Tennis Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think you would make a great commentator or columnist of tennis?
I'm losing credibility in myself lately. I thought I knew better then I do.
I have proven wrong on more than half the prediction I made at the Open. I guess I should refrain from making even mildly bold predictions. The sad thing is I'm not making my predictions based on favoritism. I really don't mind predicting aginst my favorites. Meaning I'm trying to be fair and objective. That doesn't help.
How do you feel when your predictions prove wrong continuously? Do you still keep high self-esteem as a tennis follower?

·
Registered
11,222 Posts
I think I would make a great tennis commentor for Brazil. For Women's tennis, since our commentos give more importance for men's tennis and when it comes some WTA matches, they barely know something, they check everything at WTA Tour.com, and sometimes they give the wrong information, so I think I would make a great women's tennis commentor, with infos, and stories about it.

My prediction in Roland Garros put Nadia on semifinals, so I guess that was a great prediction, cuz it wasn't very easy to predict who would be a semifinalist on that part, so I guess that's just an example of what I would make here :cool:

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
I used to consider myself a tennis expert. That was back in the days when I explained what a 'wildcard' was to my grandmother or helped my father pronounce 'Ivanesevic'. Needless to say, my feelings have changed about my 'expert' status once my brain capacities caught up with the rest of my growth...and especially since I joined this board. :angel:

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Well I wouldn't feel bad about the picks..it isn't like the experts go out on limbs either :p

Johnny Mac was making fun of Nick's picks..cause he was like Davenport in 2 ..not exactly a risk ;)

or how about Matt Cronin's prediction of Kim winning against Granville in 3 tight sets :confused: (I still have no idea what that was all about :lol: )

I personally would be a horribly bias commentator :p but I feel I have a pretty good all around knowledge of the women's game :)

·
Banned
14,953 Posts
I made 3 SF's in TTT. 2 consecutive this past month, and one at the US Open. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,829 Posts
I sure would not bash women's tennis as much as our commentators do :rolleyes: but I have absolutely no clue about the technique of the tennisgame so in that part I would be totally lost :p

and I would be very biased too;)

not to speak that I don't have the voice for it but that's a different story :eek:

·
Registered
11,975 Posts
Put Domi Van Roost and myself and you've got a fantastic commentator team!! Domi for the technique and some gossip! And myself to say "good forehand from ..." and also to give loads of informations that i had thnaks to WTAworld :worship:

·
Registered
10,834 Posts
a good one, not an expert like Bolletieri

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
I think just about anyone on this board could provide more interesting commentary than the dumbed down rubbish we have to suffer through on tv coverage.

I guess the commentators are told to speak as though their audience had just arrived from Mars. It usually backfires and makes the commentators look like tennis retards.

As for myself, well, yes I do consider myself an expert, compared to 99.99% of the population. I may not remember every single result of every single player at every single tournament, but I know how to find that kind of information in a split second when I need it. I do ok at predictions and as a lifetime player my understanding of technique is unrivalled :)

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Yes because I know lots of little details and facta about the game.

And I would never say some stupid things like some of the things I've heard from real commentators:

-Dementieva hasn't won a title yet
-Hantuchova is russian
-Petrova is 5'10 and Bovina is 6'0

·
Registered
9,990 Posts
smarties said:
Yes because I know lots of little details and facta about the game.

And I would never say some stupid things like some of the things I've heard from real commentators:

-Dementieva hasn't won a title yet
-Hantuchova is russian
-Petrova is 5'10 and Bovina is 6'0
:lol: Those stupid rubbish commentators should be fired. Tennis commentators in Hong Kong are ever more crappy, they could only say comments like " what a forehand!" , "what a backhand!", " a great shot!"
and the most stupid thing is they call a big serve an ace although the ball is returned, they obviously know nothing about tennis.

·
Banned
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A Japanese commentator: "Agassi must be real pumped up playing in front of his wife and beloved daughter!"

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Im okay, I dont consider myself in the leagues of Eggy, but I did a study into womens tennis and the media for Media studies, so I learnt a lot from my research in that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.