Tennis Forum banner

Do the WTA rankings show, in order, the top ten female tennis players in the world

• Yes

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 72.9%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: 'in order'

01 WILLIAMS, S
02 SAFINA
03 JANKOVIC
04 DEMENTIEVA
05 ZVONAREVA
06 WILLIAMS, V
07 KUZNETSOVA
08 IVANOVIC
09 RADWANSKA
10 PETROVA

Here's the next ten, just so you have an idea of who's not making the top ten, at the moment.

11 BARTOLI
12 PENNETTA
13 WOZNIACKI
14 CORNET
15 AZARENKA
16 SCHNYDER
17 SHARAPOVA
18 CIBULKOVA
19 CHAKVETADZE
20 ZHENG

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
I think it does, at least the top 9. I would replace Petrova for Wozniacki.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
I actually think the top 4 is in the perfect order. Venus and Vera swapping would complete the top 10 in the correct order.

Azarenka and Wozniacki need to show a bit more of their talent at the top level before they move up.

(Of course, when Sharapova returns and she is healthy, she being ahead of Safina would make it set.)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it does, at least the top 9. I would replace Petrova for Wozniacki.
'In order'?

So you think Jankovic belongs ahead of Dementieva? And Kuznetsova belongs ahead of Ivanovic?

And Sharapova is not one of the top ten tennis players in the world at all?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Bartoli is 11. she has almost nothing to defend till the grass season. Expect her back in top 10 then.

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
'In order'?

So you think Jankovic belongs ahead of Dementieva? And Kuznetsova belongs ahead of Ivanovic?

And Sharapova is not one of the top ten tennis players in the world at all?
I guess Dementieva should be 3 and Jankovic 4. Kuznetsova definitely ahead of Ivanovic. Sharapova isn't playing.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sharapova isn't playing.
if that were the case Henin should still be no.1
No. The current holder of two slam titles would be #1. Probably. The ranking system IS arcane .....

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I think the rankings represent it as close as you can get. We have to keep in mind that it reflects last 12 months, so we can like someones recent achievements but they may not be where you'd thought they would should you consider last 6 months instead of 12.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
No. The current holder of two slam titles would be #1. Probably. The ranking system IS arcane .....
The ranking system sucks but how can Sharapova be ranked in top 10 by any standard if shes not playing. Thats what I meant giving Henin's example. Henin is not playing so she isn't ranked. Sharapova if and when she comes back will be back in top 10.
Theres no way she can be in top 10 if she hasn't played at all
Talent and rankings are 2 different things.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sharapova if and when she comes back will be back in top 10.
Sharapova if and when she comes back will be ranked wherever the computer says she should be. That's how we had Serena winning a slam while ranked #81 or something. I imagine Sharapova will return the top ten quickly, but Jennifer Capriati absence from the top ten was, shall we say, rather protracted? I'm still a bit surprised Amelie mauresmo can't regain her form.

As a fair way to seed tournaments, the ranking system is great. As a moethod of ordering the players from best to worst, it's sucks. But of course, it's not designed to order the players from best to worst.

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
Yes of course they do.

The order in which players are ranked is purely taken from results in the last 52 weeks. That's all that is relevant. Of course Sharapova belongs where she is for now. As far as the rankings are concerned, Sharapova has 2 titles to her name, has not been past the 4R of a slam and has only played for 6 months.

Serena Williams is the best player in the world because her results in the last year have been better than anyone else's. Last week, that was the case with Jankovic.

·
Registered
26,220 Posts
Venus :lol:

I think it does. Maybe swap Elena with JJ but they are very close. I'd probably put Venus at #5 ahead of Vera though.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Yes of course they do.

The order in which players are ranked is purely taken from results in the last 52 weeks. That's all that is relevant. Of course Sharapova belongs where she is for now. As far as the rankings are concerned, Sharapova has 2 titles to her name, has not been past the 4R of a slam and has only played for 6 months.

Serena Williams is the best player in the world because her results in the last year have been better than anyone else's. Last week, that was the case with Jankovic.
According to the arbitrary computer rankings. Serena had just won a GS in Sept.- better than anything Jankovic has done in her career. I'd say Serena's results were better, regardless of rank.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
I'd move Venus and Demented ahead of JJ and Vera.

That is what my eyes tell me. :shrug:

·
Winner
14,940 Posts
According to the arbitrary computer rankings. Serena had just won a GS in Sept.- better than anything Jankovic has done in her career. I'd say Serena's results were better, regardless of rank.
Not really. Remember Grand Slams still count as 1 tournament. Of course a Grand Slam title looks good on the resume and is a huge deal, but it counts as 2 weeks of the year. You have to play well regularly to be considered the best. Something, in 2008, that Jankovic did better than anyone else.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts