Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She had numerous opportunities to close out this match in the second set and the third so did she choke?????

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Did she choke? Depends on definitions I guess. But she did play not to lose. When you alter your play due to a desire to win, one tends to focus more on losing than winning. Serena does this all the time, but somehow wills her way through it. It is normal when you desire to win so bad. My problem with Jen is she did it twice! Yeah she choked! :eek:

·
In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
I belive she did...... I mean how can you have so many oppertuntites and not be able to take any of them? I love cappy to death, but she has to put her opponents away when she has the chances, and she just didnt, which to mean euqates to choking. She proved tonight she still has the game AND the fitness to hang with teh big guns, but Im wondering where her heart is... Maybe it'll come back after a loss like this, only time will tell.
We love ya anyways Cappy!!!

·
Registered
14,225 Posts
Very true Irma. If she had played the game that she had done to actually get her in those winning postions in the first place she would've won. Jen was playing into Justine's hands. I mean trading backhand slices crosscourt against Justine, that's not her natural game.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
She Choked!!!!!

Big Time.

No Way Venus and Serena would have give up that many points to close out a Championship.

Cappy was up 5-3 in the second set......I can see her giving away a point to equate 5-4, but 7!!!

Thank God I'm a Williams fan, cause they don't play like this when the going get tough. Cappy lacked that "Foot on Your Throat - This Match is Mine" attitude.

She backed up, instead of moving forward. She tried to wait on Justine's errors to her demise.

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
Yes she did choke. That was probably one of the biggest chokes I've seen recently. She had many chances to close out the match, up 5-3 in the 2nd and 5-2 in the 3rd. Then whenever she started getting close to winning she'd make more errors. Yes definitely she choked, like shes done so many times this year against top players. I wonder why Kim is always called a choker and Capriati isnt when Jen has been choking much more than Kim.

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts
move over Kim Clijsters, we have a new choking queen in Jennifer Capriati. it's gonna take a major choke job for someone else to dethrone Capriati

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Yes, and she even admits it in her press conference. Her shots weren't the same in those games. Also, remember she faulted 3 times in a row in the 5-3 game of the 2nd set.

Jennifer was holding derve decently all night - except the times when she was serving for the match.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Just rewatched the match. Justine plays some amazing precision shots to stay in and win the second and to stay in the third. I don't think Jen has that level of ability. Jen could play side to side tennis in 91 when she ws barely a teenager so that wasn't going to win for Henin - what was going to be a problem was Henin's skill and backhand strikes and it proved to be so. If you watch the QF Schiavone took Jen apart for two games by doing the same thing - Henin just did it at the key moments and had a bigger psychological effect in the end on Jen I think. The tiebreak was different but there are very few players who would be able to get it together and come back in the first set, again at the start of the second and again after seeing the third set lead vanish. Even Graf and Seles only had so many surges per match in them (FO 92, USO 95)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't say she chocked. I think she played excellent. And the old cliche, It was decided within a couple of points. I think Justine played the Big points well. I don't think Jenn chocked on them. If Jenn was to have chocked she would have squandered alot of match points and 0-40 15-40 situations.

The fact Jenn shouted so much, was to pump herself up and went for it, to set up the big points, but Henin was good when it came to them.

Overall I think Capriati was the better player.

·
In my new place!!
22,957 Posts
Goal_Post said:
I wouldn't say she chocked. I think she played excellent. And the old cliche, It was decided within a couple of points. I think Justine played the Big points well. I don't think Jenn chocked on them. If Jenn was to have chocked she would have squandered alot of match points and 0-40 15-40 situations.

The fact Jenn shouted so much, was to pump herself up and went for it, to set up the big points, but Henin was good when it came to them.

No matter what the outcome wa,s I agree 100% with that comment.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Goal_Post said:

You seem to contradict yourself. If the enfant terrible played the big points better then wouldn't that mean she was the better player? In tennis its all about the big points, they win matches if you play them better or lose them if you don't.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Question: Did Jen Choke........?

Big time. As someone else posted, that was a meltdown of Sabatini proportions ;) Twice, in two different sets, she had a 5-3 lead and a chance to serve it out. She lost those sets 5-7 and 6-7, and I hear at the end she was chucking her racquet and generally having an emotional meltdown.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You seem to contradict yourself. If the enfant terrible played the big points better then wouldn't that mean she was the better player? In tennis its all about the big points, they win matches if you play them better or lose them if you don't.
Exactly Jenn didn't have any match points, so she didn't squander them, to be able to choke on them. Jen toke advantage of the Break points she did have. She built up misleading leads. Even though up 5-2 it wasn't two breaks but only 1.

Justine suffered from cramps and therefore decided to go for her shots, by chance they went in at the crucial times. 30-30. Meaning she played the big points well.

But anyway, I still belive Jenn was the better player overall.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
When your tension rises, it doesn't mean exactly a choke. Whenever Jennifer was serving for the match, she was fighting her tension and played conservatively. She managed every time to gain control of that tension but just a bit too late. A choke is when you're overwhelmed by that tension and never recover, which is the case when you lose 5-7 after reaching 5-1.

So, to me, she didn't completely choke. As for who was the better player out there, these stats tell it all:
Code:
				Cappy			Justine

Break Point Conversions		7 of 11 = 64 %		7 of 14 = 50 %

Net Approaches			19 of 31 = 61 %		28 of 48 = 58 %

Total Points Won		[color=red][b]127			127[/color][/b]

Fastest Serve			113 MPH			110 MPH

Average 1st Serve Speed		96 MPH			101 MPH

Average 2nd Serve Speed		85 MPH			82 MPH
They were pretty much even.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.