Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly in my country 4 5ths of the current top 20 are virtually unknown to the general pulic.

·
Banned
959 Posts
Stephanie Dubois, I think she is one of those Ones to Watch on Tennis Canada. But she has yet to played on tv unlike many of the old Canadian veterans who got WC's into Canadian Open year after year:rolleyes: And got their faces shown on tv.

·
Banned
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys clearly misunderstood my question.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,788 Posts
The Netherlands doesn't have a lot of good players. Some people may remember Miriam Oremans and Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, who had good rankings, and Kristie Boogert, who is still injured. Besides that, they only seem to know Michaëlla Krajicek, because there has been a lot of limelight for her. Elise Tamaëla, Seda Noorlander, Anoushka van Exel are all unknown to the public.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I hardly know any Russians who are interested in tennis. So I guess that maybe aside from Myskina, Sharapova and (unlikely) Dementieva that many players are known. Pick anyone of the Russians not named.

·
Banned
6,784 Posts
I have noticed that for years at the french open the following players go unnoticed, but most players do there. and those are ostensibly tennis fans.

Chladkova, Casanova, kuznetsova, Maleeva, Pisnik, Shaughnessy, Smahsnova-Pistolesi, Sprem and tons of others. Nobody recongnizes them generally, just me and perhaps one or two people...the rest of the fans stand around taking pictures but not having the slightest clue who they are.

·
Registered
11,598 Posts
Of course Kim and Justine are the most well-known players in Belgium, Els Callens and
Kirsten Flipkens a little and I think that all the others are unknown:
Evelyne Van Hyfte
Caroline Maes
Debbrich Feys
Leslie Butkiewicz
Stefanie De Laet
etc...

Els Callens is a pretty good player but she always lived in the shadow of other players in the 90's Sabine Appelmans and Dominique Monami were the centre of attention and now Kim and Justine.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,694 Posts
SJW said:
Serena Williams
Venus Williams
Anna Kournikova
and now Maria Sharapova :)
...we must live in different countries...those are the most well-known where I come from... :confused: ...my answer would have been everyone except those four... :)

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
Willow said:
...we must live in different countries...those are the most well-known where I come from... :confused: ...my answer would have been everyone except those four... :)
please start to make sense. you've already lost your sarcastic edge :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
CJK said:
Stephanie Dubois, I think she is one of those Ones to Watch on Tennis Canada. But she has yet to played on tv unlike many of the old Canadian veterans who got WC's into Canadian Open year after year:rolleyes: And got their faces shown on tv.
If I see Maureen Drake get her ass whipped one more time at the Canadian Open (on TV or live)... :mad:

Why Tennis Canada chooses year in, year out to give a WC to such an undeserving player is beyond me! :rolleyes:

I'd much rather see the up and coming players like Dubois, Marois, Zoricic, Wozniak, Ko, et al. NO MORE DRAKE! :fiery:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
id say in the us only the willliams are well know and cappy. not sure about davenport but definitly not raymond, shaughnessy, and frazier

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Justine Henin Hardenne. For a number 1 player in the world, no one really knows her. Tennis fans do of course, but regular non tennis fans don't. I mean, I know she's not American or anything, but Martina Hingis had much much more fame in the U.S than Henin Hardenne. Same with Clijsters. No non-tennis fans here in the U.S knows them, or at least very few do.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Yeah, most people in this country don't know any players that are not American. Recent players able to break that mold were Martina Hingis and Anna Kournikova, and now Maria Sharapova. I would have thought Justine winning the U.S. Open would have boosted her fame, but I think it would take her beating a Williams sister in a major final to make people notice her.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts