Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would say Venus beat herself. She made so many unforced errors which cost her the match. if she had cut down on errors, she would of won it easily. Venus just dstroyed herself. End of the story.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Lindsay earned her victory. She stayed in it until the very end, and really played great in both tiebreaks.

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
yes, you can think whatever you want babe! As can any1!!!1

But, Lindsay played a great match, and so did venus, that is my opinion, the end :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Davenport won the last point so she earned it. It not her fault the other player made UFE

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
SerenaVenusNo1 said:
Well, the Yahoo match report called it possibly the best match they ever played against each other.
In terms of actualy quality, probably not. But of all their matches, I enjoy this one the most. It was utterly gripping and an amazing battle.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
well, it depends on your definition.

Venus beat herself in the sense that the only reason Lindsay was winning was because of Venus's errors.

However, 7-6 in the third isn't really a giveaway either.
But the fact that Venus hit 73 errors, and Lindsay hit maybe 20 winners, I'd agree that Venus beat herself

·
49,001 Posts
Venus.........

She should have converted her 1st set set points, and then sealed the deal in the second. So, I can't say that Venus beat herself because she had her chances, and Davenport fought them off.

Venus.

·
Banned
589 Posts
mmcdonald said:
well, it depends on your definition.

Venus beat herself in the sense that the only reason Lindsay was winning was because of Venus's errors.

However, 7-6 in the third isn't really a giveaway either.
But the fact that Venus hit 73 errors, and Lindsay hit maybe 20 winners, I'd agree that Venus beat herself
Buddy, Venus is never going to not hit errors. And whatever Lindsay's winner total, her forced errors would be higher and you might as well add the two together. But did Venus lose due to poor play? I don't think you can make that case. Venus' game is high risk, she makes errors. If she didn't make the errors, she wouldn't hit the winners.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
also Davenport earned it because she tactically played a smart match. She had to hit 80% of all her serves and all her shots to Venus's forehand.

It was like Venus's match against Zvonareva all over again.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I haven't seen all of their matches so I can't say if this was their best of the 23 ( :eek: ). Certainly it was the best since 2002. Not as high a quality match from either player as their Wimbledon QF, which featured more winners than errors from both, but this one had much more drama, and, best of all, longer rallies with great effort from both.

And to even question if Davenport earned this victory is ridiculous. She totally deserves it and I'm so happy for her. Venus did not play her best, but, you know, neither did Davenport. Lindsay was simply better on the bigger points and she came up with some spectacular groundstrokes to seal the match.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Davenport earned it. She kept her shots deep and had to mix up the variety just enough so Venus couldn't just count on it being to her forehand. She also had to actually get the shots to Venus' forehand. A lot of the unforced errors really were because of the depth and speed of Davenports shots.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
doesn't matter. she lost.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Lindsay earned it today no doubt about it. You would have thought that after losing the second set, she would mentally kind of lose it there in the third set, but she hung in there. She played really well on important points and she deserved to win it despite the errors from Venus.

We all know that Venus tends to have problems with her forehand and especially even when she used to play Serena in the finals, it was her forehand that mostly let her down. So it is a problem that she has always had and will have to work on it.

·
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
20,453 Posts
tennischick said:
doesn't matter. she lost.
:lol:

come on... Lindsay won fair and square.. she fought hard and she deserves it:)

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well Venus did have a lot of problems on her serve, but you know Lindsay so often tanks in finals, and I have to say I think she did a pretty good job of holding up. You know I have this joke that as soon as her draw opens up in a tournament thats her cue to lose, and you know she suprised me today.

·
Premium Member
19,766 Posts
Venus did not show up, and tough luck she lost. It's no big deal. Lindsay deserves credit for winning the title and beating Vee for the first time in 4 years.

You can always argue back and forth about who did not play well, but the bottom line is the win went to the better player today.

Peace!!:D ;)

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Lindsay played well but Venus really helped her out...I watched it from beggining to end. Venus forehand was just terrible the first match...it started to Gel in the last set. Venus is slowly but surely getting around to playing well again....I gave Davenport the edge coming into this because she has been playing more and she has been consistent more than Venus.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts