Tennis Forum banner

Do you think Pliskova/Svitolina will eventually win a Slam ?

• Both will win at least a Slam

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Only Svitolina will win a Slam, Pliskova not

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Only Pliskova will win a Slam, Svitolina not

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Neither will win a Slam

Votes: 47 56.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason why I talk about them specifically in this thread is because both of them are the most longevive top 10 active players after Halep and both were chasing for their first GS for quite a while already. So do you think they will win at least a Slam till the end of their careers or not ?

Reactions: Gabriel_Hrnandz

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
it's not appropriate to lump Pliskova together with Svitolina in this topic.

Definitely there are good grounds to expect that Svitolina will never be a GS winner. Not so with Pliskova... she would really have to screw up or retire early.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
Svitolina, 95%. There's way too many players that find another gear that she can't match whenever they reach the later rounds in a Slam.

I feel like Pliskova has the same "QF/SF is enough" mentality that Halep showed in early 2014. She's more likely to snatch one but she can't get anything going in the European Slams and the competition is starting to be really fierce for the hardcourt ones.

The two remaining 2020 Slams may be their career best opportunity.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Every generation has some long term top10 players that end up slamless. In this case will be Pliskova and Svitolina.

·
Registered
918 Posts
They both definitely have a big monkey on their back.
But both of them will still have plenty of chances of getting off the monkey on their back... and ending their slamless status.
And these Covid times are a good opportunity, if they're ready to take their chances (and risk to enter a bubble and play 'tooth and nails').

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Pliskova will win one in her career...she's made a grand slam final and has gotten close a few times, she probably will have a Wozniacki run, maybe towards the end of her career...Svitolina, on the other hand...i just don't think she has the game....

·
Registered
18,440 Posts
They both need to become more tenacious. As is, neither is going to win a slam. But if we can see someone like Sonya Kenin fight her to an unlikely slam, Pliskova and Svitolina are not without their chances. They both need to lift their intensity and fight when required. The only difference between Pliskova's and Svitolina's slam record is Karolina's slam final; otherwise, they have near identical records: 2 SFs and 4 QFs. According to Wiki they both have a 66% WL at slams.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I don't know why the poll wasn't added the first time, but I added it now !

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
When people talk about "unlikely" Slam champions, I think one thing people consistently underplay is the tenacity and grit it takes to win. Though I wouldn't call a 21yo winning a GS "unlikely" per se, but when you look at what players from Ostapenko to Kenin to Bartoli to Schiavone had in common—it's the fact they rose above the competition. They won tough matches. They outlasted and outclutched their opponents on the GS stage. They played freely, without any pressure, and won.

The sad reality is neither Pliskova nor Svitolina have shown any of that so far. Pliskova was up 3-1 in the 3rd set of the USO Final and subsequently deflated like a balloon. Svitolina made two Slam SFs B2B but didn't win more than 4 games in either match. Even if the perfect draw is presented to them, it's hard to see them seize the opportunity because they always lack the urgency in their games that every GS champion has had so far.

Just because you're Top 10, and have won a lot of finals and titles, doesn't mean you can win a Slam. Safina didn't, even if she had the game to. Neither did Petrova, Dementieva, and countless others. Pliskova and Svitolina can win Slams of course, but from what I've seen so far, neither seem equipped to.

They'll continue to peak for the P5 before a Slam, though.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Slamless and PMless? Surely not - they both have slam SFs (and an F for Bot) maybe just that one more push for Bot, and two more for one half of GEMS. I really think that Svitolina is targeting this FO - she has been on clay this whole off period - a howling grunt here and there can get her across the line.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Both of them have some serious limitations that would make winning a Slam a difficult prospect: Pliskova moves like a Galapagos turtle, and has a bad tendency to check out mentally despite having a lead. Svitolina has no second serve to speak of, plays super passively in big matches, and has never really shown that she can “raise her level” in a match the way that proven Slam champions do.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I feel like Pliskova has the same "QF/SF is enough" mentality that Halep showed in early 2014. She's more likely to snatch one but she can't get anything going in the European Slams and the competition is starting to be really fierce for the hardcourt ones.
Pliskova hasn't made a grand slam QF since the 2019 Australian Open. Her problem is actually getting to that stage nowadays rather than getting there and deciding that she doesn't care to go further.

Karolina has said that the only goal she really cares about at this stage in her career is winning a grand slam. I think if anything the problem for her is that she's keenly aware of her age and is getting desperate about missing her chance, so she's completely paralysed by nerves at slams. She's lost to her own pigeons for two slams in a row in early stages while playing terrible tennis (Pavs at AO 2020, Konta at USO 2019), and in the slam before that choked hard against Muchova.

Svitolina may not win a grand slam because her game isn't suited to it. If Pliskova doesn't win one, it'll be because of her head.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I wish Pliskova would win a slam. If only because I think she should have won already. Maybe if Serena is across the net she will bring it.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Well, I hope these two can win a slam and shed the slamless moniker. The main issue with both of them is their mentality in big matches. I think they still have time to get a slam, maybe they need better sports psychologists idk.

Even if they don't win a slam, they both have had great careers to be proud of.

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
I kinda feeling the same way about Madison Keys in a way. I hope she doesn't end her career slamless and is able to win a slam

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, I hope these two can win a slam and shed the slamless moniker. The main issue with both of them is their mentality in big matches. I think they still have time to get a slam, maybe they need better sports psychologists idk.

Even if they don't win a slam, they both have had great careers to be proud of.
I think the only real problem is Pliskova who will end her career as a slamless #1 if she doesn't get one. Svitolina has a peak ranking of #3, has won a YEC, has a slam peak of QF/QF/SF/SF... her CV is very reasonable for a top 5 player. Pliskova as a #1 literally just has two P5s to her name, which is very poor.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Konta is another player who's had some good slam runs but has yet to get a slam.
Her slam record is actually very all or nothing. She seems to either make the QF/SF or bomb out in round 1 or 2. We were saying in her forum how she never loses in the 3rd round of slam. 😅

I hope she can sneak a slam before she retires, and ideally it would some how be Wimbledon. I think it would more likely be a hard court slam though.

·
Premium Member
27,291 Posts
For the long term benefit and popularity of the sport I hope they don’t. We need a big 4-6 who will dominate the sport over the next 10 years winning the majors and building rivalries with interesting stories, personalities and different looks and background + play style. Osaka, Andreescu, Gauff, Anisimova, Kenin and Barty would be ideal. Pliskova and Svitolina will not bring any star power to the WTA. If another great young Asian girl could come along that would be great too. But Svitolina and Pliskova are support cast.

·
Premium Member
40,806 Posts
oh, look at all those wishful sceptics!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts