Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen the match, but I wonder if fitness has played a roll in Jen getting demolished in her second straigt Grand Slam. It's so un Jen-like that she's been losing her Grand Slam matches so easily. Last year, all four Slam losses were in three sets. I'm reminded of Pete Sampras' easy defeats in the 2000 and 2001 US Open finals, when he ran out of gas. Maybe Serena just played unbelievably and fitness wasn't an issue, but I haven't seen the match (and don't plan on to watch it either!)

Jen looks a little thinner to me this year, but that doesn't mean she's fitter. I think being a year older doesn't help matters, nor did that back injury which hampered her fitness. I think she's going to need to work extremely hard on her conditioning in the next two months.

On a happier note, this is the happiest I have EVER seen Jennifer and she really impressed me by her maturity. It was great to see her going to this tournament alone. I think this is more important than winning tournaments.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Certainly the commentators on BBC (British Television) seemed to think this was a crucial factor.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Oh please... :rolleyes: I have to give you credit that you didn`t see the match but believe me, Serena played like :eek: WOW and Jen had an off day.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
jen seemed ok she was trying to chase down balls and was reaching a lot of them so i dont think that fitness was an issue.i think the crowd could have done a hell of a lot more to help her

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
justinhosbey said:
Fitness was a factor in a 45 minute, straight set match?
Not really. Serena was devastating, absolutely no doubt but Capriati does look very unfit.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Cappy was running down many shots... i dun think she was tired at all...

·
Banned
2,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to know why Jen can't build on these big wins that she's having. She played AWESOME tennis against Petrova yesterday. Did those rallies take something out of her? Were the ghosts of US Open past haunting her?

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Fitness? I watched this match. She looked like she just woke up
I have no idea what was the problem? It was weird.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
She looks unfit compared to Serena.

It looks as if Mary Carillo was right.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
OMG! I can't believe Capriati is all of a sudden unfit when she beat Serena in both encounters on clay I think. I really think it was the clay surface but I'm not going to now say Capriati is unfit. This is soo weird. I'm in shock.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
if u look we r not blaming the loss on fitness it was a question asked by someone who didnt see the match so the ppl that did c it replied saying she looked fine fitness wise!!!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
of course jenny LOOKS unfit..she certainly doesnt show it but throughout 2 weeks it may be a factor..I think a big part of it is mental as well..its obvious that she wants to win a Grand Slam but she just cant win those important matches (QF, SF) to get there..

I think she may need a sports psychologist

·
Registered
303 Posts
serena was jst on fire 2day!Jen had an off day!she'll b back no doubt

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just saw the match, I am a big Fan of Serena, but she did not play great. Jenn had one of her worst match I have ever see. No rythm, no movement, no inspiration, she just wasn't there. Not particulary a great performance by Serena, just an abysmal one by Jenn. And yes Fitness was a factor, she seems a step slower, and even our commentator said that she had gain some weight and that did not help her.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I wish Jennifer would get a clue and stop wearing those body-hugging outfits!
She just doesn't have the right figure for it, especially when she's overweight
like she is now. I actually wish ALL the women would stop trying to seemingly
win the award for the tightest/most revealing outfit. Maybe the men like it,
but seeing nipples thrusting and butt cracks showing isn't my idea of high
fashion. And I'm not a prude!! I miss good 'ol shirt and skirt combos, or better
yet, the classic tennis dress (one preferably NOT skin-tight). If I was a pro
tennis player, I don't think I would be comfortable wearing tight clothing
while running around the court--I need to feel free and easy when I'm playing
tennis. I swear I thought Tati's shorts were gonna fall off when she was
playing Serena yesterday!!! :eek: :devil:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts