Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is here, and this is the best time to be snapping away. My family is wondering what kind of a digital camera to buy, and I was wondering if everyone could please post what kind of digital cameras they have and what we should look for in a camera? Thanks everyone!

By the way, this is the one that our friend told us to buy: (He has an older version and says that it works great.)

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=172586&navigationPath=32090n47385

·
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!
35,893 Posts
I have a Kodak Easyshare....I think it sucks, personally but I think all digital camera's suck except for the $3000 kind. :shrug:

Kodak now has a 10x optical zoom camera out that's less than $400 I believe. :hehehe:

Anyway, whatever camera you get make sure it has a high optical zoom and don't worry about digital zoom it's meaningless.

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
Rocketta said:
I have a Kodak Easyshare....I think it sucks, personally but I think all digital camera's suck except for the $3000 kind. :shrug:

Kodak now has a 10x optical zoom camera out that's less than $400 I believe.
:hehehe:

Anyway, whatever camera you get make sure it has a high optical zoom and don't worry about digital zoom it's meaningless.

i got a 5x film camera for $100+

an image taken in film and scanned looks better than an image taken in digital on all but the most expensive digitals ($1500) and up.

and i get my film developed at snapfish for $1.99 for a roll of 36. so its pretty cheap.

·
35,893 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
i got a 5x film camera for $100+

an image taken in film and scanned looks better than an image taken in digital on all but the most expensive digitals ($1500) and up.

and i get my film developed at snapfish for $1.99 for a roll of 36. so its pretty cheap.
Oh I agree! However, most people want a digital camera now...:tape:

I carried 4 camera's with me when I went on my most recent trip. 1 digital, 1 35 mm, 2 medium format. However, my medium format aren't the expensive ones. One's a Holga ($20), the other is a 1960 Russian camera (cost $30 on Ebay). I let my neice (7yr old) take most of the pictures on my digital camera.

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
Rocketta said:
Oh I agree! However, most people want a digital camera now...:tape:

I carried 4 camera's with me when I went on my most recent trip. 1 digital, 1 35 mm, 2 medium format. However, my medium format aren't the expensive ones. One's a Holga ($20), the other is a 1960 Russian camera (cost $30 on Ebay). I let my neice (7yr old) take most of the pictures on my digital camera.

i have a question what exactly are the benefits of medium format?

·
35,893 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
i have a question what exactly are the benefits of medium format?
the negative is like 3 times bigger than a 35mm negative hence the quality of the pic is much better when blown up to 8x10 or larger.

I only take black and white with those camera's until this past trip I did take some color but I will have to see how they came out and how much it is going to cost to print them. They use 120 film.

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
Rocketta said:
the negative is like 3 times bigger than a 35mm negative hence the quality of the pic is much better when blown up to 8x10 or larger.

I only take black and white with those camera's until this past trip I did take some color but I will have to see how they came out and how much it is going to cost to print them. They use 120 film.

OK

i have another question, is there a CHEAP way to get black/white images from a film camera,

in japan i could print black white and sepia for about the same as color, but here they have that consumer black white film that comes out green ish, and the professinal stuff that they are asking 20+$ a roll so its just sitting there rotting.

i have been taking them in color and then scanning and then printing digitally in black white, and thats na pain

·
35,893 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
OK

i have another question, is there a CHEAP way to get black/white images from a film camera,

in japan i could print black white and sepia for about the same as color, but here they have that consumer black white film that comes out green ish, and the professinal stuff that they are asking 20+$ a roll so its just sitting there rotting.

i have been taking them in color and then scanning and then printing digitally in black white, and thats na pain
hmm, I don't know...I would assume those professional labs that you mail your film to wouldn't be that expensive. I take photography every semester as I can take a free class so I develop and print my own. I know a local lab charges like $3 to develop the film but that's without the prints. I'll actually look into that.

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
Rocketta said:
hmm, I don't know...I would assume those professional labs that you mail your film to wouldn't be that expensive. I take photography every semester as I can take a free class so I develop and print my own. I know a local lab charges like $3 to develop the film but that's without the prints. I'll actually look into that.

will do! :)

i wish i had taken a photo class in college, but i didnt get into photography until my last term doh!!

·
35,893 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
will do! :)

i wish i had taken a photo class in college, but i didnt get into photography until my last term doh!!
Let me ask how many pictures do you need printed from a roll of black and white? For me I may get 5 shots that I like and want a print from. Occasionally I get a really good roll and want more but I usually take 3 to 4 shots of the same scene but different angles and then just choose the one i like best.

Here's a site that's kind of expensive but they hand print your stuff and then they have bulk prices for 25 or more prints...

http://www.blackandwhitelab.com/

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
Rocketta said:
Let me ask how many pictures do you need printed from a roll of black and white? For me I may get 5 shots that I like and want a print from. Occasionally I get a really good roll and want more but I usually take 3 to 4 shots of the same scene but different angles and then just choose the one i like best.

Here's a site that's kind of expensive but they hand print your stuff and then they have bulk prices for 25 or more prints...

http://www.blackandwhitelab.com/

ok, i will check it out.

mostly when i do black and white or sepia, i am very careful with the shots that i take so i want about 20 printed taht way, which is why i was doing it the scann reprint way, because that way its only 19 cents-25 cents a print.

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,321 Posts
I have a Kodak Easyshare Dx 6340 with the printer dock, and I absolutely love it. The best camera I've ever used! :yeah:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Athenaeum said:
I have a Kodak Easyshare Dx 6340 with the printer dock, and I absolutely love it. The best camera I've ever used! :yeah:
do you wanna use it Sunday in philly Paris?

·
35,893 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
ok, i will check it out.

mostly when i do black and white or sepia, i am very careful with the shots that i take so i want about 20 printed taht way, which is why i was doing it the scann reprint way, because that way its only 19 cents-25 cents a print.
Well this site is for when you have that very good shot that you want printed on quality paper and printed using an enlarger. I'll have to keep it in mind for those semesters I might not have a chance to take the class.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
BlinX said:
Summer is here, and this is the best time to be snapping away. My family is wondering what kind of a digital camera to buy, and I was wondering if everyone could please post what kind of digital cameras they have and what we should look for in a camera? Thanks everyone!

By the way, this is the one that our friend told us to buy: (He has an older version and says that it works great.)

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=172586&navigationPath=32090n47385
Hi BlinX :wavey:
I got a Sony DSC-P10 which is very similar to the one on the web site. It's very good camera the quailty of the pictures are great especailly at 5M and it's easly to use so it is great for family photos and things like that. The only disappointing thing is the zoom it only has 3x optical zoom so it will not zoom much especailly when I brought a sony camrecorder 2 years ago which has a billiant lens I think it's 12x optical. Overall they are great for family photos and stuff. You can also consider Fiji cameras they also very good and more value on money than Sony.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts