Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, probably most poster have never heard of him, only the old one as myself :eek:

Anyways, the other day they showed part of one of his matches, and showed the way he celebrated every point.

And I thought to myself, hmmm, I have a double standard here, I hate Lleyton Hewitt for the way he celebrates every point, and I always liked Jimmy Connors who was 1000000 worse.

But I think the real difference was class, Jimmy Connors had class, he was a real showman, the crowds really loved him, although what he did during matches some times would be considered unacceptable today and I guess very annoying for the opponent.

But he was really fun, he really did that well and knew how to entertain the crowd

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
not everyone loved him.

if you liked Mc then you disliked Jimmy

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
Nicely put TBE ;) . I was thinking the same thing :) .

But, Fingon, I do not consider myself as "old" :eek: .

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
I liked both, Eggy!;)
Anyways...Lleyton does remind me of Jimmy!:D

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheBoiledEgg said:
not everyone loved him.

if you liked Mc then you disliked Jimmy
Actually Eggy, I liked both players very much.

John McEnroe and Stephan Edberg are my all time favourites in the male's tour but I liked Jimmy Connors a lot.

Also, I never believed in taking sides, I just liked a player for what a player was, but I would never like or dislike anyone because he was opposed to something. I am different to you, I wouldn't like a player because of a nationality for example and certainly, I wouldn't like all the players with that nationality. :cool:

I don't think also that was the general attitude in the US where both players where big crowd favourites.

·
5,566 Posts
Interesting what you are saying about Connors and Mc Enroe perception in North America, Fingon.

I remember that in France (at least at school, in my tennis club and in tennis magazines), there were the "pro Connors" and the "pro Mc Enroe".

I seem to remember there was a little bit of a tension between the two players and this was being reflected in the fans attitudes.

But as I said, things may have been different in North America and in USA in particular :) .

·
1,793 Posts
Connors and McEnroe were not the best of friends, but Connors didn't like many on the tour. I remember an indoor encounter between him and Ivan Iendl. Connors was pretty fed up (either with Ivan or his own form) and he told Ivan (who was sitting down waiting for the tournament director) to get up and play and to stop acting like a **** Lendl looked shocked, but didn't move an inch. I thought Jimmy would explode.

I'll admit though, I did like "Jimbo" :) Even with all his antics.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn't like Jimmy Connors or John McEnroe. I disliked John McEnroe more than Connors. I always believed that Mac used his tanturms to disrupt the momentum of the match when he was behind. From the 70s-80s era, I liked the Swedes and Arthur Ashe, who were the tempermental opposites. And of course if Borg was my favorite, I certainly couldn't like Connors. The only time I remember really wanting Connors to win a match was at Wimbledon in 1982, and only because he was playing McEnroe in the finals. That was an epic match Connors won. McEnroe made up for it by humiliating Connors in the finals two years later, but what goes around comes around because Connors wasn't too gracious in his heyday when he was wiping the veteran Ken Rosewall off the court.

I've grown to like McEnroe as a commentator but he did take some getting used to. And as a positive, Jimmy Connors was certainly the workhouse, he didn't leave anything on the court. When rooting against him, you had to wait til the last point to make sure he lost.

In the time since Mac and Connors, I didn't have a DISlike for any player until Lleyton Hewitt came along. Thus far, I see nothing redeeming about him.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I will never forget his performance at the us open 91 when he became 40, that was amazing:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts