Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

WTA also tweeted about it officially

More details in this Daily Mail article

• Netflix are recording a new fly-on-the-wall docuseries of the 2022 tennis tour
  • The show will be similar to the streaming giants' 'Drive to Survive' show for F1
  • It means Novak Djokovic's Australian Open scandal will be part of the docuseries
  • A crew is already in Australia filming the explosive start to the tennis calendar

The drama around the Novak Djokovic affair is set to be captured in a docuseries that will be a tennis version of Drive To Survive.

Sportsmail understands that a crew is already in Australia filming what has been the most explosive start to a tennis season in recent years, thanks to the fiasco surrounding the world No 1.

The sport's usually disjointed governing stakeholders have united to support and approve the new project, that will eventually air on Netflix.

The series will be made by London-based Box To Box Films, and the Executive Producer is James Gay Rees, who has been behind the phenomenally successful F1 vehicle.

Every global sport has looked enviously at how DTS has driven interest in the motor racing world, and tennis has always looked like a natural and quite similar fit. That has been enough to gain the backing of the men's and women's tours, and the four Grand Slams, who rarely act in unison. The broader deal was sealed before Christmas and Wimbledon is among those that are on board.

According to correspondence seen by Sportsmail, the crew will follow the tennis circuit through the season and be granted access to areas such as the locker rooms and treatment areas where consent is given, and to player lounges.

It is the behind the scenes insight that has helped bring F1 to life and attract new fans.

Box to Box describe themselves as 'Globally recognised, making compelling and narrative-driven sports content with unprecedented access and never seen before footage.' They have also made films about Steven Gerrard, Cristiano Ronaldo and the World Surfing Tour.

Although the events currently playing out in Australia should provide excellent material, tennis may not prove such an easy environment in which to operate for the producers.

While F1 is owned by one body, US conglomerate Liberty Media, tennis has separate men's and women's tours plus four Majors which are independent entities. Agents of the top players wield considerable influence over tournaments, and jealously guard how their clients are presented. Access may vary at different locations. Tennis players tend to be less conditioned to marketing responsibilities than F1 drivers, but the more far-sighted are likely to buy in to the project

Before Christmas Andy Murray did an interview in which he was asked about whether his sport would lend itself to a docuseries, and outlined the potential upsides and pitfalls.

'A lot of people have spoken about Drive to Survive. I've watched a few episodes myself, I enjoyed it and something like that would be really good for tennis,' he told Eurosport. 'I think that there is huge benefit to the sport (but) I don't think tennis is open enough to allow access like that. It's a difficult one because it's brilliant. 'A lot of players would (support it) but you also need to trust the people that are filming as well. Providing it's done well and that there's a level of respect and trust there between the athletes and the people that are filming, I think it can be unbelievably positive.'

·
*Sesil*
22,424 Posts
Has drive to survive got drama? Or is it very fly on the wall. I’ve never seen it

But if Netflix have cameras rolling for this saga, that would be epic.

Years ago I always felt the WTA could do with a behind the scenes show, but in their catty era :oh:

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has drive to survive got drama? Or is it very fly on the wall. I’ve never seen it

Years ago I always felt the WTA could do with a behind the scenes show, but in their catty era :oh:
I haven't seen Drive To Survive yet but from what I heard, it has pretty good drama (lot of behind the scenes action) and one of the best sports related documentaries..it did help in gaining lot of new fans. I am really curios to see how they do it for tennis tbh...like whether they are going to focus on any particular set of players or only some top players. Good thing that one of the executive producer is the same person who was behind Drive to Survive

·
Registered
132 Posts

Yes it has drama.

I'm not sure how it would work for tennis but I trust those guys to make it entertaining and insightful.

·
Registered
33,319 Posts
The PGA has it too and they're following 20 or so golfers.

I wonder which WTA players will be featured during the season. Sabalenka, Collins, Putintseva, Ostapenko and Pavlyuchenkova should be the main characters. Mladenovic can be the villain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been fan of F1 for more than 20 years and Drive to Survive was very welcomed by everyone and attracted new fans. The idea is to renew the fanbase with younger spectators (and women).

It has a lot of drama indeed. The first season was really good because it did not only sum up the season but we had exclusive footages. We could see what is going on behind the scenes, especially with smaller teams.
Nonetheless, from the second season it was received more criticism because Netflix started to create fake drama and tried to build up stories only to please a young audience. F1 fans like me has started to cringe a little bit because we are not fooled, but even Verstappen complained and said he'd stop participating.

So it is very entertaining but like every Netflix series, they want to sell the series and will not hesitate to change the reality to fit the storyline. No doubt Osaka will be the star here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The problem will be getting the top players to participate, because they can't control the content there may be little benefit for them to be in it, so it may focus more on the lower ranked players who need extra sponsors.

·
*Sesil*
22,424 Posts
The problem will be getting the top players to participate, because they can't control the content there may be little benefit for them to be in it, so it may focus more on the lower ranked players who need extra sponsors.
Which could be great for drama. They will be less filtered.

·
Registered
12,297 Posts
Drive to Survive was a amusing serie

But oure Max V did not like the docu because they give him a false image.

So he didn't cooperate on the second season.

I dont think that a WTA docu behind the scenes would got much hype, probably ATP much more.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can anyone help me understand why on earth is this thread moved to Non-Tennis? WTF?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From Netflix site, more about the documentary series -

From Box to Box Films, Producers of Formula 1: Drive to Survive

For the first time, fans will be able to share in a year in the life of some of the world’s best tennis players as they journey around the world, seeking to win on the sport’s biggest stages.

To bring this unique immersive documentary series to the screen, Netflix has teamed up with the four Grand Slam tournaments, the ATP Tour, WTA Tour, and ATP Media beginning with the 2022 season at the Australian Open.

The series will offer an unfiltered look at life inside the competitive sport of professional tennis through the perspective of the players and their teams, in the same spirit as Formula 1: Drive to Survive and the recently announced project featuring golf’s PGA Tour.

Through a historic collaboration that will take cameras behind the scenes of the two tours, the Australian Open, Roland-Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open, the series will also be the first sports program of its kind to provide an equal platform to the men’s and women’s competitors of the sport, in keeping with the equal stage they share throughout the year.

"We are excited to continue bolstering our lineup of sports programming with this behind-the-scenes documentary series," said Brandon Riegg, Netflix Vice President of Unscripted and Documentary Series. "Tennis is beloved all over the world, with high-stakes tournaments hopping across continents and athletes hailing from countless countries. Through this historic partnership with the four Grand Slam tournaments, the ATP Tour, WTA Tour, and ATP Media, the series will be packed with rare access and rich personal stories that are sure to draw in longtime fans and new audiences alike."

The series is produced by Box to Box Films (Formula 1: Drive to Survive) with James Gay Rees and Paul Martin as serving as Executive Producers. Filming is underway now at the Australian Open.

About Box to Box Films

Box to Box Films is an award winning production company based in London. At Box To Box Films the storytelling is thoughtful, insightful and challenges the norms of the traditional documentary format. Box To Box Films is helmed by Academy Award®-winning producer James Gay-Rees and BAFTA-nominated producer Paul Martin. Together they are responsible for Box To Box’s ever-growing list of stellar productions: from the Netflix international hit series, FORMULA 1: DRIVE TO SURVIVE, to four-part series THE KINGS for Showtime, MAKE OR BREAK for Apple TV as well as THE THREE KINGS and MAKE US DREAM for Amazon Prime.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts