Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering... when I watched Roland Garros 2000 I saw Mary Pierce putting in her bag just a small replica, instead of the big one.. that must be so bad.. you work so hard.... and you don't take home the trophy, which is like your "diploma"....

Just imagine if you won Wimbledon and couldn't take THAT plate home.... OMG :eek: :( :confused:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I think they get small replica`s at all grand slams. In wimbledon for sure.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
CB - The Wimbey trophy stays in England as well.
You get tiny replicas from the U.S. Open and Wimbledon.
I am not sure, but the same may be true for the other slams.

What a gyp! All the money that the events receive and not even a full size replica.
:mad:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they took the full-size trophies at home, Steffi Graf would have to buy a flat only to store her trophies :) :rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
I was always under the impression that the winner got a FULL SIZE trophy, eventually. Their names are engraved on the trophy and they receive it in a few weeks. The trophy that stays at the Slam tournaments is a really big one that has the names of all winners from every tournament played.

In fact, Steffi did a commercial for a pasta and she used the Wimbledon plate to put the spaghetti on. I'm sure Wimbledon didn't lend her a spare trophy to do a commercial.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
That scale in the spot was a fake, There is a pic from Steffi where she is standing for her trophycase and I saw little duplicates from the wimbledon trophy in it.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
I though they took it home (the full size one and a replica) and the year after, they give the full size one back and keep the small one.

·
Banned
692 Posts
You wouldnt think that they teake it home for 1 year then return it whe play resumes,

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
They get a small size replica! lol... how are you ever gonna find enough space to store so many trophies that size! :eek:

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
186,223 Posts
It's like the Stanely Cup in Hockey! Though The wining club does get to display the cup for a time, they do not get to keep it! Too expensive!

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think they get a full size trophy. I've seen pictures of trophy cases of players and the trophies are definitely full size, not pint size.

If anybody is REALLY curious I suppose someone could e-mail the tennis hall of fame in Newport and ask because, I believe, the players who enter the Hall give them a trophy or two to to be put on display.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I remember seeing a pic of Martina N in a tennis magazine with all of her small Wimbledon plates set on a table.

No the women do not take the Plate home it stays at the All_England Club as well as the other trophies stay at the clubs of the other three slams.

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Do they get replica's at all tournaments, or only at Slams?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
With the amount of money they make, they can probably have their own replicas made.

I always wondered about that. Some of the smaller tournaments trophies are so ugly, who would want them! JK!

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
I would have to assume just at the Slams the championship trophies stay at the site.

Perhaps some of the more prestigious lower tier events like the Italian Open or Eastborne they might get replicas as well

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
i think it would make it more prestigious if you win the major and you keep the Real trophy in your possesion until next year where you have to bring it with you and fight to keep it! Afterall, defending champions aren't defending for nothing you know;)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
At this years Aus Open, the ceremony there was this really cute small replica of the trophy :) Aw

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
At the majors, they get a replica that's a lot smaller. Chris Evert stated this year at Wimbledon that it's only 1/8 the size of the real plate. Plus, I think they are laxer now about letting the player sort of keep it for a day or so for pictures around the city and at the event site. Martina Navratilova commented at Wimbledon (or somewhere) that when she won Wimbledon, you got to hold it on Centre Court, and then it "appeared" again at the Ball where it just sort of "was" like she couldn't really even touch it then. She acted a little bitter like today, you can parade around with it for a day or so. I'm not sure if her bitterness was in a good sense of humor way, or whether she's really irritated.

There are crystal vases at a lot of events, I image they just get to keep those. While they might be expensive, it's not like a silver deal or anything. Plus at some, the crystal trophy sits in a case, and it's not monogramed with past winners' names, so that leads me to believe, they just keep it. When Monica won (I think her first) tournament in Houston, she was upset/surprised there was no trophy for her to take home. So they send her one a couple of weeks later and she always thought that was really nice. She's also commented that her GS trophies are packed in boxes in her garage and that she has no plans to unpack them now. She says after she retires, she will!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts