Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jelena has had a wrist surgery and will not recover in time for the Australian summer of events.
Confirmed by Tennis Australia.

Devastating. :sad: :hug:
Last info from me.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
I'm probably the only one here thinking that it isn't a desaster. :shrug: I actually think it's good that she had a surgery now. I was hoping for that to happen during the last 6 months, because it's not 100% sure that the injury will disappear if you just let it heal on its own. A surgery is definitely better.

And BTW, it shows she still wants to come back. ;)

·
Registered
16,692 Posts

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
^ I believe you, I can assure you that.

Yes, I can imagine that Jelena was totally devastated because she's going to miss the Australian summer tournaments altogether, but on a long term perspective I think the surgery was the best decision she could have made in order to get her wrist problems sorted out.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Huh, where's DokDi's post? :confused:

·
Registered
648 Posts
really sad.... hope she gets well soon...:D

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
^ I believe you, I can assure you that.

Yes, I can imagine that Jelena was totally devastated because she's going to miss the Australian summer tournaments altogether, but on a long term perspective I think the surgery was the best decision she could have made in order to get her wrist problems sorted out.
She'll be 30 next year, she doesn't really have long term perspective career-wise.
And I'm not so sure about her surgery, just days ago she was ready to play a 25k and then all of the sudden she decides to get a surgery that keeps her away from playing for months? Add all the previous withdrawals to that and I'm pretty sure she just doesn't feel like she can make another comeback...

·
Registered
17,222 Posts
oh no Jelena :( really nothing going her way. Hopefully she'll still have some tennis in her, she didn't play for that long so I don't think her age really matter.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This news took a while to sink in for me, but yeah, I'm afraid Freakan could be right.

Australian Open is like 2 months away, and if she already now knows she won't play that, then there is no way she will be back in February-March either.
Earliest it would be for some clay ITF's in April...?

Also she will be close to a non-ranking after her last points are off...:tears:

·
Registered
12,025 Posts
Confusing news really.

She'd been training at that academy and was entered in a 25K, only withdrawing at the last minute without giving a reason. If she'd undergone wrist surgery, would it have been so difficult to cite that as the reason? She announced she'd arrive in Australia for an extended pre-season too. It's not like you book in a wrist surgery over lunch on a Tuesday, so why was she making all these plans if she knew she'd be going for surgery? Doesn't really add up and I think she's had this injury long enough to know how or even if she can manage it without surgery. Just seems odd that all of a sudden, her opinion would change so drastically and right before her comeback.

And if she was simply going to retire, she may not even bother with the surgery.

Is it possible she's 'depressed' again and just can't be fucked playing?

·
Registered
47,997 Posts
If she needs to start from ranking 500 next year then she better retires OR takes a protected ranking. I really dont see her coming back from such a low ranking. Playing 25k's would get her nowhere.

·
Registered
16,692 Posts
Hopefully she'll still have some tennis in her, she didn't play for that long so I don't think her age really matter.
This! She herself said exactly that by the way, so there's still hope.

·
Registered
47,997 Posts
DokiDi deleting posts :scratch:
Awww Australian summer wont be the same without her,my favorite part of the season ... just because of her :awww:
When was the last time Jelena did not play it? I remember she made an epic comeback in 2006 in that black outfit vs Razzano.
Now that I think of it, it was 2006, and even then you had a feeling she was gone for 10 years and then returned but in fact she was only 22-23 :eek:

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
:awww:

Last time Jelena didn't play was 2007. Then she played 5 years in a row.
January will suck so much. :sobbing:

I will miss that. :sad:

·
Registered
17,878 Posts
Oh no! What sad news. :sobbing:

She must have thought the injury was under control and then suddenly found out it wasn't. Like Henin with her elbow, realizing that the months and months of rehab weren't going to do the trick. :awww: What a shame! Poor kid.

But at least following surgery she'll have a very definite rehab program to follow. It will probably be a real relief after months of maybe wondering what would be the best answer to the nagging injury.

·
Banned
271 Posts
Can someone please tell me why we're all blindly accepting the assertions of this "DokDi" person as true?

If you google "Jelena Dokic wrist surgery", the only thing that comes up is this post. There are ZERO news reports about it, no other blog posts about it, no other claims of this sort in any other tennis forum.

Does DokDi have some sort of history of reporting Jelena news before it's known to the world, or are we all just so hungry and desperate for news that we're willing to eat up any crumbs thrown into our open, waiting mouths and believe that we've just eaten a feast?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts