9,812 Posts
just watched the video
Lena :hug:
hope she is not too sad for her return to tennis

·
Registered
115,300 Posts
This is a big event in Moscow

Washington - Former presidents George HW Bush and Bill Clinton will lead the US delegation attending the funeral of former Russian President Boris Yeltsin, said the White House on Tuesday.
White House spokesperson Dana Perino said the two would leave New York on Tuesday night and travel together to Moscow for the state funeral on Wednesday.
Yeltsin, 76, died on Monday from heart failure and was the first democratically elected Russian president.
He presided over the dismantling of the Soviet Union and led Russia in its first chaotic years of independence.
Of the two US ex-presidents, Clinton had the closer connection to Yeltsin.
The two leaders, dubbed the "Boris and Bill Show" on the world stage, held sway in the 1990s with a series of high-profile meetings across the globe as the Clinton White House tried to help steer Moscow's transition to democracy. They met more than 15 times, starting in Vancouver, Canada, in 1993 and continuing until 2000, when Clinton made his final trip to Moscow as president to see Yeltsin's newly empowered successor, Vladimir Putin.

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...103918,00.html

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/N...103492,00.html

Day of mourning for Yeltsin
23/04/2007

Moscow - Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday declared a day of mourning for Boris Yeltsin, who he said had helped give birth to a "new democratic Russia".
Yeltsin, who ruled Russia from 1991 to 1999, died on Monday aged 76.
Russia will pay its respects with a national day of mourning on April 25, Putin said.
"He was the first Russian president. With this title he has for ever entered the history of the country and the whole world," Putin said at the Novo-Ogaryovo presidential residency outside Moscow.
"A man passed away, thanks to whom a whole new epoch was born. New democratic Russia was born, a free state open to the world.
"The state in which power truly belongs to the people," Putin said. "We will do everything so that the memory of Boris Nikolayevich Yeltsin, his noble thoughts, his words: 'protect Russia' always serve us as moral and political guidelines," Putin said.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
from wtatour.ru

Dementieva:

Myskina (also Youzhny and Tarpischev):

·
Registered
115,300 Posts
Excellent, thanks!

·
Registered
23,560 Posts
Lena saying something thereE?

·
Registered
860 Posts
yes, i saw it on tv today from the memorial to the funeral...it was very emotional..my prayers are with the family!:sad:

·
Everything Fades Away
130,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now who will hold their hands up when they win the Moskow tourney :sad:

·
Registered
23,560 Posts
any other RUssian tennis player not pplaying tournaments were theere?

Sharapova? Kafelnikov?

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Yes, hopefully both Lena and Nasty will be inspired to win some tournaments now.

His legacy is not perfect, and history may change its verdict, but there is no question he helped shape Russia and the rest of the world. He presided over a very difficult time, and there are many who would have done much worse.

I think he will go down as one of the "Near Great" figures of Russian history.

·
Banned
9,786 Posts
I think he will go down as one of the "Near Great" figures of Russian history.
B.N. is one of five figures (along with Petr I, Ekaterina II, Alexandr II, and Stalin) who made the biggest impact on Russian history. He provided us a choice to live how WE want and to do what WE want. Those who chose to work have succeeded or done Ok at least; those who chose to whine and drink have failed. But that's how it should be in reality.

·
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect
32,385 Posts
I recognized her then ;) Why did the French TV ( France 3 ) not mention it was Elena ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
AnnaK- Very well put! Whatever his flaws, Boris is one of the truly great men in Russia^s history. May he R.I.P. Saw some of the funeral service on tv. It was very beautiful and moving. What was interesting is that Boris had that beautiful chruch rebuilt after it had been destroyed by the Communists.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts