1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Safin was exhausted... :sad: :fiery:

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Very boring match :eek: I think Cliff Drysdale, commentator for ESPN, said it best when he said "I think Safin thought in order to win today's match all he'd have to do is show up." That was apparent throughout the entire match.

Very disappointing Aussie Open. First Jennifer wins, now Johansson. Not that I dislike Johansson, but just completely odd ending.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
What a pity...
I guess Marat will learn from this and comes back stronger...
I love his speech though, always able to find humour in everything.
The birthday song was sweet. ;)

& I hope next time, he will have better taste in girls.
Look at that 3 bimbos esp the one whose boobs were practically popping out of her "bra-blouse" whenever she was clapping.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Marat I think definitely did not take his duties seriously. Who knows what would have happened if:

1) Wayne Ferreira hadn't had 2 five-setters on the bounce (Marat admitted he got kind of lucky there)
2) There was no rain dely against Haas.

I'm so disappointed for Marat, but Thomas did a great job. No-one gave him like one single chance - particularly after he struggled against Novak.

·
63,516 Posts
Hey! Johansson v Novak haven't any rain delay as well...

Matthias told me that he bring four blond girls to watch and cheer for him against Haas and Johansson! He met the girls at bar LOL!

·
Genie Bouchard of TF
108,152 Posts
german commentator said he met 6 blonde girls at a bar, and then he offered the girls to be his guest the 2 weeks, and durring the sampras match all 6 girls sitting beside his coach, and durring the haas match 4 girls sitting beside his coach.
all with this players-box passports.
the camera showed the girls few times.

maybe thats the reason why he was tired.
he need the power for the night ;)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
thanks for the scoop matthias! LOL

No wonder, my match commentators(John Alexandra & Gary wilkison) mentioned that he asked the Russian commentator next to them whether they know who those girls are. He faked a Russian accent to repeat what the Russian commentator told him : "No idea, even Marat has no idea too. "

:p

·
Premium Member
181,845 Posts
Marat certainly didnt play during 2nd and 3rd sets

What a disappointment :(

but Thomas played great so all credit to him for holding his end up.

As for Marat ......... too much partying with those girls.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Well, Thomas certainly is a fine player, and that's why he won the Australian Open.

But it was apparent that Marat didn't take him seriously, and then when he got behind he gave up. :(

I know Marat wasn't reacting well to being the overwhelming favorite...he plays much better when he is in underdog or even-money situations...

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Marat & his girls....

Keeping abreast of blonde ambition

By JACQUELIN MAGNAY
Monday 28 January 2002

It's hard work being blonde and a friend of Marat Safin. For one, you have to compete for his attention as the Russian tennis player has a habit of accumulating other blondes of a generous chest size.

Then you have to know how to react when Safin misses a point. Run the manicured fingernails through the long locks, clench the fists, console the blonde sitting next to you and perfect the skywards-look-in-hope.

Safin's notoriety at this year's Australian Open wasn't just based on his backhand, but also his decidedly glamourous and less-dress-is-more entourage. His Swedish opponent Thomas Johansson may have had the hysterical support of the Swedish Supermen but Safin had the Supermodel Safinettes.

There was 21-year-old Katya Bestoujeva - she is the one Channel Seven cameramen panned to between points as her left breast appeared ready to burst forth out of a tight white frock - who is fresh and delightful in person.

Fashionistas will want to know that she created this all-white ensemble to match Safin's shirt, and teamed it with a gold belt and 15-centimetre-high gold stilettos, complete with diamante-studded straps.

Bestoujeva is, naturally, a model and is between assignments. Today she and her 36C breasts fly out to New York, then London and Paris. "It is a pity he lost, he was supposed to win, it would be much better," she said, before heading back to the hotel to console her man who turned 22 yesterday.

Next to her in the exclusive players' box was the tight purple T-shirted Anna Gorski, another Muscovite who is studying graphic design and marketing at Monash University and who met Safin on the practice court last week.

After the match, there was this exchange with journalists.

Gorski: "We met here and got along well and just hang out. We've been seeing Melbourne a bit, but it is not very exciting."

Question: What? Safin had three blondes in tow all week and you didn't have a good time?

Gorski: "Oh, he had a good time, I am sure he had a very good time."

Gorski is now keen to return to Moscow with Safin and support him during the Davis Cup campaign.

The third blonde was an unidentified Australian woman with curly locks. The other two didn't know her name, but she was, apparently, a friend of a friend of Safin's.

Former Soviet Union player Alex Metreveli, who is here in Melbourne commentating for Russian television, reckons Safin's downfall is those in the box.

He said the problem with Safin's game was that he doesn't know who to have around him.

"They are friends for a week while he is doing well," Metreveli said.

But Safin wasn't seen complaining.

Jacquelin Magnay is a blonde.

Marat... (shaking head) :eek:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Very mediocre play by Johansson, even if he tried his best, level having nothing to do with Grand-Slam winning caliber. Grand-Slam winner who can be branded "fluke" even before he was handed the trophey. Pathetic showing by Safin, who couldn't force himself make an effort to win, even if he wanted to win. The worst Grand Slam final since Rios-Corda AO 98. Safin lsoing it might be the best thing that could have happened to him. Hopefully it will help to turne his career similar to Sampras's loss to Edberg in USO-92..

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
ys - that's if Safin cares, he certainly didn't seem to after the match. And to think that all the way through I was thinking 'poor boy, he can't get his head together'. Ah well, if he's not upset neither am I, and it's tough to be angry with him for some reason. :rolleyes:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
His problem is that he is Russian and he is Aquarius. That's a dreadful combination for the sport. Always moody. If they don't feel like doing something there is nothing in the world that can make them make an effort. They are lazy. They would hate training. They don't really care until they are pushed to a brink of failure. They like to be pushed there. They like to get the adrenalin flowing by getting on that brink and escape. They don't always escape. In tennis matches of Russian Aquariuses everything depends on their mood. Kafelnikov is also that type. I know that kind of people well. I am one of them. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts