Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't think many TF users think about this that way but I have some feeling that Bianca really significantly improved during this summer all her on-court tantrums & MTO's in every single match. This is of course not measurable by any objective criteria but something tells me she took 3-times GS champion's words silently into her heart and changed something. I must admit that I'm not regular Bianca follower so I did not see all her matches prior and after the 'You are biggest drama queen ever' incident but it was very difficult for me to watch her matches in the start of the season while now I can enjoy much more her variety and tennis than before. As a humble person myself, I don't think Angie's comment was necessary or if she had this need, she could confront 19y.o. outside cameras/media. But while I don't agree with the shady comment I have feeling it had possibly a good impact on Bianca's behavior and maybe even her performance.

What are your thoughts? Do you see some (even a small) correlation here? Or do you see any progress in Bianca's on-court behavior at all?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well, the MTOs are a different thing altogether, some say she abused them, her fans say she didn't, objectively we have no real answer there. What I can say for sure is that she doesn't do that annoying ball back between points that almost hits the opponent's back. She did that v Kerber and v Venus (if I remember correctly).

·
Registered
30,706 Posts
Sylvain Bruneau said at the time that Bianca needed to work on her poker face. It may have been a wake up call as she was beginning to have a reputation for that sort of things.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Don't doubt it. Kerber, the unsung hero of WTA as some have called her, has such a positive influence on the tour, that even when she's just complaining in grumpy bear mode something good can come out of it.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
Are we sure Bianca even heard and understood everything at the net at the time?

Kerber doesn't make eye-contact — her comment was sorta "drive by", spoken while having that classic Kerber "I'm not amused by what you just did" face. And neither does BB react or acknowledge as if anything was said to her.

·
Registered
21,333 Posts

Kerber doesn't make eye-contact — her comment was sorta "drive by". And neither does BB react or acknowledge as if anything was said to her.
Yeah she looks taken aback by Kerber’s attitude but I don’t think she heard what she said. I imagine she must have heard what it was by now though :lol:

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Kerber doesn't make eye-contact — her comment was sorta "drive by", spoken while having that classic Kerber "I'm not amused by what you just did" face. And neither does BB react or acknowledge as if anything was said to her.
Yeah, she said she didn’t hear what Angie said to her even though she must have gotten the general tone. 😛
She was laughing at some of the Drama Queen jokes later on, plus she’s been asked about it in interviews, so she definitely knows now :lol:

·
Registered
599 Posts
i don't think bianca really cares what kerber or anybody says about her really. if that's the worse anyone says about her, that's fine. ( i think bianca has a pretty thick skin anyway)

at the time it happened, bianca was still pretty much an unknown on tour, and with kerber having lost to her twice in consecutive weeks, she was just pissed off, couldn't understand why she lost to her.

now she knows, she was getting beaten by the u.s. open champion.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I don't think it affected her behaviour at all. All of this "drama queen" stuff never would have persisted if Kerber hadn't made that comment. It was obvious that it wasn't all drama after Miami when Andreescu was sidelined for months with a major injury. Then when she returned she played several big tournaments and won many matches, without any drama or medical timeouts.

At this point there should have been no more discussion about her being dramatic as some sort of a tactic; it's obvious that she just wears her emotions on her sleeve and has a bad poker face, but she keeps fighting through matches. Nothing new or surprising on the WTA tour, really. But because of Kerber's previous comment, the phrase "drama queen" persisted and kept being referenced on forums, video comments, twitter, instagram, etc. The ridiculousness peaked at the WTA Finals, when people railed on Andreescu for being "dramatic" after having to take an injury timeout when leading 2-0 against Pliskova. Obviously this made no sense because she started playing significantly worse, couldn't move properly, and had to retire after one set. But because "drama queen" was now basically a meme, people couldn't wait to parrot it any time they had the chance.

It's unfortunate because Kerber is one of my most liked players, but a veteran like her should have known better than to make comments like that right after a match when emotions runs high. We definitely don't need to give morons on social media any more ammunition to attack players, since it happens a lot already anyway. I guess the greatest irony is that all of this DRAMA continues to persist because of Kerber's original comment, not because of Andreescu's actions.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
Sylvain Bruneau said at the time that Bianca needed to work on her poker face. It may have been a wake up call as she was beginning to have a reputation for that sort of things.

I don’t think it was a wake up call . Bruneau just said publicly what they had been talking about privately...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
And that’s just friggin’ absurd... I mean honestly. Regarding the leg cut, she showed it to the umpire, and the umpire MADE her stop and get it bandaged by the trainer...

Given the nature blood related infections, there is obviously something in the rules that requires this... They won’t let players bleed in nearly every other sport also... Bianca had zero call in this...

Regarding talking a MTO up 2-0 after breaking Pliskova, why-in-the-hell would a player do this... Especially a player that bageled Pliskova in the first set the last (first) time they played... Anyone who is completely delusional enough to think her MTOs are tactical, especially after missing so much tennis with terrible injuries, just needs to give their friggin’ heads a shake...

Really this absurd and contrived knock on Andreescu needs to stop...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Against naomi in third set, she was acting like she was so tired or injured or whatever making faces and thrn once she also started limping and then next game she was playing awesome. That is very annoying and fake.

·
Registered
14,691 Posts
Bianca did take an MTO in Toronto against Pliskova when she was down 2-5 in the 2nd set. She was super dramatic in the Kasatkina match, check the thread on it

Blaming Bianca's reputation on Kerber's statement is misguided. She earned it herself. Kerber's an intensely guarded person who doesn't like to be involved in any controversy. If she's angry enough to say something like that, you can bet there's truth to it. I'm not doubting Bianca's injuries but the over the top theatrics is what annoys people. The tennis community is catching on to her antics now, just look at the replies of stubbs' tweet

You picked the wrong tweet.

That time it was the umpire who ordered Bianca to stop playing and get treated. Stubbsy was wrong there and showing her outdated-era sense given that in modern tennis, players aren't allowed to play while visibly bleeding. No matter how small the cut, if the umpire notices one drop of blood, the player will be forced to undergo medical timeout.

Players may "paint the lines" but only with balls, not with actual red paint.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
It sure brought attention to what a lot people were thinking, and made other players aware of the MTOs (imagined or real). Even Pliskova said something similar when she played her.

I do think she tried to reduced the theatrics a bit thereafter, and stopped with returning those balls. Danke schön Angie!

·
Registered
30,794 Posts
Who knows? At that age, a player is still figuring things out, they are a lot more impressionable than we tend to think. This is why drawing conclusions about anyone under the age of 20 is a fool's game. Also, her whole life changed this year, there's a lot to adapt to, a lot to process. There's no question that she down-shifted the BS at a certain point during the US Open this year and that that more or less characterized the rest of her season. But the people on this thread can't possibly know what's going on in her head when she herself is still sorting it out.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
She has managed to piss off and disrespect two top stars in 2019, Angelique Kerber and Karolina Pliskova.

I can’t see her changing for the better next year. The drama will be entertaining, at least.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look at all these top 5 professional tennis players who know what it’s like to be injury-prone and compete at the highest level on tour...it’s amazing that you all know what’s going on with Bianca’s body during every match. :rolleyes: Just say you hate that she’s so good and go, you don’t have to hide behind these absurd claims. You’re literally doing exactly what Kerber did. She hates that Bianca is clearly better than her and chose to express her anger with a baseless accusation. Shows who the real drama queens are...:grin2:

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Don't understand this girl, she has such a great game. IMO she doesn't need the drama show. Kerber told her opinion right and straight into her face, good for her :yeah:

Back to topic - no, Andreescu was also a drama queen in Toronto and New York.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts