Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justine is a lot of peoples pick to take home the US Open. But being fav to win a grandslam is different to being a conternder. I mean she has never gone in to a slam out and out fav. The french open she was never the fav wimbldon she was not, even thou she had won the french open.
Its a lot of to have on your shoulders even before you step on to the court. And im not sure if she will be able to handle it :cool:

Reactions: liuxuan

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think she will be able to hndle the pressure fine. In fact she will probably rise to teh occasion.

However, when she reaches the semi final it will make not one iota of diference when teh QUEEN OF THE COURTS, Miss Venus Williams obliterates the living daylights out of her. Justine will play at her best, but she will be playing a woman who does everything thrice as well, and who will simply knock her off the court with her game, and more importantly, her determination and willpower.

She will be simply outclassed. :bounce:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Who knows there is abour five people who can realitstically win the us open. She has a one in five shot nothing better nothing worse.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
cool bird said:
Justine is a lot of peoples pick to take home the US Open. But being fav to win a grandslam is different to being a conternder. I mean she has never gone in to a slam out and out fav. The french open she was never the fav wimbldon she was not, even thou she had won the french open.
Its a lot of to have on your shoulders even before you step on to the court. And im not sure if she will be able to handle it :cool:
This is what we call "wishful thinking".

She may very well lose to Venus in the semis, but that won't be because she couldn't "handle the pressure" it will be because Venus is better on this surface.

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
well, go justine!

·
Banned
821 Posts
I have a funny feeling that Maggie Maleeva will take her out in the QF.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
CamilleVidann said:
I have a funny feeling that Maggie Maleeva will take her out in the QF.
now this is wishful thinking!

I wonder where the realistic venus fans are. I can't believe most of them don't give any chance for Justine to win..are they blind???

·
Banned
821 Posts
per4ever said:
now this is wishful thinking!

I wonder where the realistic venus fans are. I can't believe most of them don't give any chance for Justine to win..are they blind???
Here I am. I'm the most realistic of the realistic. I know Justine is the better player then Maggie and the odds surely favor Justine if the two ever meet. But the pressure is on Justine. She has never been in such a situation before. I think she's considered the favorite to win the tourney and it's very fair. I myself reckon Justine is the favorite given that she's won the two most important turn up events (San Diego, Toronto). But that just adds to her pressure in my opinion. Maggie tends to bring out a huge upset when it's least expected. I don't think Maggie will beat Venus again in the Semis. Cuz this time around she will be hyped as having a great chance to beat Venus. That's the kind of circumstances under which she normally loses surprisingly easily.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
I simply cannot fathom how she won't make the semis with that draw, it is like her Wimbledon draw. And then it depends on the fitness of Capriati or Venus.

·
41,227 Posts
I know an upset can always happen: a bad day and a great day for the opponent and before you know it you're out of the tournament.

I wish some people would look further then only their favourites. I know that a good Venus will be very hard to beat on this surface, but I also know Justine has improved a lot this year. The fact that several fans actually think she has no chance at all is just ignorance.

btw I don't think Justine will crumble because of being the favourite..she loves it. She was the clear favourite in Toronto and she proved it. Like everyone in here says: if Venus plays, she's the big favourite..what makes Justine the underdog once again :)

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
per4ever said:
I know an upset can always happen: a bad day and a great day for the opponent and before you know it you're out of the tournament.

I wish some people would look further then only their favourites. I know that a good Venus will be very hard to beat on this surface, but I also know Justine has improved a lot this year. The fact that several fans actually think she has no chance at all is just ignorance.

btw I don't think Justine will crumble because of being the favourite..she loves it. She was the clear favourite in Toronto and she proved it. Like everyone in here says: if Venus plays, she's the big favourite..what makes Justine the underdog once again :)
per4ever :wavey: What's up??? Do you think the NY crowd will root for the underdog Justine or the American Venus?? Also do you think there will be backlash after what Justine did at the French??

·
Banned
821 Posts
But Toronto and NYC are totally different stories.
Just that she handled the pressure from the "favorite" status well doesn't mean she will do as well on a bigger occasion, much much bigger one. Justine is doubtless playing the best on the tour and most probably better than Venus whose form is hard to measure as she didn't play a turn-up. I just think Justine will lose before she reaches the stage where it really matters.

·
Banned
821 Posts
Knizzle said:
I think Maleeva won't make it past Asagoe in the first round.
No, Asagoe won't beat Maleeva. Maggie isn't the kind of player Asagoe loves to have on the other side of the court. I spoke to Asagoe after her loss to Maggie in the Barmingum final. She said her game really didn't match Maggie's. I don't think Shinobu is too happy to face Maggie in the 1st round.

·
41,227 Posts
Knizzle said:
per4ever :wavey: What's up??? Do you think the NY crowd will root for the underdog Justine or the American Venus?? Also do you think there will be backlash after what Justine did at the French??
Knizzle :wavey: crowds always tend to root for the underdog..and like you probably know the Williams-sisters aren't really the public's favorites in the States (or so it seems).
The only ones making a fuss about it are the press, Justine haters and bad losers ;) I don't think the crowd will react on that one moment several months ago (there was't any reaction in San Diego either).

If not for the press, nobody would even think about that anymore.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
per4ever said:
Knizzle :wavey: crowds always tend to root for the underdog..and like you probably know the Williams-sisters aren't really the public's favorites in the States (or so it seems).
The only ones making a fuss about it are the press, Justine haters and bad losers ;) I don't think the crowd will react on that one moment several months ago (there was't any reaction in San Diego either).

If not for the press, nobody would even think about that anymore.
Venus will be extremely upset with Henin over what happened at the French. Venus takes it real personal when someone messes with lil sis. :devil:

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
per4ever said:
oh don't bet on it..I'm sure that both the williamssisters forgot about that moment long ago.
She may not be truly mad at Henin, but she won't forget it, and she will use it for motivation I think.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts