Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details on Tennis Channel Coverage of the French Open
May 23rd, 2007

Years of fan frustration with The Tennis Channel may be coming to an end next week with its inaugural coverage of the French Open. The network has netted a whole host of plans including new advertisers, a contest, specialized analysis, big names in tennis, and surely some big fun.

OTB has the low-down of what’s in store:

Tennis legends John McEnroe and Martina Navritilova have been retained to provide live match commentary.

A special show entitled, “French Open Tonight” with host Bill Macatee, will provide fans with a specialty recap of the days events, including interviews with analysts and players. The show will also include themes involving the art, the food, and the exquisite life along the Seine. The 3.5 hour show will air every night during primetime.

To support FOT, TTC will be out and around the City of Lights with a two-level mobile set-up rigged to reach 50-feet in the air. The mobile unit will provide viewers with a unique view of the city, and beautiful Parisian locales including Notre Dame, the Moulin Rouge, the Bastille, and Vaux le Vicomte.

For their inaugural French Open telecasts, TTC has secured advertising from a slew of big names including: Land Rover, LaCoste, Coppertone, Zatarain’s Rice, and financial-services company Raymond James. In addition, advertising from Tennis Warehouse, Har-Tru, Nike Tennis Camps, Head, and Penn have stepped up for the first time to partner with television’s only tennis network.

TTC, which currently serves about 10 million subscribers, will provide more than 100 match hours. It has also obtained agreements with satellite-TV provider DirecTV, which will open their line-ups to another 40 million subscribers collectively.

DirecTV will offer a free preview of TTC for its subscribers, and will serve up multiple-court coverage via a special “French Open Mix” channel, featuring all live feeds from a variety of different courts around Roland Garros.

TTC is hosting the Passport to Paris sweepstakes which is featured both online and at some 2,000 retail locations across the U.S. The contest, in conjunction with Chamerre wines, will provide lucky winners with a prize package of a trip to the 2008 French Open.

The Tennis Channel’s coverage will also feature sponsor-supported segments from tennis manufacturers Head racquets and Penn tennis balls. For example, every day during the tourney, analysts McEnroe and Navritilova will select “Head’s Extreme Shots” of the day.

TTC has also teamed up with Canon during its French Open Tonight show to bring fans “Maria Sharapova’s PowerShots of Paris”, a series of vignettes highlighting the work of photographers from around the city.

TTC is also kickin’ up its serve on broadband. As many as four matches a day will be available via web streaming at thetennischannel.com.

The TTC website also will offer archival matches, highlights and original TTC content.

The network is also finalizing a deal with Yahoo! Sports for special clips and highlights.

Get ready to tear it up on the Terre Battue!

Complete U.S. TV schedule for the Fortnight:

Note: All times are ET

Sunday, May 27, 2007
First Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)
Early Rounds - ESPN2 - 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm

Monday, May 28, 2007
First Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 3:00 pm (LIVE)

Tuesday, May 29, 2007
First Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)
Early Rounds - ESPN2 - 12:00 pm to 6:30 pm

Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Second Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)

Thursday, May 31, 2007
Second Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)

Friday, June 1, 2007
Third Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 3:00 pm (LIVE)
Early Rounds - ESPN2 - 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm

Saturday, June 2, 2007
Third Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)
Early Rounds - NBC - 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm (DELAY)

Sunday, June 3, 2007
Third Round - TTC - 5:00 am to 1:00 pm
Early Rounds - NBC - 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm (DELAY)

Monday, June 4, 2007
Fourth Round - TTC - 6:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)
Round of Sixteen - ESPN2 - 12:00 pm to 6:30 pm

Tuesday, June 5, 2007
Women’s QF - TTC - 6:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)
Men’s & Women’s QF - ESPN2 - 12:00 pm to 6:30 pm

Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Men’s QF - TTC - 6:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)
Men’s QF - ESPN2 - 12:00 pm to 6:30 pm

Thursday, June 7, 2007
Men’s Doubles SF - TTC - 5:00 am to 8:00 am (LIVE)
Women’s SF - ESPN2 - 8:00 am to 1:00 pm (LIVE)
Women’s SF - TTC - 1:00 pm (LIVE)

Friday, June 8, 2007
Men’s SF - NBC - 10:00 am to 1:00 pm (LIVE)

Saturday, June 9, 2007
Women’s Final - NBC - 9:00 am to 12:00 pm (LIVE)

Sunday, June 10, 2007
Men’s Final - NBC - 9:00 am to 2:00 pm

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
They've been doing a great job with programming leading up to RG, so I'm hopeful. I'm just worried that they'll show 5 ATP matches for every 1 WTA.

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
TTC is ok with me as long as they keep that creepy Jensen guy from in front of the camera.

I'm even willing to overlook the fact that their scheduling is hardly ever consistent with the one posted on the television guide's.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Im wondering whether Sharapova was maybe forced by sponsors to return for the FO instead of prepping for Wimbledon...

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
i hope they don't just show mens matches like they did at IW and Miami :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
i hope they don't just show mens matches like they did at IW and Miami :rolleyes:
I think with RG they won't be obligated to only show men's matches. They have a deal with the ATP that they don't have in place for the WTA when it comes to Masters vs. Tier I's. Shouldn't affect the slams.

My guess is that they'll just use the same order to decide which matches to show as ESPN2 has:

1. Andy Roddick
2. James Blake
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Roger Federer
5. Serena Williams
6. Venus Williams
7. Rafael Nadal
8. any other reasonably high ranked US player like Fish or Ginepri
9. a top or high profile non-American male player like Safin
10. a top or high profile non-American female player like Mauresmo or Henin or a prettier one like Vaidisova
11. any other non-American male player
12. any other American female player
13. any other non-American female player

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
I think with RG they won't be obligated to only show men's matches. They have a deal with the ATP that they don't have in place for the WTA when it comes to Masters vs. Tier I's. Shouldn't affect the slams.

My guess is that they'll just use the same order to decide which matches to show as ESPN2 has:

1. Andy Roddick
2. James Blake
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Roger Federer
5. Serena Williams
6. Venus Williams
7. Rafael Nadal
8. any other reasonably high ranked US player like Fish or Ginepri
9. a top or high profile non-American male player like Safin
10. a top or high profile non-American female player like Mauresmo or Henin or a prettier one like Vaidisova
11. any other non-American male player
12. any other American female player
13. any other non-American female player
well i highly doubt any American male players will survive after week 1 :tape: which hopefully means more womens tennis :)

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
well i highly doubt any American male players will survive after week 1 :tape: which hopefully means more womens tennis :)
:lol: :lol: Absolutely right! I hope.

Also, coverage on TTC won't be competing with live hot dog eating contests and 2nd rate college basketball tournies. I mean, how hard is the decision to pre-empt repeat #53,234 of "Center Court: Mary Carillo"? I think we'll be pleased.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
I'm pretty sure, with ESPN2 still doing their usual top player coverage, TTC will do a good job. And yes, if I can get my self to turn the TV on, I'll be watching them open their coverage up at 5am Sunday. :eek: :p

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
I'm pretty sure, with ESPN2 still doing their usual top player coverage, TTC will do a good job. And yes, if I can get my self to turn the TV on, I'll be watching them open their coverage up at 5am Sunday. :eek: :p
I definitely will since it's only 2 AM here and I'm a night owl. Can't wait. Hope whatever it is to start is a decent match.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Broadcast Schedule

Updated: May 23, 2007, 3:16 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print

DATE TIME (ET) ROUND NETWORK
May 27 5 a.m.-Noon Early-round coverage (live) Tennis Channel
May 27 Noon- 5 p.m. Early-round coverage ESPN2
May 28 5 a.m.-3 p.m. Early-round coverage (live) Tennis Channel
May 29 5 a.m.-Noon Early-round coverage (live) Tennis Channel
May 29 Noon-6:30 p.m. Early-round coverage ESPN2
May 30 5 a.m.-Noon Early-round coverage (live) Tennis Channel
May 30 Noon-6:30 p.m. Early-round coverage ESPN2
May 31 5 a.m.-Noon Early-round coverage (live) Tennis Channel
May 31 Noon-6:30 p.m. Early-round coverage ESPN2
June 1 5 a.m.-3 p.m. Early-round coverage (live) Tennis Channel
June 1 3-6:30 p.m. Early-round coverage ESPN2
June 2 5 a.m.-1 p.m. Early-round coverage (live) Tennis Channel
June 2 1-4 p.m. Early-round coverage (live) NBC
June 3 5 a.m.-1 p.m. Round of 16 (live) Tennis Channel
June 3 1-4 p.m. Round of 16 NBC
June 4 6 a.m.-Noon Round of 16 (live) Tennis Channel
June 4 Noon-6:30 p.m. Round of 16 ESPN2
June 5 6 a.m.-Noon Quarterfinals (live) Tennis Channel
June 5 Noon-6:30 p.m. Quarterfinals ESPN2
June 6 6 a.m.-Noon Quarterfinals Tennis Channel
June 6 Noon-6:30 p.m. Quarterfinals ESPN2
June 7 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Women's Semifinals (live) ESPN2
June 7 1-6:30 p.m. Women's Semifinals Tennis Channel
June 8 4-11 p.m. Men's Semifinals Tennis Channel
June 8 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Men's semifinals NBC
June 8 4-7 p.m. Men's semifinals Tennis Channel
June 9 9 a.m.-noon Women's final (live) NBC
June 10 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Men's final (live) NBC

·
Registered
25,074 Posts
Enjoy your Nadal & Federer matches! :lol:
Yeah, babe, Sharapova and Serena could be @ 9-9 all in the third, and Pat Mc is still gonna make them broadcast a routine match of Chela vs Rochus(unless, of course, Andy Roddick is in the area).

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Yeah, babe, Sharapova and Serena could be @ 9-9 all in the third, and Pat Mc is still gonna make them broadcast a routine match of Chela vs Rochus(unless, of course, Andy Roddick is in the area).
I hope they'll cut away from match to match like ESPN does sometimes if one gets interesting. Although it sucks for people who want to see their favs in an entire match, I think it's better for the audience as a whole.

Sharapova vs. Serena would *PROBABLY* usurp Chela/Rochus :lol: but who can ever be sure with them?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I can't wait to watch their coverage,I hope this is the beginning of other improvements to the channel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts