Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, atleast the abbrieviated tour. No one seem to beat them currently and not only that but they are dominating in every surface. To be honest, this makes the WTA really boring. The same two players winning over and over and over .... And, there is their personalities too, which makes it too hard to market them.

So, what should the WTA do to make the predictability of the whole tour disappear? May be they should restrict the number of tournaments a top ranked player plays in a tournament so that lower ranked players get opportunity to win some of the big tournaments.

:yawn:

Men's tennis is so much much better than women's these days. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Do you think the all Williams domination is good for the tour?

·
Registered
504 Posts
gogomaggie said:
Do you think the all Williams domination is good for the tour?
yep, they are the biggest names and are very interesting on and off the court. their tennis is brill and their personalities. i like henin but i wouldnt pay money to watch clijsters play. she's hardly inspiring.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Jen'sFan said:
yep, they are the biggest names and are very interesting on and off the court. their tennis is brill and their personalities. i like henin but i wouldnt pay money to watch clijsters play. she's hardly inspiring.
It´s your opinion. But everybody has another taste.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
Forgive me for being a retard but I fail to see how the Belgian duo are hard to market. One of them is constantly being praised for her her amazing power game and fighting spirit despite her small stature, and the other is known as one of the friendliest players on the tour who is also in a high-profile relationship with another top tennis player. Belgium may be a small country but these two players are certainly not obscure characters.

As for the predictability, what I think the WTA should do is get hold of some of that exploding water from the film Live Wire - starring Pierce Brosnan - and spike the players' drinks so that in every tournament, a couple of them are liable to explode messily at any moment.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i don't know aboout the belgian domination but someone like justine and her game really helps tennis around the world people will start believing that smaller people can be competitive but not only that they are seeing that smaller players can generate a lot of power and can be successful at net (even with there lack of reach) and still keep their good hands, speed and footwork.

a belgian domination is a fressh face for the tour after being dominated by americans for a bit (williams, capriati, davenport in recent years). i guess another good thing that could come from this is that the 2 belgians will be more hungry to compete and beat the williams sisters once they come back so they can remain as the dominate players on tour and it should make for some great matches in the future.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
They ain´t dominating at all. we all know that the only reason they dominated after Wimby, is because there was no Serena and no Venus. That´s all. I know it, you know it, they know it and the whole world knows it!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Hardly marketable, where? In US? With all honestly, I don't give a damn. I

'd rather witness a Belgian domination because their tennis is much better, IMO. I prefer tennis with variety. Not just hammering and pounding the ball. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
eta psi said:
Well, atleast the abbrieviated tour. No one seem to beat them currently and not only that but they are dominating in every surface. To be honest, this makes the WTA really boring. The same two players winning over and over and over .... And, there is their personalities too, which makes it too hard to market them.

So, what should the WTA do to make the predictability of the whole tour disappear? May be they should restrict the number of tournaments a top ranked player plays in a tournament so that lower ranked players get opportunity to win some of the big tournaments.

:yawn:

Men's tennis is so much much better than women's these days. :rolleyes:

oh well now we are "treated" to a boring pathetic repeat of the french open final. GO KIM WIN THIS ONE AT LEAST Get A GAME IN THE FIRST SET!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Gowza said:
i don't know aboout the belgian domination but someone like justine and her game really helps tennis around the world people will start believing that smaller people can be competitive but not only that they are seeing that smaller players can generate a lot of power and can be successful at net (even with there lack of reach) and still keep their good hands, speed and footwork.

a belgian domination is a fressh face for the tour after being dominated by americans for a bit (williams, capriati, davenport in recent years). i guess another good thing that could come from this is that the 2 belgians will be more hungry to compete and beat the williams sisters once they come back so they can remain as the dominate players on tour and it should make for some great matches in the future.

smaller people can be competitive? Well DUH! Didn't martina hingis win FIVE grandslams before justine was even out of juniors?

yes it will be fun when the other two best players in the world arrive to battle the upsurpers.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
SerialKiller#69 said:
Hardly marketable, where? In US? With all honestly, I don't give a damn. I

'd rather witness a Belgian domination because their tennis is much better, IMO. I prefer tennis with variety. Not just hammering and pounding the ball. That's just my opinion.
If you say Justine´s variety, I can give you that. But no way does Kim play with more variety than either sister. sorry! If waiting for your opponent to err, is variety, then....

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Cybelle Darkholme said:
smaller people can be competitive? Well DUH! Didn't martina hingis win FIVE grandslams before justine was even out of juniors?

yes it will be fun when the other two best players in the world arrive to battle the upsurpers.
was hingis a power player like justine? no! i also talked about smaller players being able to create a lot of power and not lose any other part of their game such as speed around the court, footwork.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
They are only dominating now because their main competiton (Venus and Serena) are injured. Once Serena and Venus come back to the tour and can be beaten consistently, then we will know if this domination is rea and if it is good for the tour.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm so sick of everyone talking about Juju having variety...SHE IS A POWER PLAYER...plain and simple...go watch her live and you will see that she hits the ball as hard as all the big babes...consistently

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
whiteplains said:
I'm so sick of everyone talking about Juju having variety...SHE IS A POWER PLAYER...plain and simple...go watch her live and you will see that she hits the ball as hard as all the big babes...consistently
:worship: :worship:

This girl only had a sliced backhand, and all of a sudden, she has variety.

Heck, Venus and Serena have a sliced backhand. Sure, it may not look as great, and they may not even have to use it, but, they do have it.

Justine is all-power, all the time. The only time she is not, is when the other power players put her on the defensive, but, everyone is on the defensive at least half the match.

Just, give me a break. :rolleyes:

Her game is exactly like Venus, Serena's, and Kim's. The only difference is, she has a one-handed backhand with a more effective slice.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,198 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
:worship: :worship:

This girl only had a sliced backhand, and all of a sudden, she has variety.

Heck, Venus and Serena have a sliced backhand. Sure, it may not look as great, and they may not even have to use it, but, they do have it.

Justine is all-power, all the time. The only time she is not, is when the other power players put her on the defensive, but, everyone is on the defensive at least half the match.

Just, give me a break. :rolleyes:

Her game is exactly like Venus, Serena's, and Kim's. The only difference is, she has a one-handed backhand with a more effective slice.

:rolleyes:
Do you see Serena, Venus or Kim hit high balls to the backhand or sliced forhands to the forhand?

And while Serena will always play a fully hit ball even when she is in defense, Justine has more options and uses a forhandslice from time to time.

I agree, Justine IS a powerplayer but the fact remains that Venus, Serena and Kim have more power and Justine has more variety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What about those predictable all Williams finals. Isn't that boring too?
everybody knows that the Williams sisters are dominating the tour not the Belgians.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts