35,934 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Excuse me? What do you mean?
He stated things as if I'd expressed that "never having tried weed made one ultra-conservative" when what I'd opined was that it's often the reverse. Plus his rationalization is in itself an example of a conservative approach.

To clarify my original opinion I'll use alcohol. There are many people who don't drink - meaning they have no interest in regularly consuming alcohol. There are people who have never been really drunk. But a person who has never intentionally had even one sip of anything alcoholic is a very different thing. Most of the people I've seen take that road are in one way or another - conservative. Often religious fundamentalists.

Reactions: Spencer. and JaySix

·
Registered
10,129 Posts
There's nothing narrow-minded about it. And I'll bet studies would prove it correct. Also note that I stated "most."

There are no destructive effects to alcohol or weed or most things- used in moderation.
Them's some sweeping statements you're making there. And the "most" doesn't work as a get-out clause, because you've said nothing specific about what would qualify as exceptions, and more to the point why.

Let's take alcohol as a case in point: Where I come from, abstaining from alcohol is quite frankly a radical position to take, not a conservative one. Almost al social occasions revolve around the consumption of alcohol, and people tend to look at you as if you've got two heads when you tell them you don't drink. The peer pressure to drink is intense. Maybe you don't understand that what is conservative to you may not apply elsewhere.

But even so, as long as it's my own decision, and does not affect you or anyone else ... why should you care? It's my business. I don't want anyone telling me what to do or what I ought to do when the consequences either way are for me alone. I grew up in a culture where religion poked its nose in everywhere. What you're saying (and how) is in its own way not far removed from how the bishops and priests of previous generations used to behave.

As to most drugs being OK in moderation: Well, we'd have to take that on a case-by-case basis. But if they are, then why on earth is it your concern whether anyone else consumes them or not?

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Them's some sweeping statements you're making there.
So "IMO" and "most" are modifiers that have no place in your assessments? Maybe if you stopped being defensive and thought you wouldn't be making such a big deal.

Are you conservative? I don't know. Let's say you're as liberal as it gets. That has no bearing on anything I stated. Can you offer any evidence that most people who've never tried weed are not ultra-conservative? I doubt it. So we come back to my original statement: IMO they are.

If what you're stating is IYO that's not the case - I'm cool with that. That's what makes things opinions.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
He stated things as if I'd expressed that "never having tried weed made one ultra-conservative" when what I'd opined was that it's often the reverse. Plus his rationalization is in itself an example of a conservative approach.

To clarify my original opinion I'll use alcohol. There are many people who don't drink - meaning they have no interest in regularly consuming alcohol. There are people who have never been really drunk. But a person who has never intentionally had even one sip of anything alcoholic is a very different thing. Most of the people I've seen take that road are in one way or another - conservative. Often religious fundamentalists.
That's your opinion and I respect that. Unfortunately I disagree and, like klr, thought it was a rather conceited statement. It is plausible that there may be more reasons to justify the non-use of substances like weed, that in no way make people conservatives or are sign of that political and ideological inclination. I just think your way of thinking is quite reductive. But all is good, We can't Always agree

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
It is plausible that there may be more reasons to justify the non-use of substances like weed, that in no way make people conservatives or are sign of that political and ideological inclination. I just think your way of thinking is quite reductive. But all is good, We can't Always agree
I can only think that you're so inclined to argue that you don't really think about what's been stated.

- "Most." That means "not all". Heck it could even mean only 55%. So obviously there are people who have never tried weed that aren't ultra-conservative.

- What does politics have to do with this? I'd think that any thoughtful person knows it wasn't about politics. One could be a life-long Democrat and be a conservative person.

a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : traditional
b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate>
c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I can only think that you're so inclined to argue that you don't really think about what's been stated.

- "Most." That means "not all". Heck it could even mean only 55%. So obviously there are people who have never tried weed that aren't ultra-conservative.

- What does politics have to do with this? I'd think that any thoughtful person knows it wasn't about politics. One could be a life-long Democrat and be a conservative person.
That's not what it seemed reading your post, if so, then good ;)
I m not a mind reader yet so, not knowing in which way you meant to use the term, I included political and ideological inclination. There's no need to attack me :rolleyes: . You probably give a lot of things for granted ;)
You sound a bit arrogant honestly

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Going on-line and using social media to announce to the world that you smoke weed is a good, sound idea.

·
Registered
31,194 Posts
I'm surprised so many people are saying no.

I love smoking weed and being high is generally a much nicer and less dangerous feeling than being drunk but also not as fun.

Reactions: VeeJJ

·
Registered
296 Posts
IMO most people over 18yo who've never tried weed are scary and, in some ways, true ultra-conservatives.
Sounds like the typical sentence a "cool" teenager uses to say when you tell him you don't smoke weed. I never found it appealing, and since it's illegal in my country mafia and criminal organizations handle this business, so I avoid to finance them.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
no, never did never will
im not attracted to any kind of smoking

·
Registered
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sometimes ;)

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
have you tried marijuana tea? :laugh2:

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
A long time ago in my early twenties I tried a few times since some friends were doing it and liking it. Yes the first few times I had the familiar situations to start with where it had no effect. But then when I tried - there was nothing at first but then it kicked in - And I started having really bad experiences. One effect was I had difficulty trying to pee even if I was bursting.

I thought it was just bad luck since the others did not have bad experiences. But the very last time when I got back in my bedroom - I had a really bad experience and was hallucinating. I remember thinking I'd probably be found dead the next day.

Also I was always like in a haze and slow to think for the rest of the whole week if I'd smoked weed and it kicked in.

Trouble is I had no control over what I was smoking (or eating) and it was either "full on" or "no effect". Unlike alcohol where it is gradual and I'm pretty confident about what exactly I'm drinking and how much I've had.

For those advocates of weed who say it is less harmful than alcohol and there's no bad after affects like there are with alcohol - all I can say is that is completely not true for me. I've had loads of enjoyable times where I've had a few drinks.

I believe that it affects people differently. Alcohol may be more harmful than weed to many. But not so for me.

·
Registered
18,442 Posts
You're happy?

:confused:

41 - 60 of 175 Posts