

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Frankly, I was a little disappointed that Jellena was not at the ranking level of Clijsters by now. She has the game and physical ability, but the family life situation may have been a distraction that seems to be deminishing this year. She has an all court game and also a major clay court title win and thus, Dokic could and will be quite a threat around Roland Garos time.

That would have been a very interesting final against VENUS in Paris, if it could have been played.

·
Team WTAworld, Mr. Try Too Hard
52,159 Posts
yup

i think it was a turning point............. whenever she has confidence she plays in a totally different level, this is definitely THE turning point.. things can only get better

GO JELENA:bounce: :bounce:

·
Banned
16,998 Posts
I am glad Jelena beat Monica,she is doing alot better I hear....I really think she could of beaten Venus.Jelena is now my 3rd favorite!Good luck in the future!

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
yes a very great effort by her, i didn't see her matches at all , but i've ssen her play, and got broken so many times, especially having the fact that she has a weak second serve. major improvement! hopefully kim and justine could copy jelena on how to beat a legend. It's not impossible, only the mentality to beat a player whom once were your idol was so hard to do

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Jelena has mad skillz and will only rise in rank imho:) Also I am not surprised at her results because one thing Jelena has always had and that is CONFIDENCE and MENATL ABILITY. Watch out for Jelly.. I dont think your ready for this jelly I don't think your ready for this jelly.. lol:)

·
Banned
692 Posts
It was an impressive win by Jelena no doubt, over definitely one of the top 5 players on tour, and definitely top 5 in history.
Umm.. No i dont think so. She may be a good tennis player but where r the results. Oh yeah shes right up with the likes of graf, Evert, Naritolva, Seles, Hingis. Maybe not now but i dont think she will ever will be she doesnt have the results.!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Linton: Maybe you should take reading classes as well as writing ones.

I said that Monica is one of the top 5 players on the tour, and probably in history.

I'm sure everyone else had no problem reading what I said.

If they did, I sincerely apologise.

·
Banned
3,727 Posts
I think Jelena is a great player and has the game to suit all types of courts .... showing by her great grass (wimbledon) Clay (Open Gaz) Rebound Ace (Hopman Cup) & Hardcourt (US Open)

She has been able to beat Clijsters and with a higher ranking the draws will open up for her not having to play higher seeded players at the slams!! Good luck Jelena for 2002!

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
ILUVJELENA said:
Linton: Maybe you should take reading classes as well as writing ones.

I said that Monica is one of the top 5 players on the tour, and probably in history.

I'm sure everyone else had no problem reading what I said.

If they did, I sincerely apologise.

that was totally uncalled for
linton just didnt understand and you could have corrected him nicely

anyway i hope jelena does well at wimbledon this year
she just cant seem to beat lindsay i dont know why...

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I thought ILUVJELENA's response to Linton was perfectly justified. Good analysis too - Seles is a player that lots of up'n'comers have trouble beating purely because they grew up with her as their heroine - you really need a strong mentality to overcome all the thoughts of 'oh my god, I'm playing Monica' which seem to afflict Kim, Justine and Elena D.

[email protected] I don't know if Jelena would like being called Jelly, but it'd be a great title for a cheering thread... I don't think you're ready for this Jelly...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts