Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If female athletes have regular "periods" or do they go for long times in between "periods"?? I thought I read somewhere that tennis players, gymnasts, track and field stars, basketball players go for irregular long lapses where they don't experience a "period"? Anybody hear about this occurrance??:eek:
barmaid:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Well, I've heard from experts that the less body fat you have, the less frequent you'll have a regular period. So, it's probably accurate to suggest that many of these athletes are irregular.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
:eek: :rolleyes:

·
25,384 Posts
It's true. While every woman is different, female tennis players often go for long periods without their....periods.

A brief explanation

http://www.tandl.vt.edu/rstratto/CYSarchive/ParentsNov99.html

I got flamed recently for suggesting that a certain woman had perhaps had mentrual problems, but certainly it influences match results from time to time. Chris Evert said it sometimes influenced her schedule. In the past, some sportswriters who normally didn't cover early round women's matches would be sure to be around if they thought a top woman might have an "off day".

It's still a taboo subject. Tennis magazine ran an article on it years ago, but I haven't seen one on the subject since in a tennis magazine.

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
Quite a few take the pill as to avoid that problem from arising.

not that i would know anything about that :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been wondering about that...

Cuz.. I do have problems with it! Well.. each person has different menstrual reactions, so I can't judge based on that.

Well.. I guess now we now what some of those injuries might be all about.. hehehe ;) j/k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts