Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or the old Wta board? Or even like a player less because you don't like their fans?

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
Hmmm, in another board, the Williams fans really turned me off to them. There posts were about pro Williams, anti- everyone else, and if you didnt like them, your not a real tennis fan. People like that make me sick.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
no - I am pleased to say I am able to distinguish the difference :)

·
1,793 Posts
Certainly not. I chose whom I like based on my own views and opinions. Not those of others. We are not all joined at the hip and I am glad to see that most people like their favs' for various reasons.

If you only dislike a player because you are not too fond of that players fanbase. What does that tell you about yourself? I'll let you decide.

·
Registered
19,008 Posts
Well.. I can honestly say that I don't. But I feel that a couple of persons don't like me bcoz of the tennisplayer I like... *sigh*

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the fact of the matter is this. Certain players I used to at the very least tolerate but their "fans" have gotten so annoying that I totally dislike them. On the other hand I've never had love for Hingis but since becoming friends with Fingon I've at least been happy for him when she wins and stood in line at the US Open to get her autograph for him.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
The Hingis fans and williams fans were very loud on the old board they never made me like the players less but on this board one or two hingis fans have been very boystrous and forced there opinion on others and slagged a lot of people and players off!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I used the think Williams fans on the old board were a tad bit holier than thou, but it never turned me off to the sisters.

However, with the hostility I have seen against JenCap lately, I am beginning to see why some were so loudly defiant.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I admit that when certain fans annoyed me and bashed Steffi that it`s easy to start to say something nasty about their favs but I admit it`s dumb :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
I admit it is wrong and the player has nothing to do with her fans.

But I can't help some times to be put off on a player because her fans are just too annoying.

More on the other board though, on this one all fans seem to behave better.

·
Premium Member
19,764 Posts
I agree with Doublefault. What does that say about you as a person? Personally, I think saying you dislike a player because of their "fans" is a sorry excuse. You know the truth deep down. I can respect someone who says, I don't like a certain player moreso than someone who blames their dislike on the "fans".

I have favorites, but I have never disliked other players. Now, their actions are another story which is another discussion.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It's easy to be judgemental, but we have valid points. Example- a link of a Williams fans chat room was posted doing the Emilie and Venus game this week on this board because the scoreboard was not working. Some nice Venus fans decided to make international phones calls to the tournament every 5 minutes for updates. Some people on this board decided to come in and throw racial slurs at us, at Venus, the Williams family and black people in general. Yes, they came from this board. Till you have to fight that type of prejudice, don't preach to us! At least Jennifer don't get judge by the color of her skin but the content of her character.
And no, I don't dislike players because of their fans, there's just have to be more to it then that.

·
4,493 Posts
Well.. I can honestly say that I don't. But I feel that a couple of persons don't like me bcoz of the tennisplayer I like... *sigh*
Marri i like you a lot!;)

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
harloo said:
I agree with Doublefault. What does that say about you as a person? Personally, I think saying you dislike a player because of their "fans" is a sorry excuse. You know the truth deep down. I can respect someone who says, I don't like a certain player moreso than someone who blames their dislike on the "fans".

I have favorites, but I have never disliked other players. Now, their actions are another story which is another discussion.
Really? you can judge a person in an internet message board of that person's preferences in sports???

typical, thinking you know the reasons behind what everyone likes or dislikes, if you don't like the Williams sisters, you have to be a racist period, if you don't like Mauresmo, you have to be homophobic.

That conceptualtion and judging a person you don't know and you have never met because of their sports preferences tell me more about you as a person than my reasons for not liking certain players.

·
4,493 Posts
Í'm glad you do Marri;)

Btw i never dislike a player because i don't like their fans on this board.That would be pretty stupid:mad:

·
Registered
856 Posts
Do you ever dislike a player because you don't like their fans on this board?
GET REAL, I think you never really liked the player, so you dislike their fans!:rolleyes:

Excellent point Marri.:)

·
Registered
600 Posts
No.

However...

I have never liked the Williams sisters, but the fans on these boards have helped reinforce that notion.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts