Tennis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,309 Posts
Nice post Tee!

But she has reached a career high this week (No. 8) and has overtaken Myskina to become Russian Number 1.

If Dementieva develops consistency on her 1st serve and just adds a bit more pace to the 2nd, she can go very very far and I even predict that she'll win a GS! Opponents are very wary of her, even Serena needed to scout her out from Venus at Wimby as she was very aware of what Elena can do.

Elena is on an upward rise, but as we saw with Dokic and Hantuchova, its very easy to stumble all the way back down. To be a champion, you have to continually improve. Hopefully Elena got her slump years out of her system and is on the way to gaining some glory! :)

· Registered
4,309 Posts
A prediction is one thing, living up to that prediction is another.

I definitely agrre that there will be other Russians in the Top 10 soon, but the only girls who have Slam talent in them are Kournikova and Dementieva. The other girls all have one or more flaws that at the very top against a Belgian or Williams can be greatly exposed i.e. serve, movement, mental toughness, etc.

· Registered
4,309 Posts
Some people really underestimate Elena and her talent.

The girl has game, and a lot of it. But talent alone doesn't cut it at the top. Elena has obviously improved in a lot of areas, mainly mentality and consistency, therefore she is starting to build up better results.

Her serve is going to be a major factor for her in the future, but as long as it improves, she can/will make further inroads in the rankings. I mean she has defeated Top 10 players with THAT serve, so its only a true indication of how good Elena is.

Another factor will be injury, as long as she does not overplay and her body holds up, she can be a top player.

I've seen a lot of the other Russian girls matches, and being both biased and objective, what Elena has in her game is what all the others are lacking.

In addition, Elena has proved her worth on every surface, which makes her a dangerous threat everywhere.

Tee, in a few months, Elena will still be on top! ;)

· Registered
4,309 Posts
I believe in Elena, although her left foor is bothering her.

But Henin showed us what she can do at the USO in her SF and F, so I have faith that Elena, with the right treatment, will regroup and play awesome tennis and win two more matches!

Good luck Elena! :) If injured, I'd be happier if she pulled out tho!

· Registered
4,309 Posts
Elena shows again that she definitely has something the other girls don't AT THIS TIME (and for the foreseeable future IMO).

She's won another title, displaying consistency and can challenge anyone in the Top 10. The only person who could really overpower and dominate Elena is Serena, but that is the case for everyone.

If Elena believes in herself, then she can defeat the Belgians and Williams.

Lets hope Elena can keep on rising! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.