Tennis Forum banner

Do You Want To See BARTY As The WTA #1 ???

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
she is 2 matches away from claiming WTA #1, with the players in her path STRYCOVA, MARTIC, GEORGES :eek:h:

if she is victorious this Sunday, she will be the 27th WTA #1 :surprise: :surprise:

she would have 3 big titles to back up her claim (Roland Garros, Zhuhai, Miami), as well as consistent results in other tournaments

on the other hand, she does not seem to be extremely marketable (please correct me if I am wrong :shrug: ) and does not seem fond of attention, the cameras etc. I wonder if she would be the one helping to propel the growth of the WTA at a time when it is in dire straits :crying:

·
Premium Member
19,642 Posts
Absolutely we would love to have this queen advocating for tennis :bounce:

What a great story for tennis, a player that lost the interest in the game and played a different sport comes back to snag couple more $$$'s just to actually end up on the top of the rankings!!! :inlove:

Amaze balls x

·
Registered
550 Posts
Probably not, but that's not because of any problem with Barty. I just think it says a lot about the complete lack of rally tolerance and ability to deal with slices that the game's other top players currently have. Barty has an excellent serve and a formidable forehand but such a predictable backhand with no ability to pressure offensively really shouldn't belong at the top of the game in my opinion.

It's admirable how good she is at beating the players she should beat, but she really shouldn't be the only person on tour with that strength.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Of course and I hope she will be consistent enough to be in top5 for many years. She has the game for it and hopefully she will be mentally tough enough to bear it and no injuries will happen.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Was the Ester Ledecka story that womens super-G is low quality, even athlete from another sport can win? No, it was about the great athlete who could succeed in two different sports.

Discounting nationality, I don't really understand why Barty would be less interesting than any of the examples. Including nationality, you could even say that an Australian accent is a benefit with journalists, she does not need to be so "open" when she can be "laid back" instead :p (I mean this in the sense of popular perception, not reality)

·
Registered
928 Posts
I honestly couldn't care less :shrug: The WTA is dead anyway, so why not. Like someone previously mentioned, anyone can be #1 if they win two big titles since it only takes about 6000 points to be #1 compared to the ATP where the current #1 has nearly 13000 points.

It would be kind of hilarious considering her peak is so weak compared to the rest of the top 10. Also, I don't think many people have even heard of her outside of Australia and hard core tennis fans as she was kinda irrelevant until a few months ago :tape: I mean, even I have only seen 5-6 matches that she's played and I've been a tennis fan since I was 7 (so 16ish years now) :lol:

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would be kind of hilarious considering her peak is so weak compared to the rest of the top 10. Also, I don't think many people have even heard of her outside of Australia and hard core tennis fans as she was kinda irrelevant until a few months ago :tape: I mean, even I have only seen 5-6 matches that she's played and I've been a tennis fan since I was 7 (so 16ish years now) :lol:
exactly :sobbing:

she got shut down by MLADENOVIC out of all people 62 63 right before her Grand Slam win :hysteric: that would never happen to past #1s :help:

I can't watch her matches as I fall asleep after a few points :happy:

Reactions: Peverell
1 - 20 of 163 Posts