Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have both been off for over 6 months with serious career threatning injurys, and have had to deal with the death of thier sister. Yet everyone (and I dont just mean Williams sister fans, I mean in the media, tennis fans in general etc) seems to expect them to just bounce back like nothing has happened.

Like most normal players they are taking there time to get back to the top of their game. But Serena has made the final of a slam, and Venus has done pretty well on the circuit. Although their rankings arepretty low, they are both 7 and 8 in the race, which considering how little they have both played (serena esepcially) is good.

Reactions: Infiniti2001

·
Registered
962 Posts
I think that people at times do expect too much from them. The only time you can get worried is if things do not get better for them by the end of this year or things are like this early on next year. They went through a lot and they need time to get to where they were before.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I think they expect a lot from them too. Being that they've been out for a while and that they dont play a lot of tennis...I wouldn't expect them to come back and dominate either. I think the more they play..the more treat they bring back to the WTA tour. NObody ever run other players defeats into the ground (Agassi, Roddick, etc.) but when a william sister loose...they question if they are going to retire or if they have lost their aura or whatever shit they say.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I don't expect Venus to win everything in sight, but when Venus says there's nothing wrong with her game (when it looks to me as if there seriously is) then I have to wonder who's crazy, me or her.

When I read that article at the start of BOTW, I was stunned that Venus was in such denial. And it's this denial IMO that has caused her this loss.

Lindsay did exactly what she had to do beat Venus: keep hitting to her forehand, many of her errors were FHs. If Venus continues to play like this she will never win the tournaments she plays and I'm sure she wants to win every tournament she plays.

Some have accused others of only supporting Venus when she wins, but let me tell you this, Venus doesn't want to lose any more than any fan wants her to. Most of her fans want the best for her, but to be at her best Venus has to be willing to do what's necessary, and it's been suggested that fans want to tell Venus what she should do, but it's obvious what she's been doing hasn't been working, so what's the harm in trying something new for a change.

Venus is at a crucial point in her career, it's do or die for her. She's only 24 and she has a lot of tennis in her and the game to be the best but if she doesn't want to do what's necessary to be the best, she'll just be in that pack they call "the rest'.

Yeah, maybe I'm hard on her, but there's a saying that there are some things in your life that you can control and some things that you can't, I think improving her game is totally within Venus' control. I just don't think she wants to change it, tho.

I looked at her standing next to Lindsay with a sorta smile and I wondered "Is she really satisfied with this?" I don't think she is, but maybe she doesn't think that in the whole scheme of life that it's really that important.

She had a good result here, but I'm not concerned about the result, I'm concerned about her game. If she's content to be this way then that is truly her prerogative.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
People expect more because they are better than what they are showing.

·
Premium Member
19,766 Posts
Yes, the media, the detractors, and even some fans expect too much from both of the sisters. The tennis community really is unsympathetic when the sister's lose and call for the end of their careers. You have seen the nasty comments from Martina Nav, Johnny McEnroe, Matts Wilander, Pamela Shriver etc. The list can go on and on.

Do you even hear anything when H-H, Kim C, or Jen loses early in a slam? No you don't hear anyone saying their aura is gone, they are not interested in tennis, they are over. etc.

It amazes me that these people are allowed to spew their negativity to the viewers, but those are the breaks. The sisters are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
WF4EVER said:
I don't expect Venus to win everything in sight, but when Venus says there's nothing wrong with her game (when it looks to me as if there seriously is) then I have to wonder who's crazy, me or her.

When I read that article at the start of BOTW, I was stunned that Venus was in such denial. And it's this denial IMO that has caused her this loss.

Lindsay did exactly what she had to do beat Venus: keep hitting to her forehand, many of her errors were FHs. If Venus continues to play like this she will never win the tournaments she plays and I'm sure she wants to win every tournament she plays.

Some have accused others of only supporting Venus when she wins, but let me tell you this, Venus doesn't want to lose any more than any fan wants her to. Most of her fans want the best for her, but to be at her best Venus has to be willing to do what's necessary, and it's been suggested that fans want to tell Venus what she should do, but it's obvious what she's been doing hasn't been working, so what's the harm in trying something new for a change.

Venus is at a crucial point in her career, it's do or die for her. She's only 24 and she has a lot of tennis in her and the game to be the best but if she doesn't want to do what's necessary to be the best, she'll just be in that pack they call "the rest'.

Yeah, maybe I'm hard on her, but there's a saying that there are some things in your life that you can control and some things that you can't, I think improving her game is totally within Venus' control. I just don't think she wants to change it, tho.

I looked at her standing next to Lindsay with a sorta smile and I wondered "Is she really satisfied with this?" I don't think she is, but maybe she doesn't think that in the whole scheme of life that it's really that important.

She had a good result here, but I'm not concerned about the result, I'm concerned about her game. If she's content to be this way then that is truly her prerogative.
I agree 100% Sometimes her attitude sucks in myopinion. She says shes devoted to winning and commited to doing what it takes but then she doesnt do it. I dont understand. Maybe its not as important. All I know is that she is different from 2000 and 2001 and even 2002. Maybe those losses to Serena in all those slam finals took a toll and she put tennis in perspective: its only game who cares if my sister beats me.

The hunger just isnt there. The fire and attitude is missing. She seems so blase about it all and hey if youre a multi millionaiire with guaranteed entrance into the hall of fame and slams on your coffee table and an firm to run then maybe tennis isnt that important.

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
Some people do expect too much of the sisters. But at the same time some people say or act like they're expecting too much when the truth is that they are enjoying seeing the sisters lose big matches or not win Slams or both. Phony ass haters. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts