Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read Dokic's interview and I was annoyed reading how she described her loss.
In her words there was just a little consideration of Mary's skills,and of her talent,and she told that she completely lost the match herself,and that Mary didn't win it.The haughty girl forgot that Mary granted her in the 2nd set,and that would be a much more severe score than losing in a 3rd set tiebreak!
However,that's the part where Jelena told about her loss:

"Q. You said at 5-1 in the third you thought the match was over. Actually, Mary said the same. How would you characterize the way you felt? Were you overconfident or were you nervous?

JELENA DOKIC: Nervous. I was confident when I broke her at 1-All to go up 2-1. I won three straight games. I was playing really well. I was attacking. She couldn't do anything. Okay, she held serve at 5-1. She served well. But I shouldn't have let her get away with two breaks, 5-2 and 5-4, serving. I think I even had 15-Love at 5-4.

I think where I made a mistake was at 15-All where I had a really high ball, I should have hit in the air. I got really nervous. That's basically why I lost. I got tight. I lost the match myself; she didn't win it. I beat myself."

I hope Jelena stop speaking with this kind of pride and accept what the court said.Yesterday Mary was the best.Allez,Mary:)

·
Registered
16,773 Posts
Here we go again! As Yoshie said, Jelena gives Mary a LOT of credit in that interview. Funny how people love to quote one portion of an interview that supports a view they already have of a player, and ignore the many parts that contradict that view. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
She was 5-1 up in the third, what is the probability of the opponent winning that set? very small right? you don't see many players loose from that gap in a third set.

Jelena did loose it for herself, though props for Mary for winning anyway :kiss: and exactly what Yoshie said, Jelena may not be the Fairy of the WTA, but the whole interview was filled with praise and accolades for Mary. Don't discriminate something she said that was true.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
hmmm when serena says similar things she gets mobbed but when dokic says it its "oh she just means she wants to do better...." ok... whatever... :lol:

go duckchick go glamazon

Reactions: selesfan

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Jelena has said so much worse that this is hardly a blip on the screen.

But yeah, she should be looking at why she lost that match. It was interesting to hear her say where she thought it all went wrong.

·
Registered
12,908 Posts
She didnt lose the match, Mary won it. Mary stepped it up and hit so many winners, she just hit Jelena off the court. If Mary lost she would have been the one to 'lose the match', as she was serving for it at 5-4 and had match points. If she wants to be disrespectful to the opponent, at least she should get her facts right.

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
NOW COME ON!!! If Jelena has said "Mary just picked up the pace and played better then me in the end, I had nothing left," we would ahve all been disapoitned, and also would have noticed she was lying through her teeth.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Experimentee said:
She didnt lose the match, Mary won it. Mary stepped it up and hit so many winners, she just hit Jelena off the court. If Mary lost she would have been the one to 'lose the match', as she was serving for it at 5-4 and had match points. If she wants to be disrespectful to the opponent, at least she should get her facts right.
In essence Mary did play well and stepped it up. But when you have a commanding lead of 5-1 in the third and eventually loose, its hard not to argue that you lost it for yourself. She had 2 breaks and to loose from there is a very small probablity I would suggest. I mean how many players do you see winning from 5-1 or any other commanding score in the third? Not many right. Jelena had 2 or 3 breaks and should of capatalised on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lindsayfan said:
ciao italianpiercefan,it's nice to see an other italian here.i hope you'll keep posting! ;)
Ciao:)Mi chiamo Giuseppe e ho 30 anni,vivo a CT ed ho sempre adorato Mary,sin dalle prime volte che l'ho vista disputare i tornei di Palermo e Cesena.
Sono felicissimo della sua attuale ripresa,e le auguro il meglio possibile.
Lei è una grande tennista,e sono convinto che lo dimostrerà ancora una volta.
Allez Mary.
Un salutone,rispondimi se vuoi:)
Ciao,
Giu:)

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
ditto rothes. she did give mary credit where it was due in other parts of the interview and i agree mary did play great to come back.........but all jelena needed was one game in essence just a few good shots in one of those games following 5-1!!

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
i also think the fact mary thought the score was 2-5 not 1-5 actually helped her...coming back from the latter wouldve been tougher mentally and her mindset wouldve been a bit different maybe..

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
SM said:
ditto rothes. she did give mary credit where it was due in other parts of the interview and i agree mary did play great to come back.........but all jelena needed was one game in essence just a few good shots in one of those games following 5-1!!

Did u watch the match!? Im assuming you seen it. When Mary was down 1-5 sure Dokic made errors, but Pierce came back and put alot of pressure on her smacking winners. Dokic couldn`t string the important points together where Mary started to.

Dokic is wrong saying mary didn`t win the match but Jelena herself lost it. Mary played great tennis from 1-5 down and pulled through.

Mareeee :kiss:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.