Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
35,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been following WTA this season. Just checked the rankings and Garbine is 36th!! WTH? :( Didn't expect she would decline that much this fast. I'm still not sure what the hell happened to her. She peaked and declined so suddenly it's like her being good never actually happened. It went so fast. Reminds me of Ivanovic in a way but Ivanovic kinda stayed relevant even after declining. Her decline wasn't as sudden as Muguruza's. Muguruza is such a weird case.

Is it lack of motivation? There is not as much fire in her anymore? And it seems once she lost weight, her game wasn't really that threatening. Maybe that led to loss of confidence and she never got it back again? Or maybe she just stopped trying to improve her game. I keep hearing her FH getting worse and worse.

I don't think the reason is lack of talent. Obviously she was never the most talented on the tour but she is talented enough to win big. That's for sure. Her decline is sad to me because she grew on me overtime and I wanted her to do well :/

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
It is strange. To beat both Williams sisters in GS finals is no mean feat.

I think the tour is just very tough. Most of the top 50 players are at a standard when on a good day, they can beat anyone else. So it's just hard for any top players to maintain consistency. There are some top players showing a bit more consistency, namely Barty, Osaka and Andreescu but Barty lost early at both Wimbledon and the US Open, Osaka is not totally dominant yet and it's very early days for Andreescu really.

·
Registered
15,244 Posts
I feel Garbine doesn't really have the will to work really hard to compete with younger and strong girls and rather gets frustrated early in the match. She is only 26 so she'd still have at least 5 years to figure things out but it doesn't seem that she has it in her. That said I would not be surprised if she retires in the next 2 years.

·
Registered
15,244 Posts
Ivanovic’s decline was kinda quick though until she picked herself back up? Didn’t she like fall out of the top 50 or something in the world in 2010 before resurging?
It lasted very briefly though, Ana was back at No.17 only 3 months later and never really left top 20 until the end of her career.

Garbine's time out of top 20 is already longer than Ana's

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Yeah, it's a lack of motivation in my opinion. Just like Sloane, but her decline started after winning a 2nd slam in Wimbledon. Hopefully Simona won't be next...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I saw her loss at Wimbledon this year. She looks lost. Every time Haddad Maia hit hard to her forehand whether serve or groundstroke it would return wide. Double faults here, double faults there. I’ve actually got a video of the match point on my phone and in the back you can just about see Sumyk’s head drop when her second serve hits the net...

Hopefully she can rebound next season after losing him and be injury free. Only then could I see her be back up contesting in the top 10.

·
Registered
813 Posts
At some point success got to her head. It all started going downhill when she started making statements like "My game is more like Federer's". Two years ago I clearly remember one of her post-match interviews where she was to face Halep the next round and was asked about that. She was quite condescending only to lose handily the next day.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
Lost weight, bad attitude on court - look at how she treated Sam, even if he gave vague instructions, and that panic look in her eyes once a player starts returning balls. Her millions are enough, she will make a good clothing model - maybe on the runway.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Once she won a Slam, she clearly expected a winner’s aura to hand her future wins...

She never was that dominant and the league is just too good for anyone to fear a player that doesn’t have consistent dominance over an extended period...

Take Andreescu’s 6-0, 6-1 destruction of her at Indian Wells... People know they can do this to her...

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
She used to constantly get injured at the beginning of the season, and generally after periods of time when she was doing more practice than actual match play. So I've always thought that her injuries were related to intense training blocks rather than overplaying.

These days she's mostly healthy, but also direly out of form. So perhaps her team has changed her training regimen to avoid injuries. Or maybe she's not motivated to work as hard anymore.

·
Registered
953 Posts
the sad thing is that she seems to love fame but nobody in spain gives af about her, you literally only heard about her here when she won the slams

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
the sad thing is that she seems to love fame but nobody in spain gives af about her, you literally only heard about her here when she won the slams
Maybe because she's not actually Spanish.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Do Spanish people give af about tennis except Rafa Nadal?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts