Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hmmm, just read this today and i'm not really surprised...and maybe why I'm even terrified of hospitals and everything associated with them--death, disease, etc...

Doctors Are the Third Leading Cause of Death in the U.S.

Cause 250,000 Deaths Every Year

By Joseph Mercola, D.O.

The U.S. health care system may contribute to poor health or death. According to Dr. Barbara Starfield of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, 250,000 deaths per year are caused by medical errors, making this the third-largest cause of death in the U.S., following heart disease and cancer.

...for the full article see

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/public_health/doctors_cause_death.htm

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
eh who gives a shit theres too many people in this country anyway

asides you look at the table n it says 106,000 death from non-error, negative side effects of drugs. can't blame everything on doctors... they have a lot of stress on them, [esp w/ all the lawsuits n high insurance... they must be stressed] they're bound to fuck up somewhere.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Remember that statistics can be skewed and often times don't tell the real story. For every horror story you read in the media about a physician's or hospital's mistake, there are hundreds of patients who receive proper treatment. Considering how bogged down the health care system is, that is a story that the media should focus on.

Honestly, doctors don't receive their just due. My father is a doctor and the amount of bullshit he has to put up with every day boggles my mind.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
apoet29 said:
Remember that statistics can be skewed and often times don't tell the real story.
yes true...my work deals with analyzing data and creating statistical models...

i believe the main point that can be taken from this is the overuse/reliance on drugs...and talk about statistics--one always has to wonders the research designs/who pay for them/who is connected/ when new drugs are introduced or held from the market...just like love, sometimes research findings can be in the eye of the beholder

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
they seem to forget that those people who are treated by docters already have some serious disease, wound or whatever. Without help they would probably die because of the disease or their injuries.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Yes but did you look at where the source is from? Natural health remedy site? I'd think they'd be trying to undermine the credibility of doctors (traditional medicine). Having said that, they may have a good point anyway. I've been told by some doctors that all medicines are hocus-pocus anyway. The best option is prevention (eat right and exercise); unless of course you're shot or stabbed or something.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I read in the newspapaer today, that 109 people died last year in Norway from mistakes at hospitals. How many people who was saved by the hospitals not making mistakes is another statistik :p

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,001 Posts
Doctors are evil..

The sicker we are, the richer they are..

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sam L--the *source* is the study done that was published in the leading peer reviewed journal JAMA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts