Tennis Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall at the US Open, fifth-seeded Caroline Wozniacki suffered a disappointing second round loss late at night to Ekaterina Makarova on an outside court in three sets. Earlier in the day, unseeded Maria Sharapova defeated Timea Babos in three sets to a packed house in Arthur Ashe stadium.

Wozniacki was not happy when she entered press. “I don’t feel that a person who has been suspended for taking performance enhancing drugs should be on Ashe, while the fifth ranked player, who has played by the rules, has to play on an outside court late in the night.”

“I don’t set the schedule.” Sharapova sniffed haughtily. “I would play in the parking lot if they told me to. All I know is that I am in the next round. I don’t know where she’s at.”

Earlier in the summer, Sharapova’s agent referred to Wozniacki and Aga Radwanska as “journeyman” players who should not be complaining about Maria’s wild cards or center court assignments.

Following the US Open, Caroline Wozniacki went on a tear, winning 22 out of her next 26 matches, notching three wins against current number one players, and most importantly, winning the two biggest titles of her career (YEC and Australian Open).

While Wozniacki was saving match points on her way to capturing her first grand slam title, Sharapova was bowing out meekly to Angie Kerber, 6-1 6-3, in the third round. Caroline Wozniacki is currently the number one player in the world; Sharapova is ranked 40.

Who is the “journeyman” now? >:)

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I don't understand why she would suddenly be inspired by a minor put down from someone she has been trying to catch up with for over a decade :shrug: it's not like it was the first incident between them :scratch: maybe it spurred her on a little but I doubt it's much to do with Maria...

Reactions: TNT96 and bud887

·
Registered
15,787 Posts
It’s a tremendous tribute to her that she has had a great career despite that hot mess of a forehand that defies description and logic.

I mean it's two days past but I still physically recoil at the term "slamniacki"... but credit where credit is due, the golden retriever threw that 10 or so years old monkey off her back, and has now basically secured her HOF spot.

·
Registered
114,479 Posts
Eisenbud was using that term when Sharapova came back from the drug fail.
I doubt it motivated Wozniacki. Trying to do well in a major as #2 seed is normal behavior

·
Registered
114,479 Posts
I think the outside court might have reminded her to keep her focus and not let things like that bother her
In the AO, she had to play a very late match that went to almost 2AM. Also, she beat Bertens and the linesman and chair both got the call wrong, so she had to win it twice
She held her composure very well and as a favorite in a major, that is a big deal. So her NY experience might have helped, but I dont think she ever viewed the journeyman comment as anything but an insult from a hired flack, Eisenbud

Reactions: Dalek194

·
Premium Member
41,975 Posts
I can't get in her head but I don't think she was motivated by Sharapova as much as she was motivated by the early exit at the USO.
Wozniacki had had her best results at that slam (up until the AO win) but she bowed out early while Sloane Stephens won her first major out of nowhere.

Perhaps she was particularly upset about the remote court since she's a two-time finalist at the USO.
Anyway from her comments at the presser she definitely felt disrespected and it could have motivated her to refocus and achieve more on the court.
Wozniacki did her best at the USO, Makarova played lights out (just to play bad the round after - as I said before, I don't understand this player), nothing Caro could do.

Sharapova and early USO exit had nothing to do with Woz improvements which are especially due to her hard work, and the feeling that all the WTA tour finals she reached during the year should be rewarded by a streak of wins, that came at the end of the year and are sustained now.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I can't get in her head but I don't think she was motivated by Sharapova as much as she was motivated by the early exit at the USO.
Wozniacki had had her best results at that slam (up until the AO win) but she bowed out early while Sloane Stephens won her first major out of nowhere.

Perhaps she was particularly upset about the remote court since she's a two-time finalist at the USO.
Anyway from her comments at the presser she definitely felt disrespected and it could have motivated her to refocus and achieve more on the court.
I think the outside court might have reminded her to keep her focus and not let things like that bother her
In the AO, she had to play a very late match that went to almost 2AM. Also, she beat Bertens and the linesman and chair both got the call wrong, so she had to win it twice
She held her composure very well and as a favorite in a major, that is a big deal. So her NY experience might have helped, but I dont think she ever viewed the journeyman comment as anything but an insult from a hired flack, Eisenbud
I think these are both more accurate. Jon Wertheim related a story from the US Open a few years back (maybe it was 2015?) about a female tennis player, unnamed, busting into the tournament director's office about 30 minutes before a match during the first week of the tournament to ask who was in charge of the player photos that appear on the jumbotron of the stadium (it was either Ashe or Armstrong) because she didn't like hers and wanted to update it. Wertheim pointed out that the unnamed player lost that round, his point being that a player focused on superficial shit like that wasn't focused on the tennis.

I remember when the story was relayed that I looked up the players who played those courts and lost in the first week, and Wozniacki's name jumped out at me as a likely candidate.

I do think she's more focused now than she was before. Perhaps it's the concentration that's helping her maintain a better serve, maybe it's just maturation, but it's real, and I think the US Open was probably a good example of her last big time extraneous meltdown.

Hope she keeps it up!

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wozniacki lost six finals in a row before the US Open, including one to Siniakova at a minor claycourt event. Something clicked after her war of words with Sharapova.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I doubt Caroline cares about Pova’s opinion.

Reactions: I_CLAUDIA_1961

·
always getting what i want
18,244 Posts
That hack winning a Slam to spite that thing was the one and only good thing to come out of it.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
"They are smart to try to keep Maria out of Paris. NO Serena, NO Maria, NO Vika, NO Petra, it's their last chance to win a slam".

There you go, the "journeyman" did not require the absence of Sharapova. The absence of Vika and Serena might have helped.

Caroline won her slam at the first one that the returning Sharapova entered by right.

Meanwhile, nine months into her return, it's Sharapova who will be ruing her lost opportunities in the slams she played in the absence of Azarenka and Williams.

·
Registered
114,479 Posts
Can't wait for their next meeting.
Yes, that will be fun! Sharapova is a bit of a mystery. She cant be this bad. She used to be tremendous and she is not that old

·
Registered
114,479 Posts
She's the same age as Djoko and Murray, and they are falling apart at the seams.
The big 4 is now the big one and and that is from 3 of 5.
Look at the year Venus had in 2017. thats why I'm surprised by Sharapova. She used to move well for a tall player.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.