Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if anyone will want to tackle these, but here goes:

1. For qualifiers advancing beyond Round One, are the Round points earned in qualifying retained or not?

The 2002 SANEX WTA RANKINGS document in the sanexwtatour site implies both in the same paragraph (Page 2, the second bullet point under "Singles"):

"In Tournaments where prize money is $25,000 or greater, with regard to Round points: Qualifiers earn Main Draw points based on the highest round reached in the Main Draw plus the Round points specified in the Qualifier (QLFR) column. ... Qualifiers retain the Quality points earned in qualifying, but not the Qualifying Round points."

2. Why did Alexandra Stevenson earn 123 points in Tokyo?

Qualifying Quality points 7 points
beat Liezel HORN-HUBER (ranked 157: 2 points)
beat Abigail SPEARS (ranked 252: 1 point)
beat Wynne PRAKUSYA (ranked 101: 4 points)

Qualifying Round points 17 points

Main Draw Quality points 27 points
beat Katarina SREBOTNIK (ranked 93: 4 points)
beat Amanda COETZER (ranked 19: 23 points)

Main Draw Round points 69 points, for reaching QF

7 + 17 + 27 + 69 = 120 (not 123)

[Before Tokyo, Stevenson had 713.75 points (according to the acemantennis site). Now, after Tokyo, she has 834.75 - a difference of 121. I figure her 17th tournament was worth 2 points and was bumped off. The acemantennis "Pts Add" column says "123", which I presume means the number of points earned in the previous tournament.]

I've presumably done my sums wrong somewhere. But your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find out where!

3. Why is it that sites that give detailed ranking data (e.g. acemantennis or Jannak's site) have a column for 18th best tournament and not 17th best tournament? Surely the 17th best tournament is just as significant since the points earned in that tournament are discounted as soon as the player exceeds that number of points in the current tournament.

Thanks a lot. (If you're still reading, congratulations!)

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
As far as I know, only lucky losers have to give up any of their points from qualifying.

As for question #3, it is a good one. The best answer I can give is that the WTA probably feels it would clutter and confuse the rankings to have that extra category. It is a handy number to know, though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
About Alexandra's points... I think you have it right except that qualifers in Tier I event receive 17 points (not 7) plus quality, *I think*.

Not sure about no3. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good questions.

I think that there is only one reasonable explanation to Alexandra's points - she d. Asa Svensson (not Abigail Spears) in 2nd round of qualifying...
According to latest rankings Svensson (ranked 83: 4 points) received 6,25 points from Tokyo and Spears only 1 point.

10+17+27+69=123

·
Moderator - Challengers &, Chicas Latinas
17,230 Posts
yes! :D tokyo site was wrong :D Asa beat abigail and not lost to her! :D she lost to Alex 2-6 4-6.

·
Moderator - Challengers &, Chicas Latinas
17,230 Posts
TBE Emailed Jim the guy of the ranks. And they will correct ranks next week. Abigail bt. Asa :sad:

Thanks TBE! :D :bounce:

·
Premium Member
181,848 Posts
I was shocked by that as well, didnt realise until Alx told me then :eek:

Abigail Spears should be ranked 240 and not 254

they will alter it next week but it has repercussions on future seedings spots in challengers.

Hope Abigail is ok for next week

·
Premium Member
181,848 Posts
Alexandra Stevensons pts should be ok for next week as well

they thought she beat Asa, the wrong score was axed thru from Tokyo

So Alexandra will have 3 pts coming off

·
Premium Member
181,848 Posts
As for Q1

i think that should read lucky losers, they are the ones that don't retain Qualifying rd pts if they advance beyond 1st rd in MD

but they do keep quality pts

As for #3 ??? too complex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts