Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally tennis has no place in the games.
For one, there are way more important n lucrative events namely the GSs, if not more prestigious for some players. I mean, it's obviously quite a few players skip the Olympics because they don't take it as highly as the GSs. I don't think too many players go all out at the Olmypics knowing the U.S. Open is just around the corner. What's the point if players get injured at the Olympics and become unable to play the U.S. Open?
For another, in generaly ppl don't watch tennis much during the fortnight. I mean, tennis is of no importance in the Olympics. Sports like swimming, athletics, gymnastics are considered more important and thus get more attention: TV coverage, media attention.
What's your take on this?

Reactions: Fingon

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
I totally agree with you. Tennis should be taken out of the Olympics (along with a few other sports I could mention) ..............

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sam L said:
It was in the original modern games in Athens 1896, so it should stay. Other insignificant new sports should go before tennis.
Like what?
Personally Judo, Wrestling, Tekwando are among the sports I think should go.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Kingazza said:
Like what?
Personally Judo, Wrestling, Tekwando are among the sports I think should go.
Oof yes, again my thinking exactly (although I disagree with you on wrestling, because it was one of the original Olympic sports and should therefore be included). I also dont have any time for:

baseball
basketball
badminton
beach volleyball
mountain biking
football
softball
sailing

at the Olympics, although I respect these sports and the people who play them in other settings.

·
Banned
2,910 Posts
If you don't need, for many people and some players (of course non-American) the Olimpic Games are the most prestigious events because of their rarity and atmosphere. They should have their opportunities

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Nastyafan said:
If you don't need, for many people and some players (of course non-American) the Olimpic Games are the most prestigious events because of their rarity and atmosphere. They should have their opportunities
But if you apply that argument you would have to include all "sports" and these days "games" like darts, snooker and pool are counted as "sports", so where do you draw the line? Do you include "sports" like golf, skateboarding, stock car racing, surfing, grand prix racing, tossing the caber, bog racing, jeux sans frontieres (or "its a knockout" as we affectionately called it in the UK) ;)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I think the whole olympic stuff is not anymore suitable with the professionalization of sports and all the money involved in sports.

It's also a strange idea to give ranking points in the olympics as far as on one hand, this competition doesn't take place every year and on the other hand, the entry is restricted by questionable rules.

·
Banned
2,910 Posts
fifiricci said:
But if you apply that argument you would have to include all "sports" and these days "games" like darts, snooker and pool are counted as "sports", so where do you draw the line? Do you include "sports" like golf, skateboarding, stock car racing, surfing, grand prix racing, tossing the caber, bog racing, jeux sans frontieres (or "its a knockout" as we affectionately called it in the UK) ;)
Indeed, the line is hardly to be drawn and we see in almost every Olympics some sports are added, others -taken out. There was a discussion about golf too.
Definitely, the motor sports have no place in the Olympics because they are a competition rather of technologies than of human possibilities. If they take out all professional sports now I don't know what will be left. At least tennis is a sport with history and it's a competition between humans

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
At the moment the Olympic Tennis Competition is just a circus. The entry is restricted, the field is subject to other constraints. It is just another Tier II tournament at the moment, tagged on to the games - which it shouldn't be.

Olympic Tennis should either have gone the way of boxing, and remained amateur - a place to find and discover new talent. Or if it is to stay open it has to be at least as big as a slam, (maybe bigger) with 128 competitors, and no silly restrictions on entry that limit the field. The problem with this, is the huge upheaval it would make in the summer season every 4 years - but that could be dealt with.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I agree...the competition shouldnt be awarding points..

mainly the Olympics was made purely for the love of playing for your country and winning that elusive gold medal!!

Since there's points that could draw attention of top players but that would mean the olympics has no meaning to some players..which is another reason why they should have amateur players instead of professional

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
in what way is the entry restricted?

i think it would be great if the Olympics were DOUBLES ONLY. The singles has too much the feel of being just another (Tier 2, as somebody said) stop on the tour. But a doubles-only Olympic tournie, featuring pairs all from the same country, now that's something special that you don't find anywhere else. Eliminating the singles would really increase the visibility and importance of the doubles event.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Don`t understand the question. Of course we need tennis at Athens and in the Olympic Games in general. Everybody should have the right to watch the sports he/she likes. End of the story! :devil:

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
i think tennis in the olympis is really exciting!! and i'm sure many would agree

and just look at how many players have made the olympics one of their priorities this year! and all the past medallists say that winning their medal was one of their career's biggest accomplishments

no, i say tennis in the olympics does well, and should stay, leave it alone

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Exactly, j-mac.

Obviously the players do want the Olympics to keep tennis as a sport. A record 23 out of the Top 30 women (at the cut-off date) were selected to play the Olympics. Of the seven missing players, four missed out on singles selection: Maria Sharapova, Vera Zvonareva, Elena Bovina and Lisa Raymond (who will be playing doubles instead). Those who chose not to participate were Lindsay Davenport, Kim Clijsters and Jelena Dokic.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,007 Posts
quasimodo said:
I think the whole olympic stuff is not anymore suitable with the professionalization of sports and all the money involved in sports.
That's exactly why Olympics should stay. It's almost like last island of the true spirit of sports. That's just sick how sports are driven by money these days.

Tennis is natural part of Olympics I think. It was good decision to award players with WTA points this year. Not exactly GS level, but better than Tier I. :worship::worship:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts