Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean Anna at her best. and I also dont JUST mean looks.

I found that Ashleys backhand, in preperation and exectution was very similars to Anna's. Also the way she moved to take her shots, and the movement around the court was similar.

Am I the only one to notice this?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
naw your not. I didn't watch all the match just about...errr 5 minutes of it. They do have similar games, But Ashley hits harder from what I saw.

Congrats on her win. I hope she gets far.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Who the hell is Kournikova?

·
Registered
10,386 Posts
Ashley doesnt remind of Anna at all...I wish she had Anna's forehand instead of the one she has...

I guess maybe there is a slight similarity on the BH side now that I think of it...

Ashley has alot of developing to do...

*she needs to increase the racquet speed on her forehand
*she needs to strengthen her core
*and most importantly, she has got to get some pop on that serve...she places it well..but the mph is way too low...and she could use a lil more kick on the second

I also wish she would develop Anna's net game, which I think is one of the best

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Her BH is good, her FH is bad, her serve is pretty good.

Anna: Her physical game rocks, her mental game is the worst in tennis. JUST LIKE ME!:D

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Kournkova's name should not even me mention in a subjust with Ashley. Ashley is a much better player and unlike the Kourn girl, gets out of the 1st round of a grand slam.

Reactions: E. Blackadder

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Why does everyone want to compare upcoming players who do happen to look good with Kournikova????

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
---------------------------------------------------------
This is what I found in the garbage can today outside ESPN's studios.......

Officially starting May 28th, 2003, Ms. Daniela Hantuchova has been removed as covergirl to the WTA. Ms. Hantuchova has served in the post of glam queen and was a temporary fill-in for Anna Kournikova, who was the reigning queen. Due to Ms. Kournikova's on-going problems, the WTA has decided to permanently replace Ms. Kournikova with Ms. Ashley Harkleroad of Georgia, USA.

Ms. Harkleroad will assume the position of Glam queen and WTA covergirl after a very public thrashing ceremony in the Roland Garros stadium in the fashion capital of the world, Paris, France. Everyone is invited to witness the changing of the guards. We would like to thank Ms. Hantuchova for her services and eventhough she does not want to relinquish such duties, we still wish her the very best in all her endeavors as a top 10 player( and please get some help with that problem that kept the press whispering). Ms. Harkleroad will assume the position and all duties immediately. We regret to announce that Anna Kournikova will not be in attendance for such ceremonies. Thank you (plese do not make this memo public) WTA media relations

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
NO.

She remind me of a sort of Cappy/Seles type.
That was one of the interesting points about
the match. Dani's style of play, and look is
very graceful, elegant, and dare I say a throw
back to the looking like there's not alot of
physical effort going on. Ashley on the
other hand was all grunts, squatting, sprinting,
making shots even if her form didn't look classic.
She plays a real aggro game like Serena, where
you and the last person in the cheap seats know
there's alot of physical effort going on. Sort of
the Bruce Springsteen of tennis school.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
The way Ashley choked after leading 5-1 in the 3rd DID remind me of Anna (well, not at the time, but now that you mention it).

But the way she recovered from her choke, the fierce way she fought after blowing her huge lead, emphatically DID NOT remind me of Kournikova.

If Kournikova possessed the drive, the determination, the fighting spirit, and the sheer WILL TO WIN that Ashley demonstrated today, she would not be in the fix she is in today.

It was a pleasure to learn that Ashley does have these qualities. She will do well. :)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I thought her backhand was similar to Anna but not her forehand. I also think Anna had a better serve when she fiirst came on the scene but for some reason Anna's serve is worse now than it used to be.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I thought esactly the same! She looked like Kournikova and played like her. Only, lets hope she keeps rising and doesn't make a slump.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
janie said:
The way Ashley choked after leading 5-1 in the 3rd DID remind me of Anna (well, not at the time, but now that you mention it).

But the way she recovered from her choke, the fierce way she fought after blowing her huge lead, emphatically DID NOT remind me of Kournikova.

If Kournikova possessed the drive, the determination, the fighting spirit, and the sheer WILL TO WIN that Ashley demonstrated today, she would not be in the fix she is in today.

It was a pleasure to learn that Ashley does have these qualities. She will do well. :)

Notatall....agree with Janie and Greenout. Harkleroad was scrappin out there, getting down and dirty in the red dirt! She had a never say die attitude and she demostrated some grit out there. Never once did she flip a ponytail! :p

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Shouldn't CLOWN threads be in non-tennis.

leaves CHUCKLING.:)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
When I worked at Hopman Camp, I always thought she was Kournikova... and I was nervous... I guess she was 16 at that time!

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
She reminded me of Kournikova in her movement and shots on the run. She had some WHEELS on her just like Anna and both hit the ball extremely flat and hard on the run.

I definitely noticed the similarities.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
i only saw some highlights of the match where ashley was running the balls and yes, it did remind of me anna's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts