Tennis Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
I have been suffering from depression for many years. .. . unfortunately drugs mostly don't work in my case - with only one working for a couple of months, and effective psychotherapy hard to find.

·
Registered
10,979 Posts
Recently I'm under the impression that virtually every one has some form or depression. Which makes me wonder if depression isn't something intrinsic to human nature, that everyone's susceptible.
Good point - perhaps it’s the coping mechanisms / abilities that are more variable than depression itself

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I have been suffering from depression for many years. .. . unfortunately drugs mostly don't work in my case - with only one working for a couple of months, and effective psychotherapy hard to find.
Which drugs did you try?

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Recently I'm under the impression that virtually every one has some form or depression. Which makes me wonder if depression isn't something intrinsic to human nature, that everyone's susceptible.
I think it needs to be understood that depression and anxiety are not as such mental health disorders that only a small percentage of people will experience. They are part of the human experience and something people will have to deal with to various degrees at numerous points in their life. There are of course, people for whom these symptoms are more chronic, so the point where they experience it every day, and they find it difficult to function and cope. Or there are people who will go through a particularly bad patch, because of their circumstances e.g. loss of a loved one, losing theri job etc. And, it's definetly not something to be a shamed of. More people should talk about it. It certainly seems to be heading that way. This thread is a good start anyway.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Going through the (even extended) phase of sadness after your relative passes or after your divorce is normal, feeling anxiety before an exam is normal, not being physically able to get out of bed or make yourself food day after day after day is not normal. Let's not throw terms like depression around so easily. There are different terms for those light or temporary states, although I am not sure of them in English (and yes, they may require psychological assistance too). Because it leads to "c'mon everyone is depressed these days, stop faking"

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Yes. But the distinction between 'common' and 'real' depression is not so clear sometimes. I think it's possible to 'ignore' the developing depression up to a certain point. Waking up every morning, feeling like you've woken up in a nightmare rather than reality, but still proceeding with daily routine as if everything was normal? I wonder how long one can keep living this way.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
At my legal psychiatry classes at the university the professor said anything that goes over 2 weeks is already a mental health problem. So if you see something suddenly got seriously worse for 2 weeks without a break, nothing brings you joy at all (or much less than before), your sleeping routine is all over the place more than it was, you feel detached and can't get back, then you have a sign you should take action.

From what I know, taking action in early symptoms makes it much easier to really heal or at least to prevent transformation into a vegetable. This is a mistake I made and that's why it's so important to take care of teenagers' mental health which so often is neglected.

And actually, people who are super strong mentally, refuse any failure, go deeper and deeper for years against all the signals ("I must overcome this. I'm better than that. Surrendering is for the weak") snap at the most spectacular way. Also talking from first hand experience. Both mine and my dad's (he had a different mental problem than depression but his meltdown when I was 10 yo was the scariest, most traumatic thing I've seen in my life, jeezus christ. Fortunately - after more or less 20 years - I think he got a full remission but he worked on that for all that time).

·
Registered
11,776 Posts
Going through the (even extended) phase of sadness after your relative passes or after your divorce is normal, feeling anxiety before an exam is normal, not being physically able to get out of bed or make yourself food day after day after day is not normal. Let's not throw terms like depression around so easily. There are different terms for those light or temporary states, although I am not sure of them in English (and yes, they may require psychological assistance too). Because it leads to "c'mon everyone is depressed these days, stop faking"
And that is awful, that people could be so dismissive. BUT the sadness of a relative passing or after a divorce is essential the same feeling, leading to the same neurological response and in certain people in certain circumstances, it could lead to them being unable to get out of bed, neglecting personal hygiene, not eating or sleeping, not enjoying anything they used to etc. So what I'm saynig is, that the person who can't get out of bed, even if they haven't gone through recent difficult personal circsumtances, they are no more abnormal than anybody else. Also, I am not someone who thinks people shouldn't receive a diagnosis such as depression(there are a lot of people, with very valid and strong argument who do believe this), it can be useful for management and treatment. But if you have reached that stage, it's not a case of mental weakness or even lack of resilience. Everyone has different circumstances.

·
Registered
13,584 Posts
I've suffered from bipolar II, depression, and anxiety for many years now. Medication and therapy has helped me allot. I can go a long time feeling fine, and then all of the sudden spiral down. There are days when I can literally not function and get out of bed. Stress usually triggers my bipolar episodes. Thankfully I've been doing great the last couple of months :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts