Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
HAND SCRAPED
6,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anna is great at cleaning up at events tier 3 and below, she's won a lot of titles in the past 2 years doing just that.

She also got a few good wins in 2002 against top ten players, in tier 1 and 2 events, but the only good result in terms of how far she got was a semi in berlin 2002.

Does she choose tournaments cleverly in that that she knows she will get good match practice in, against a field that she knows she can beat, good ranking points, and an OK pay day at the end, or possibly is this the place she's only ever going to get some finals and titles?

...... or is she silly wasting her talent and having no ambition by playing lots of low tier events? Could she make a bigger impact on high tier events if she played fewer low tier events and more higher tiered events? do the 5 matches a week of a tier 4 wear her out too much for her 2 or 3 matches at a tier 1?

what do u think of anna's scheduling and results?

·
Banned
327 Posts
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
Anna is great at cleaning up at events tier 3 and below, she's won a lot of titles in the past 2 years doing just that.

She also got a few good wins in 2002 against top ten players, in tier 1 and 2 events, but the only good result in terms of how far she got was a semi in berlin 2002.

Does she choose tournaments cleverly in that that she knows she will get good match practice in, against a field that she knows she can beat, good ranking points, and an OK pay day at the end, or possibly is this the place she's only ever going to get some finals and titles?

...... or is she silly wasting her talent and having no ambition by playing lots of low tier events? Could she make a bigger impact on high tier events if she played fewer low tier events and more higher tiered events? do the 5 matches a week of a tier 4 wear her out too much for her 2 or 3 matches at a tier 1?

what do u think of anna's scheduling and results?
Whatever makes her happy. It sure is nice to win and she is 8-0 in finals so she should keep on doing it!

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
She is very simliar to Nagyova in that regard.

She doesn't perform very well in higher tiered events, maybe because she can't beat the people. She did beat Clijsters in Berlin in 2002, and her only other quality high tiered result was a QF at Indian Wells, though she lost to Emanuelle Gagliardi in probably the biggest match of her career. She might have even taken out Daniela if she had kept up the level of play - which would have changed a lot of things.

But aside from that, you see your typical lower ranked player results at high tiered events.

I think that she plays where she knows she can win. I don't really think she has a reason to play the high tiered events on grass or carpet (and I have no idea why she decided to play eastbourne this year or last). On clay she might be more inclined to play the higher tiered events because that is her surface - and she does play Charleston, Warsaw, Berlin, and Rome. She might choose next year to play Amelia Island (and Sarasota is definitely not working for her). But she does play most of the big events regardless: Tokyo, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome. She was scheduled to play Toronto as well but she withdrew considering she won Sopot and Helsinki back to back and didn't have time to transfer to clay.

I think she's very smart in sticking to her strengths. She plays all the big events, and finds her niche in the smaller clay events. What bothers me more is when she gets too cocky and deicdes to play things like Zurich when she might be better off at a lower tiered event on her least favorite surface, like at Bratislava.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
yeah she plays too many low tier events. she really is too good for them but she doesn't much chance of going very deep in the top tiers so it is a smart move on her part.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Mikey said:
She is very simliar to Nagyova in that regard.

She doesn't perform very well in higher tiered events, maybe because she can't beat the people. She did beat Clijsters in Berlin in 2002, and her only other quality high tiered result was a QF at Indian Wells, though she lost to Emanuelle Gagliardi in probably the biggest match of her career. She might have even taken out Daniela if she had kept up the level of play - which would have changed a lot of things.

But aside from that, you see your typical lower ranked player results at high tiered events.

I think that she plays where she knows she can win. I don't really think she has a reason to play the high tiered events on grass or carpet (and I have no idea why she decided to play eastbourne this year or last). On clay she might be more inclined to play the higher tiered events because that is her surface - and she does play Charleston, Warsaw, Berlin, and Rome. She might choose next year to play Amelia Island (and Sarasota is definitely not working for her). But she does play most of the big events regardless: Tokyo, Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Berlin, Rome. She was scheduled to play Toronto as well but she withdrew considering she won Sopot and Helsinki back to back and didn't have time to transfer to clay.

I think she's very smart in sticking to her strengths. She plays all the big events, and finds her niche in the smaller clay events. What bothers me more is when she gets too cocky and deicdes to play things like Zurich when she might be better off at a lower tiered event on her least favorite surface, like at Bratislava.
Sadly Nagyova can no longer even last any events without getting injured. Grrr... :fiery:

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! ;)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Yes, she should try to play higher events...she wouldn't get as many titles but she would give herself better preparation for a Slams...

Sugiyama would have been an excellent Tier 4 and 5 competitor, still she competes most of the time in bigger events and she is a better player...

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
brunof said:
Sadly Nagyova can no longer even last any events without getting injured. Grrr... :fiery:
Poor Henrieta :sad:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
When she first started out, Conchita Martinez played smaller events to gain her confidence before facing the top players at the bigger tournaments. She won something like 12 of these smaller events before deciding to compete for the more prestigious titles.

It's a good ploy but takes a lot of effort, since the player is basically conducting two abbreviated full schedules... hence why lazy Conchita eventually left them behind to focus on one complete schedule instead. ;) But also hence, Conchita became a better player as a result of the confidence she gained from playing the smaller tournaments. :)

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I don't really understand why you guys are saying that she doesn't play enough higher tiered events.

She's played all the Grand Slams this year and she's played all of the tier Is thus far, and she had planned to play Toronto, but she withdrew (understandably).

Can you blame her for wanting to capitalize on her favorite surface?

Let's look at her schedule from this year:
Auckland (IV) instead of Gold Coast (to defend her title)
Canberra instead of Sydney (again, title defense, though she withdrew because of her injury at Auckland)
Australian Open (GS)
Tokyo Pan Pacific (I)
Paris Indoors (II)
Indian Wells (I)
Miami (I)
Sarasota (IV) (which actually was the highest tiered event of the week)
Charleston (I)
Warsaw (II)
Berlin (I)
Rome (I)
Roland Garros (GS)
Vienna (III) (which was also the highest event of the week)
Eastbourne (II)
Wimbledon (GS)
Sopot (III) instead of San Diego
Helsinki (IV) instead of Los Angeles

Which amounts to:

3 Grand Slams
6 Tier I events
3 Tier II events
2 Tier III events
3 Tier IV events
(and 1 Tier V event had she played Canberra).

Even excluding the Grand Slams, where everyone plays regardless, she actually does play more higher tiered events than lower tiered events. That 9 Tier I-II events and only 5 tier III-V events that she's played this year. She may have a better win percentage in the III-V events, but it's not like she's only playing there.

Reactions: Messenger

·
HAND SCRAPED
6,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmm thats interesting - thanks for getting that mikey cos i really was too run down to do that myself last night :)

maybe its a case of playing too much then instead of playing too many low tiers...

its a tough call for her and players like her i guess... she gets a good solid base of points from doing well at the low tier events, but she still kinda has to play the high tiered ones in case of getting a big win and lots of points.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Also you need to realise that not too long ago Anna wasn't winning these events. At the start of 2002 she was barely in the top 100. 6 of her 8 titles have come in the last 18 or so months - it is only a recent thing that people have started thinking of her as "too good" for these events.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.