Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Yes, mine got me into lessons when I was like 9 or 10 and also got me interested in pro tennis (WTA specifically) when they took me to the Charleston tier I back in 2005. I remember even gathering around the TV with my grandparents in the mid to late 90s and watching the slams. As I started getting more of an interest in all levels and following ITFs and such, my father did the same and even watches and follows some of the US ITF streams himself. Not to mention the countless junior tournaments they shuttled me to and from and coming to four years of my college matches.

To say we are a tennis family would be an understatement. 馃槅

Registered
I watched a match this year of Serena vs Azarenka. My mom was into it for sure. She was laughing at Vika's grunt and loving Serena's power and just all-around badass-ery. We watched a few matches and she definitely likes Ostapenko more than any other player. She knows I love Maria and I showed her Serena vs Maria at the 2015 AO and she liked how the ball sounded and said Maria sounded like a death metal singer.

Registered
No, they are not interested in tennis. Only my dad a little bit. He likes sports in general.
But they appreciate (rarely) some good entertaining smart tennis like when Laura Siegemund won Stuttgart with wonderful tennis and the impressive tennis in Fed Cup doubles in the tie Romania vs France in April (Halep/Niculescu vs Garcia/Mladenovic) :love:
But tennis is gone from German TV, so they can麓t watch it anymore, not even rarely.
(And they only watched tennis when I turned on tennis on the TV and forced them to watch. lol)

Registered
My dad enjoys sports bit prefers football, water polo and handball.
My mum enjoyed athletics when she was younger but doesn't really watch anything much. When I was training to play she would watch but I think she was just watching so I wouldn't throw my racquet.

Anyway, when she moved she wanted lessons so she could make friends and it was the most difficult thing I have ever done. I ended up quitting before her.

If it's on tv playing in the background she will watch parts and discuss which players she likes. Dad is able to figure out point construction as it is happening so I prefer to watch it with him

Registered
Yes. Both my parents played which is how I started playing, and my dad was a casual follower so once I started playing he put the 2005 US Open on and there was no going back from there for me. After that, my dad is still a pretty casual follower but likes to talk to me about things, whereas my mom did not follow at all before and is now super into it because of me.

Registered
my father doesn't really care about tennis but my then mom-at-home Mum used to watch Roland-Garros a little bit on French TV when it was on - and it's thanks to her I have my first memories of getting interesting in tennis ...

Registered
I watched a match this year of Serena vs Azarenka. My mom was into it for sure. She was laughing at Vika's grunt and loving Serena's power and just all-around badass-ery. We watched a few matches and she definitely likes Ostapenko more than any other player. She knows I love Maria and I showed her Serena vs Maria at the 2015 AO and she liked how the ball sounded and said Maria sounded like a death metal singer.
I'm glad your Mother has an excellent tas

Registered
No.

But they agreed to get me lessons when I asked, which was huge for me getting into the sport.

Sidenote: I haven't logged in for months and this place is DEAD! RIP.

Registered
They're aware of the famous players (well, the older ones like Graf, Navratilova etc. mostly) and do occasionally watch Slams

Registered
No, they don't. My mum sometimes would watch a match involving Agnieszka Radwa艅ska. My late grandpa (passed away in 2000) though liked watching tennis, and I remember watching some matches with him as a kid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts