Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
3,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even if she loses tomorrow, its really promising for the French Open! She's striking the ball so well and with more finesse and subtlety than ever. :)

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Shes been real solid off the ground. The serve and return just goes off sometimes when she loses confidence. not today though

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have been following Venus's career since 1998.

Here are some of the improvements I have seen in the last month.

Venus Forehand - has a lot more topspin than years past but still can flatten the shot out when she needs too.

- Venus has started using better angles on the court.
- Venus has a kick serve now....(for the second serve.)
- Venus's confidence is definitely back (which is great to see)

I'm going to make a prediction and say that Venus will be #1 in the world again this year. Even Richard Williams said that.....and we know that Richard know his sh*t.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
Hamburg 1999
Hamburg 2001
Italian Open 1999
Clay court season 2004 except FO

she has played great on clay before...
but this is
Venus with a cool topspin with her...
hope she does well...

·
Banned
1,050 Posts
Once Venus past the 3rd round of any tournament and she's healthy yu can almost bet that she will win that tournament. That clay tournament she played in Mexico her first couple of matches were horrible and as the tournament went on she got better and in the final she was almost perfect. Venus needs a lot of matches under her belt to do well in tournaments the only problem is that she cannot play week in and week out because her body cannot take the wear and tear, she needs a week or two in between matches and that's a disadvantage for her.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I have been following Venus's career since 1998.

Here are some of the improvements I have seen in the last month.

Venus Forehand - has a lot more topspin than years past but still can flatten the shot out when she needs too.

- Venus has started using better angles on the court.
- Venus has a kick serve now....(for the second serve.)
- Venus's confidence is definitely back (which is great to see)

I'm going to make a prediction and say that Venus will be #1 in the world again this year. Even Richard Williams said that.....and we know that Richard know his sh*t.
I agree. Barring injury, Venus WILL be number 1 this year, even for a short period of time. Venus has no points to defend this summer except for 180 points from the Olympics. All of the other top players will be defending their 2008 points
The top players have the following 2008 points to defend this summer (post Wimbledon to including the US Open)

Safina has 2,800
Serena has 2,430
Jankovic has 2,050
Dementieva has 1,608
Petrova has 1,102
Radwanska has 980
Azarenka has 808
Venus has 680
Kuznetsova has 404
Zvonareva has 546
Ivanovic has 240

Since Venus is ranked 3rd as of today and playing respectably well on clay, she has a great shot of adding more points for the rest of the clay court season.
Between today and Wimbeldon Serena has 1,620 points to defend, Safina has 1,780 and Venus has 2,100.

·
Registered
8,831 Posts
Thats what I thought before the AO.... Im not getting my hopes up until the French open is over......

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
I agree. Wait and see how the French Open and Wimbledon turn out. If she makes it past the QF at the French and wins Wimbledon again I think its safe to say that shes back at a high level for good.

I think the difference has been that I don't think shes withdrawn from a tournament since the summer. Kerrie Brooks must have put a new regimin together.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Hell, I thought she was in amazing form heading into the OZ Open :tape:
From now on, I'm just gonna think she's in "hot mess" form for every match so that I don't get a shock. After all these years, I'm quite used to it by now. :lol:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
In her match today against Radwanska, Venus looked like the player she was in the SF and F of Acapulco when she finally got her act together. We know she has the game, but what is more noteworthy is how well she moved in the QF match. Right now Venus is 8-0 on Red clay. I'll take it. :bounce:
Stay healthy and keep it going. The more success Venus has on the red clay, the more Mary Joe Fernandez loves her chances in the Fed Cup final.

·
Registered
12,969 Posts
her major prob is being consistent i mean we all saw how well she played yesterday but do we really know what Venus is going to show up on court today ? :eek: that's her biggest prob :sobbing:

hopefully she will build a momentum on this and will win the whole thing playing as great (if not better) as she did yesterday

1 - 20 of 29 Posts